Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Everything looks good--yea we are all trying to get ahead before the bad weather comes as well as looking forward to relaxing by a nice cozy fire just keep working everyone and like someone said to me at one time in my life: "just keep plugging".. Everything looking good..clancey

I helped the wife with a few things today and when they were done, we did our fall cleaning of the dryer pipe. The outside flapper or door wasn't closing all the way so I popped that off, I cleaned that up and the flapper or door is closing. We clean it in the spring and the fall so there wasn't much lint in the pipe.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We have everything ready to go for the colder temps moving in the week. I have not had a fire yet but the garage is filled. I just need to put the basement stove pipe together and we are ready. The summit on the forst floor is ready to go just need to light it up. We may see a snow mix this week with sone cold temps maybe in the 20's but we will see. By the end of the week we are supposed to see temps back in the 50's but winter is coming.

Second weekend of processing a pile of mostly hemlock. Much of it has been in the open for a few months in PNW weather, so it's pretty wet. Storing it for the 2025/2026 season.
Work Done 2023

Three loads of sticks from different areas went to the outside fireplace and another four loads of leaves went over to the same area I've been working on.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

All the branches I brought over to the outside fireplace the other day were reduced along with the one in the picture I brought over today. I did get some of the pine splits under the darker green cover burned too, they came from the trail clearing.

I had called it a year on the rain gauge but the amount of rain that was in the trailer was well over an inch, it was bone dry yesterday afternoon when I called it a day.

Picture 4137 is starting the fire, 4138 is the junk pine from trail clearing, 4139 & 4140 is the last of the branches I brought over the other day and 4141 is the last load of the day that went on the fire.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

I finally got away from trail work and did some splitting of a mother nature felled pine, most of it was bucked up except for the part in picture 4147.

Picture 4145 is the first pile and 4152 is the last pile of pine. Hopefully this is off the hill and stacked by next weekend.

104_4145.JPG 104_4147.JPG 104_4149.JPG 104_4152.JPG 104_4153.JPG 104_4155.JPG

Mix of pine and small oak chunks right now, going down to 20F overnight so the before bed load will be a mix of locust and oak.

I spent today cleaning up just off a new trail I made this summer, 4 trailer loads of sticks were reduced to ashes. The wife but me an early Christmas present the other day when we were in town.

IMG_0887.JPG Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Last edited:
what now i have to cook too.listen woodlands ;lol
Like old @yooperdave would say, it was a "gooder" meal. What I cooked later today was a test run, it went on the Christmas meal list since the wife loved it.

Reactions: yooperdave
I spent some time picking up more branches just off our trails on the house property, another three loads went over to the fireplace.

We had a temp of 55 today with some good winds so it dried things out pretty good, once we get another good rain, we'll get the fireplace going again.

Since we had some steady rain overnight, my plans changes from stacking pine to getting rid of some ash tops from the gully in the back. All the loads from the other day and the three today were reduced.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

We ended up getting some cold temps im the low 30's and a few inches of snow. Temps are back in the 50's now been doing yard work and just working a lot. Finally had a fire in the basement stove this week.

Six loads of pine came off the hill today and stacked, the last load was beech that finished off a two face cord stack. The one big pine gave us almost three face cord, we'll see how much the second pile of pine will add to the back stack, the last load of pine that was stacked in the back came from the second pile of pine.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

With what was already over to the fireplace and todays 2.5 loads, about 6.5 loads were reduce to ashes. Just some pictures of the areas I cleaned up or started to.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Spent most of the day digging out an ash stump in the yard (by hand). It's finally starting to wiggle with the diesel truck and logging chains... 2 more plus a hickory stump to go before the ground freezes.

Reactions: thewoodlands
How do you clean up the ashes from the fire? Do you keep them for any purpose?
They'll go in a metal garbage can with a lid on it, we'll use them on a section of our driveway once the ice hits. We also use pellet ash on that same section of driveway.

Only three loads of sticks went over to the fireplace today but just off the trails is getting cleaner. We had a system move through overnight that rained on us pretty hard, it made it wet enough that it was safe enough to burn.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023