Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are two more smaller pine logs that I'll c/s/burn in the outside fireplace but first the cherry will get taken care of. Today I c/s four pine logs after cleaning them off with an old snow brush, I dumped them in another area until we have room in our shoulder season area.

The trail I'm cutting on will be wider once I'm done the cleanup, that will make plowing easier this winter plus we have four dead pine that will need to come down.

Pictures 4046 & 4047 are of the first log, 4049 the second, 4050 the third, 4051 the last of the day. I hate dumping it after splitting it but we're out of stacking room until we burn four face cord of pine.

We did put in a small load of shoulder season wood after I was done with the c/s/dumping.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Got 3 chimneys cleaned and 2 stoves cleaned out and ready to go. 1 stove to clean yet...not including the shop burner and chimney.

I grabbed the push mower and did the section to the south of the house, it was the longest. I hadn't washed the vehicle my wife drives in a few months so I washed it twice and then dried it. I did the black trim, wheels and tires with some Armor All.

The Mrs & I are in the Northwoods for our anniversary weekend (Sunday, 29 years...). It was raining this morning so we brought my nephews pellet smoker I had borrowed back to him at their new house they just moved into about 45 minutes from the cabin. Split and stacked the ash we cut up Labor Day weekend this afternoon. Ended up being 1 1/4 cord. All 12" long for the Stratford II.

Work Done 2023Work Done 2023

After coming back from picking a few things up this morning, I was behind the push mower until 2 and then I put some pumpkins out.

After I took a shower, we took a ride hoping the colors would be better but they weren't. We were in the area where DQ is so we picked up a few Blizzards and a free ice cream for the dog.

We're in for some hot temps (1 day 85) this week but it looks like next Sunday the rain comes in with a drop in temps so we'll get some firewood inside this week.

Moved some wood around, expecting a delivery of 3 cords this week. Getting my wood shed built can't come soon enough.

I also need to do a bunch of winter prep around here, never a shortage of work.

We put in one load of pine this morning, I didn't take a picture. I decided that I would rake up some leaves around the outside fireplace and then dumped them on a low area on one of the new trails I cleared, I'll put some sand on top of the leaves.

Next was washing my vehicle, I was almost done with drying it off when I could hear some branches start coming off a dead pine, not a big deal but then more started falling and the pine broke off and it fell over part of our pine stacks.

This morning I was standing real close to it while I was filling the tub up with pine, thank god it waited another hour plus before it came down. All will get burned in the outside fireplace.

You can see in picture 4062 how close I was, 4070 is where is broke off, in picture 4071 you can see some splits came down from the back stack when I pulled it off. We had planned on putting in two loads tomorrow so I'll grab the splits that fell over, I also cut the stump down so I can use the tractor with the forks and lift what's left out of there.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Nice and close to your stacks. Positive side, nobody got hurt and you don’t have to move the wood after processing it.
It won't go in the stacks, it will be moved over to the outdoor fireplace. The wife came running off the front porch when she heard the crack and thud when it hit the ground, she thought a tree came down in the area I was washing my truck.

It won't go in the stacks, it will be moved over to the outdoor fireplace. The wife came running off the front porch when she heard the crack and thud when it hit the ground, she thought a tree came down in the area I was washing my truck.
Was she worried about you or the truck 😂

• Haha
Reactions: thewoodlands
I moved the biggest part of the pine back in the area we call the sandpit with the tractor and then we put in all the splits that fell when I pulled the pine off, that ended up being two loads.

Picture 4074 is heading back to the sandpit, 4075 is on the ground in the sandpit and the last picture is the second smaller load of pine we put in today.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: heavy hammer
Not firewood related, just wood related but I build this playset last weekend. About 16 hours in total. Kid loves it!

Work Done 2023

Absolutely. Get some good time on the new splitter as well. This will all be for 25/26 season
The only oak we've ever burned I helped out a lady who was left some red & white oak rounds from a tree service that took the best but didn't come back for the rest.

I split it too big, after seasoning it for four years (top covered two) some still pizzed water. It was stacked in a high wind area with great afternoon sun.

We love beech so when I see a damaged or diseased beech, I'll fell that if it's safe enough.

The only oak we've ever burned I helped out a lady who was left some red & white oak rounds from a tree service that took the best but didn't come back for the rest.

I split it too big, after seasoning it for four years (top covered two) some still pizzed water. It was stacked in a high wind area with great afternoon sun.

We love beech so when I see a damaged or diseased beech, I'll fell that if it's safe enough.
Red oak is a vast majority of what I burn. I try to keep my splits on the smaller side, with the biggest being around 4-5 inches. After 3 years they are usually pretty good to go

Red oak is a vast majority of what I burn. I try to keep my splits on the smaller side, with the biggest being around 4-5 inches. After 3 years they are usually pretty good to go
We don't have any oak on our property that's big enough for firewood but if I had a chance at more oak, I'm not sure I would grab it. It's great firewood but beech seasons quicker and we have plenty on our property.

If someone dropped off a free load of oak, would I refuse it..........nope.

We don't have any oak on our property that's big enough for firewood but if I had a chance at more oak, I'm not sure I would grab it. It's great firewood but beech seasons quicker and we have plenty on our property.

If someone dropped off a free load of oak, would I refuse it..........nope.
I'm a fan of beech too, but around here they usually grow in close competition and kill each other before they get 6" diameter.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Beech seem like they grow allover the place, I was going to thin out an area but never did. We're seeing more each year on the house lot, some of the better smaller trees that are in the trails will get moved and the wishbone type beech growing get cut off.

Mine grow to about 10-12” then blight gets them and they caput.

With heavy rains and cooler weather forecast for our area, we put in another two loads of firewood today. NOAA is forecasting over 2 inches of rain for this area, there goes the dry stretch we've been having.

I had section of pine we'll use this spring or winter depending on the temps that needed covering, that's done.

I also filled up the truck, the gas price dropped from $4.099 to $3.959 this morning.