Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did more stacking today, maple, beech & ironwood. I made a few runs up the hill for the maple and then split & stacked the beech & ironwood.

104_4507.JPG

104_4508.JPG

104_4509.JPG

104_4510.JPG

104_4514.JPG

104_4516.JPG

my goodness, that is A LOT of wood!
All from damaged or trees that have something wrong with them. When I started on this forum I had a years worth of firewood but like members say, once you get a year ahead go for two if you have the room.

If I fill all our hardwood stacking areas by fall (almost six years worth) My age will be a John Elway with a Warren Moon after it.

I hauled two loads of pine off the hill today and then stacked it, I still have about half a load up on the hill. I decided that an area I hadn't been down in a few years needed checking so I cleared the trail so I could get down there. Pictured are some smaller downed ironwood, I bucked up one and then saw two bigger ones so I bucked those up, they're down here at the splitting area.

104_4517.JPG

104_4518.JPG

104_4519.JPG

104_4520.JPG

104_4521.JPG

104_4522.JPG

104_4523.JPG

Two friends and I had a 20 yard log load dropped off at a friend's house. My new (gift from Delta airlines) chainsaw got its first workout.
Bucked two pick up truck loads and brought them to my place. I think I need one more load to completely fill the shed again.

All oak.

Considering how much my friends need, we may need another 20 yard load dropped off.

IMG_20240317_155133265_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240317_154927985_HDR.jpg

Two friends and I had a 20 yard log load dropped off at a friend's house. My new (gift from Delta airlines) chainsaw got its first workout.
Bucked two pick up truck loads and brought them to my place. I think I need one more load to completely fill the shed again.

All oak.

Considering how much my friends need, we may need another 20 yard load dropped off.

View attachment 325855

View attachment 325856
Nice clean wood.

I hauled two loads of pine off the hill today and then stacked it, I still have about half a load up on the hill. I decided that an area I hadn't been down in a few years needed checking so I cleared the trail so I could get down there. Pictured are some smaller downed ironwood, I bucked up one and then saw two bigger ones so I bucked those up, they're down here at the splitting area.

View attachment 325848

View attachment 325849

View attachment 325850

View attachment 325851

View attachment 325852

View attachment 325853

View attachment 325854
Those ironwood rounds left unsplit will be nice for overnight loads in a few years...

Those ironwood rounds left unsplit will be nice for overnight loads in a few years...
Yes they will. This year I've been using them with beech for the overnight load, worked great so far.

I started splitting the bigger rounds a year or two ago.

In my post #328 I said this but left out some chit.

It should've said this, If I fill all our hardwood stacking areas by fall (almost six years worth) my age will be a John Elway with a Warren Moon after it when I'm done burning all the wood.

Reactions: Bobbob
Went over to pick up some rounds that one of my neighbors offered. Looked like a cord, maybe a cord and a half. He thought it had been on the ground since last fall, but his wife thought it had been longer than that. Unfortunately, looking more closely and pulling off some bark, there were some kind of larva. I'm not an expert - I can't tell the larva of one species from another. But many species are bad news. Hate to give up nearby free wood, but had to pass.

Reactions: Bobbob
Finished splitting the Ash, maple and pine and stuffing the Frankenstein shed. Some of pine piece from the lower part of the tree were a bit punky. Stacked those pieces on top of the maple as I doubt they will dry for next season. Questioning if they were even worth the effort.
Still have some room in each bay. but thinking I'll leave as is so the new stuff gets direct sun and wind.

punk.jpeg

shed_cmp.jpeg

We ended up getting 3 to 4 inches of snow so I plowed two driveways, ours and the neighbors. Tomorrow we could hit 39 so both driveways shouldn't have anything on them.

A bit later today we'll put in more pine and some hardwood for the colder nights coming at us.

Looks like you have white pine trees in your yard? Those pine cones make very good fire starters.

Nice clean wood.
then see this one. 27" dia oak. Had to quarter it to get it in the truck.
From the same log load, this stuff went to my friend.

Light truck so this was near the weight limit he wanted.

IMG_20240319_174928310_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have white pine trees in your yard? Those pine cones make very good fire starters.
7 100 footers. I’d love to get rid of them. $$$$ though. They are tough to access. Fall hazard toward the house and block my solar production and sunlight to my pool. On the flip side lots of summer shade though.

Good tip. I’ll collect them. My yard is riddled with them currently.

IMG_0295.jpeg

then see this one. 27" dia oak. Had to quarter it to get it in the truck.
From the same log load, this stuff went to my friend.

Light truck so this was near the weight limit he wanted.

View attachment 325943
Clean wood & cleaner wood. 👍

7 100 footers. I’d love to get rid of them. $$$$ though. They are tough to access. Fall hazard toward the house and block my solar production and sunlight to my pool. On the flip side lots of summer shade though.

Good tip. I’ll collect them. My yard is riddled with them currently.

View attachment 325944
I have the same deal in my back yard. The tops of all 4 of mine broke off in various storms in the past. Now they are maybe 50-60 ft. tall?
I fill multiple cardboard boxes with the cones. Stack them up for easy storage and clean carrying. (they can be pretty sappy)

Looks like a couple of yours had broken tops many years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickW
This morning we put in two loads of pine, I should've done it yesterday since the winds cut right through you today. We'll start burning pine again when spring returns. >>

Last load for me. Work to be done... (tho I'm halfway thru splitting the quarter rounds seen here - it's easy going with straight grained red oak...)

IMG_20240324_102736202_HDR.jpg

Since tonight should be the last cold night, today I moved a bunch of snow off the edge of the driveway so when it starts melting, it won't run across the driveway and then freeze at night.