Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The neighbor Pops and I helped split wood apparently has a big mouth and another neighbor asked if we could help him ..... So out we go in the ol' IH 886 😏
View attachment 318954

Dragging a 50yr old splitter that is apparently the "smoothest running thing" neighbor #1 has ever seen and just had to tell neighbor #2. We got apple pie and ice cream when we were done today though so totally worth it !
View attachment 318955
It looks like you had a great day for it, nice job. 👍

Reactions: jblnut
Just another day of the branch reduction phase on the house property. Picture 4255 is some dead pine along with some smaller maple I split (picture 4257) for the outdoor fireplace, 4256 is a rotten pine we took down a few weeks back, 4259 is the same log bucked up, 4260 is the first load of branches, 4261 is the second load, 4262 is the area I cleaned up just off the trail in the back gully, 4263 is from area 4262 and the last two are from the back gully look in east and west.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

I borrowed a buddies flat top 066 to cut down a few big cottonwoods yesterday. Good night this thing is powerful !
KIMG2753.JPG

It's got a West Coast Saw bark box, HD2 air filter setup, a mild port job and an 8 pin sprocket. I put a 24" bar and a full chisel skip chain on it and this thing really rips ! I need one of these. I'm trying to convince him he needs a new shiny 661 but I doubt it'll happen. He's got a shed full of older 0-series Stihl saws that are all gorgeous and built. He's got an 090 that I am going to borrow when he's got it back together. That'll be like holding a dirt bike with a bar and chain over the log lol
KIMG2752.JPG

It's got an HD2 filter setup now I should say ... I told him I had one that I'd put on it as a thanks for using it and he said yup sure.
Work Done 2023

My first saw was an 066 great saw tons of power and always ready to rip. It was a old beaten saw I picked up from a buddy who worked it hard. I have a new 660 that I run now ported and it is close to the same power of the 066, the saws are awesome plenty of power no matter waht your cutting. I have not tried the 661 but I would like to give it a shot they look nice and with the new upgrades look tough and fun to run, but hard to beat those older saws. I had a buddy who collected the 090, and the 090 G's. The old gear driven saws don't have the same speed but the torque is unmatched.

Tractor loader bucket work bench was a success! I wanted to take the trailer and tractor to cut wood today and the bucket was the perfect place to put the chainsaws and their baggage !
Work Done 2023

A couple more big ugly 30"+ cottonwoods cut down today.
Work Done 2023

The biggest chunk barely fit in my grapple bucket !
Work Done 2023

Those sides are 44" high. That's a big chunk of wood ! Should have 3-4 more loads like this to haul home yet. T'was a good day !
Work Done 2023

Spent some time yesterday moving some 3 year seasoned sugar maple from a stack on the far side of my lawn into a new stacking area I made in my basement.

After I had moved almost half of it, I realized there were powder post beetles in it, so now my project for this morning is to move all that wood back outside so they don't eat my house.

Work Done 2023Work Done 2023
I ended up getting three truck loads from my brothers house two were tulip and one was sassafras. I filled the garage back up and the kindling barrel as well. We are supposed to get some snow and possible wind so with the weather pretty nice the last couple of days I figured I would get ready for what ever this storm brings.

View attachment 319540View attachment 319541
I ended up getting three truck loads from my brothers house two were tulip and one was sassafras. I filled the garage back up and the kindling barrel as well. We are supposed to get some snow and possible wind so with the weather pretty nice the last couple of days I figured I would get ready for what ever this storm brings.
Didn't know tulips lived long enough to get tree sized 😂

Reactions: heavy hammer
Back out to cut some more wood !
Work Done 2023

Got to play with some wedges on an ash of sorts !
Work Done 2023

Almost looks like I know what I'm doing ! Maybe one day I can be an actual logger 😏
Work Done 2023

Pops loading up another load of bigger logs that'll need to be split. He was being so careful not to drop them into the trailer so it didn't get all scratched up and banged up right away 😂
Work Done 2023

Darn shame it's all cottonwood ! If that was oak or maple I'd be one happy camper !
Work Done 2023

Also hauled a big load of smaller stuff to my brother in laws place. He burns wood in a normal sized stove in the basement and the sub 8" diameter stuff works great for him.
Work Done 2023

I finally got my ass out of the recliner and started picking up more sticks/branches from an area I stuff some snow in. I also split two loads of junk pine and brought that over to the fireplace with the two loads of sticks/ branches.

Whatever cold I had in me left after the fire got going. I started making some fire starters for the outside fireplace with shredded paper and some wax.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Today I took another two loads of splits & sticks/branches over to the outdoor fireplace.

Picture 4276 & 4277 is another area I had felled a dead pine earlier this year, 4278 is the rotten top that I still need to take care of, 4279 had a bunch of rotten pine rounds I split and brought over to the outdoor fireplace along with a load of sticks/branches, 4280 is the last of the rotten pine rounds I split and 4281 is the last load of sticks/branches.

All the areas I've cleaned up this fall are areas I plow in the winter or just needed cleaning up real bad. If mother nature can give me another two weeks of good weather, I should have most areas cleaned up that will make it safe enough for plowing.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

We cut a bunch of nice ash trees out of the fence line we've been working on.
Work Done 2023

Two big loads like this yesterday !
Work Done 2023

Next year's pile is growing nicely !
Work Done 2023

I acquired this little 026 a week or so ago and put a wrap handle for an 044 on it and it fit very well with very few modifications. I fell mostly stuff that is sub 12" so this is going to be handy !
Work Done 2023

Work Done 2023

We cut a bunch of nice ash trees out of the fence line we've been working on.
View attachment 319988

Two big loads like this yesterday !
View attachment 319989

Next year's pile is growing nicely !
View attachment 319990

I acquired this little 026 a week or so ago and put a wrap handle for an 044 on it and it fit very well with very few modifications. I fell mostly stuff that is sub 12" so this is going to be handy !
View attachment 319991

View attachment 319987
I’ve got a 620 echo that I’d like to put a wrap handle on but it’s hard enough to find a box for it as it is.

Reactions: jblnut
I’ve got a 620 echo that I’d like to put a wrap handle on but it’s hard enough to find a box for it as it is.
Full wrap handles seem to be available but they don't look to be inexpensive ..... I paid $16 for this one lol. It's a FarmerTec brand and isn't anything special.

I've cut a bit with it yesterday and it sure is nice !!

Yea, for $16 I’d build a box to hold the saw! I only have $490 in the saw out the door with a 24” bar on it. I’m not gonna complain…too much.

Today I burned another four loads of sticks/branches in the outside fireplace, two loads were brought over today. I finally got sick of the rain and called it a day.

Since we have some heavy rains coming in this weekend, we put in another two loads of pine. I'll get the pine in the 4 x 4 rack that is open and then tomorrow we'll get in one or two loads of ash.

I just made some spaghetti sauce for a Christmas present for a neighbor, I'll freeze it until I bring it down. The wife had just made some pumpkin bread for them too, tomorrow I'll make what I call a chocolate roll for them and then get in touch with them so I can bring it over.

You are one great neighbor.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Working on my pallet storage area. Scrounged 18 pallets in good shape yesterday and started moving them out back today with the help of my 8 year old. I'm still recovering from some sort of cold/virus thing so I could only do a few at a time. Getting there!

Work Done 2023
Work Done 2023

Food is a great present, I'm sure they are very appreciative.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Got the 4th stump out yesterday. Have had some milder temps so the little bit of frost came out and most of the snow was gone. Holes are filled but not seeded to see how much they settle yet. I did fill and water in layers over several days to help it settle better.