Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I loaded my first 'for sale' wood - 4 cord order so 2 loads of 2 cords each. I don't even have an ad up. This first load is 60% hardwood (elm & ash) and 40% lodgepole pine. All very dry (overall, moisture content is in that 12% range). It doesn't look like 2 cords but the measurements say otherwise.

The trailer is 12.5' x 6.5'. I'm 1/2 foot short, and due to rounding let us adjust the measurements. So, 12' x 6' x 3' high in the trailer = ~220 ft3. I loosely filled the 8' pickup bed (need 1/4 cord) so I should have at least 2 cords or 256 ft3. I think I'll throw 20 more splits in the bed just to be on the safe side. This wood should burn good.
IMG_20130731_232051.jpg

Last edited:
NickW, what are you fishing for? Lake Michigan? So, Chinook salmon or Rainbow trout? begreen what species of firewood did you get? Doug Fir? Alder, Bigleaf Maple?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Finally had time to work on the wood splitter. I got the mounting bracket off one of them to build a mount for my Mini Excavator. These things are really well built !!
Work Done 2023

I'm going to put it on its own 1/2" plate so I can take it off and make a different bracket if I ever get a different brand mini. This bracket took some doing to get this nice lol. Just gotta burn it to the plate and it'll be ready to mount.
Work Done 2023

I've also been living in this thing for the last few days helping a neighbor chop silage for his dairy cows. It's just a baby chopper with a 6 row head and "only" 300hp. The biggest one in production right now is 1,100hp and can handle a 16 row head !!
Work Done 2023

After having coffee and a nice talk with a neighbor, I put in more firewood for them. I'll stack more firewood inside a smaller area that's out of the rain and snow, if we have a colder winter they should be set.

After the above was done, I had a date with the push mower, most of the yard is done with the rest of it getting finished soon.

Last edited:
Wife got the rest of this winters stash inside today and I got about half of my logs bucked and hauled up (in between ATV issues and calling it quits due to heat...)
Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023
About 2 1/2 cord inside and 1/2 cord of rounds. Betting most of what's inside won't get burned this winter because I'll be busy at home with the remodel, but then we'll have a good start for next winter and it cleared up space for more outside.

Wife got the rest of this winters stash inside today and I got about half of my logs bucked and hauled up (in between ATV issues and calling it quits due to heat...)
View attachment 314963View attachment 314964View attachment 314965
About 2 1/2 cord inside and 1/2 cord of rounds. Betting most of what's inside won't get burned this winter because I'll be busy at home with the remodel, but then we'll have a good start for next winter and it cleared up space for more outside.
What kind of winter are you expecting at home?

In my above post 622 are part of a downed Beech and the rest that is still vertical, I'll see how good both are tomorrow. Hopefully the majority of the Beech is good, after I buck it up I'll roll it up the hill some if needed.

Pictures 3959 & 60.

Theoretically cold & snowy for all of WI...
Last winter was warmer for us so I'm thinking a colder or normal type winter for this area. The colder temps for us usually arrive the last week of December and last well into February.

You never know until it's here. Some years it's already below zero in November for deer season, other years it's in the 50's for deer season, other years it's mid 50's at Christmas and we're playing bags in the driveway... We had 70's in February a couple of years ago, then March was cold. Get out your weather forecast dartboard and start throwing, I think that's what the forecasters do.

This was part of the Beech that was down, it's bucked up and I moved it up the hill, it isn't the best Beech I bucked up or the worst.

There is more down and the trunk that is still vertical, I'll start working on this again when this hot stretch leaves the area.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Reactions: heavy hammer
Flagged 60-70 dead ash in the swamp today here in the Northwoods in the heat this afternoon. Ran out of flagging tape. Probably hundreds more yet. There are still some live ones (for now...).

Just finished cutting and hauling the rest of the ash I pulled out of the swamp last winter. 3'x3.5'x7', so a little over half a cord. 88 degrees out now, so probably done outside for the day...
Work Done 2023

Just finished cutting and hauling the rest of the ash I pulled out of the swamp last winter. 3'x3.5'x7', so a little over half a cord. 88 degrees out now, so probably done outside for the day...
View attachment 315048
Nice work on a hot day, how were the bugs?

@begreen - Bugs weren't bad. Surprising with how bad they were during the drought. Now we've been getting a little rain here and there and very few skeeters.

@Mirco22 - bucked to length down the trail where it's tough to get the splitter, little trailer is bad enough. Hauled up and stacked in the staging area for splitting (whenever that'll happen...). Time is limited this year in the Northwoods due to the remodel at home so we can move up here next year.

We got 122" of snow last winter up here. I have to bust a trail to get into the swamp in winter, drop the tree's, cut to moveable length, haul them out to where they are accessible by trail, wait for the ticks to be done, buck them up, haul to splitter staging, split & stack when I have time and there's not a bunch of snow in the way...

Reactions: Prometeo
@begreen - Bugs weren't bad. Surprising with how bad they were during the drought. Now we've been getting a little rain here and there and very few skeeters.

@Mirco22 - bucked to length down the trail where it's tough to get the splitter, little trailer is bad enough. Hauled up and stacked in the staging area for splitting (whenever that'll happen...). Time is limited this year in the Northwoods due to the remodel at home so we can move up here next year.

We got 122" of snow last winter up here. I have to bust a trail to get into the swamp in winter, drop the tree's, cut to moveable length, haul them out to where they are accessible by trail, wait for the ticks to be done, buck them up, haul to splitter staging, split & stack when I have time and there's not a bunch of snow in the way...

I think you met me, the hot weather has brought out certain bugs again here in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Once the hot weather leaves, we'll be in for more rain and lightning, it seems like that has been going on all summer.

I think you met me when replying about the bugs, the hot weather has brought out certain bugs again here in the northeast. Once the hot weather leaves the rain and the lightning move back in just like the rest of our summer has been.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I had left three face cord of shoulder season wood (white pine) uncovered since it was the last that I stacked hoping that the short hot stretch we had would help out seasoning wise.

Those three face cord were covered today before the rains move in, our plan was to burn them in the spring of 2024 if they're ready.

I hooked up the trail mower and did some mowing today since the rain was holding off (just started raining) after I was done with the trail mower, the push mower gave me a small workout on two areas of the lawn.

It was a day splitting in the woods, part of a big old pine that came down late last year that I bucked up to open the trail when it happened, a small cherry that was bucked up last year and the downed damaged beech I bucked up this year.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a neighbor stop me before going in the woods, they needed a nice size load of tongue and groove pine pushed back (it was on skids) in there garage, that would make room for another car. I told them I could do that today so I warmed the tractor up this morning, put on the pallet forks and headed over and did that.

We received 27mm of rain overnight so I'll stay off the trails today.

I stacked more firewood for a neighbor outside but under cover, I'm just getting more out of the way before the snow hits, that will give me more room for plowing this winter.

I did have a nice talk with them before and after along with more coffee which was nice.

Reactions: Gearhead660
A master fabricator buddy built a quick attach bracket for my splitter and he came over yesterday to put it on.
Work Done 2023

Oh boy this thing is a game changer !!!!!
Work Done 2023

Time to attack the pile !!
Work Done 2023

Pick them up and bring them to the split pile and work on them over there. Man this is cool !!
Work Done 2023

This was about an hour of splitting. Yup I like this thing !! Maybe could go out and do custom splitting 😂
Work Done 2023

Also delivered three loads of hay like this today to a buddy close by. I sure like this truck !!
Work Done 2023