What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They do great work, all with a Belgian twist. We might even get @Ashful to like an IPA.;lol

Reactions: Ashful
GTK. Ashful would probably only like it if it was a triple and over 10%.
Not an unfair assessment, but I do like Delirium Tremens, which is technically a Pale Ale under 10%. :)

I have an IPA question for the experts. I don't like the super hoppy and bitter IPA's but have had a few that had a nice citrus background and were not really bitter. Are there any name types that I should look for and types not to pick if I want to avoid the super hoppy stuff?

I have an IPA question for the experts. I don't like the super hoppy and bitter IPA's but have had a few that had a nice citrus background and were not really bitter. Are there any name types that I should look for and types not to pick if I want to avoid the super hoppy stuff?
Disclaimer (not an expert but ill give my 2c). Look for the IBU rating on the beer. International bitterness units. An IBU of 25 say would be a smooth beer without all the bitterness . An IBU of 125 would not be for you. IBU ratings can be found on beeradvocate or other beer websites.

Last edited:

IPAs are hoppy, by definition. Brewed by the India Trading Co., to survive transcontinental voyages in warm climates before refrigeration, the theory was generally: “it tastes like chit, but at least it doesn’t spoil.” The name IPA is an acronym, “India Pale Ale”, named for the originating company.

When Anchor Steam, and then Sam Adams, got the whole microbrew thing going, there were a lot of “me too” folks hopping on that bandwagon, with more ambition than real talent or skill. They found hoppy beers were far more forgiving than other styles, and so a ton of hoppy microbrews hit the market.

Word gets around that there’s something “better” than Coors or Bud, and human nature takes over, people with more of an ear for hype than a taste for what’s actually good start ordering anything with a name they don’t recognize. And what are those “things” offered by no-name American brewers with scant months of brewing experience? IPAs.

The now-unbreakable link between IPAs and microbrews was born.

If you don’t like hoppy, you can say you actually have good taste in beer, and IPAs aren’t for you. That still leaves most of the world’s history of brewing open to you.

Go back and look at each of my posts in this thread, if you want to find some world-class beers that aren’t over-hopped. If you haven’t already gotten it from the post above, I’m no fan of massively over-hopped beers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I've been swilling a bit of Bud Copper Lager. Red type with the rice sweetness (I just made that up.)
What was my favorite beer? The Riverwest Stein Beer from the keg that I had on a 90* day at Summerfest in Milwaukee several years back. Malty goodness with a little grapefruit thing goin' on.

My wife doesn't drink since she doesn't like the taste of alcohol. She's also Methodist, and historically they practiced temperance. Now, it's just restraint.

I drink Bud Light. Lots.

Had my first mixed drink in over 20 years …
One of the guys I have coffee with Friday mornings from my wife's former church just made some gin (yes, Methodist :) ) . He gave me a sample. Didn't feel like buying tonic and a lime for one drink. Did a search, based on what I had on hand. Had ginger ale in the refrigerator and fresh squeezed lemon juice in an ice cube tray in the freezer: Gin Buck, a drink popular in the 1920s.

IPAs are hoppy, by definition. Brewed by the India Trading Co., to survive transcontinental voyages in warm climates before refrigeration, the theory was generally: “it tastes like chit, but at least it doesn’t spoil.” The name IPA is an acronym, “India Pale Ale”, named for the originating company.

When Anchor Steam, and then Sam Adams, got the whole microbrew thing going, there were a lot of “me too” folks hopping on that bandwagon, with more ambition than real talent or skill. They found hoppy beers were far more forgiving than other styles, and so a ton of hoppy microbrews hit the market.

Word gets around that there’s something “better” than Coors or Bud, and human nature takes over, people with more of an ear for hype than a taste for what’s actually good start ordering anything with a name they don’t recognize. And what are those “things” offered by no-name American brewers with scant months of brewing experience? IPAs.

If you don’t like hoppy, you can say you actually have good taste in beer, and IPAs aren’t for you. That still leaves most of the world’s history of brewing open to you.

Go back and look at each of my posts in this thread, if you want to find some world-class beers that aren’t over-hopped. If you haven’t already gotten it from the post above, I’m no fan of massively over-hopped beers.

I have tried a few from your lists. Your favorite is brewed right down the road from me (Curieux)sp? That one is pretty good, I've had it a few times, my local grocery stores carry the small bottle 4 packs and the 750mL bottles. It seems like southern Maine is just exploding with tiny breweries over the past few years. So many still to try...

I've been swilling a bit of Bud Copper Lager. Red type with the rice sweetness (I just made that up.)
What was my favorite beer? The Riverwest Stein Beer from the keg that I had on a 90* day at Summerfest in Milwaukee several years back. Malty goodness with a little grapefruit thing goin' on.

I tried some of that Copper Lager, was OK but I was not really a fan.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Well its been a long time trying to find this one ,but a friend came through and snagged a bottle for me. Top notch brew a bit cheaper on draft than bottled. 8 oz draft was $4 but a 25 Oz bottle was $18 . By the case that would be $216. Easy to drink too much of this one and before you know it your feeling the love.
curieux.gif

Last edited:
It seems like southern Maine is just exploding with tiny breweries over the past few years. So many still to try...
Yeah, Maine has been a nice little hot spot for some pretty good micro brews.

So many good beers, only one liver. ;-)

Glad you finally found the Curieux, @Seasoned Oak!

004.JPG

Nothing "hoppy" about this one, rich and creamy coal black and thick coffee like with none of the coffee bitterness. Chocolaty ,hint of vanilla and smooth so smooth. Wife wants a growler of this one.7.2% On tap at Pizza boys in Enola PA.
Coconut mudbank.jpg

Back at Pizza Boys Brewery for lunch in Enola PA. In an effort to try everything Allagash makes this one was on tap and sounded interesting. St . klippenstein. A Belgian Style strong Dark Bourbon barrel aged ale, 11% ABV in the same vein of Delerium Nocturnum or Treogs The Mad Elf. This one is certainly in the top 5 of the best they make out of what iv tried so far. Dark, rich.boosey, wife gave it the thumbs up too, not offered in a growler or bottles or i would have to take some of this home.
St-Klipp.png

Last edited:
Back at Pizza Boys Brewery for lunch in Enola PA. In an effort to try everything Allagash makes this one was on tap and sounded interesting. St . klippenstein. A Belgian Style strong Dark Bourbon barrel aged ale, 11% ABV in the same vein of Delerium Nocturnum or Treogs The Mad Elf. This one is certainly in the top 5 of the best they make out of what iv tried so far. Dark, rich.boosey, wife gave it the thumbs up too, not offered in a growler or bottles or i would have to take some of this home.
View attachment 243234

Now you’re getting into the serious good stuff. We’ve ruined you for most local microbrews, now.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak

Did you know that Anchor Steam was created on a whim by none other than Fritz Maytag of washing machine fame?

WA is the largest hop growing state and there are many varieties to choose from. Early settlers were brewing beer as soon as the ground was cleared. The Seattle microbrewing scene revived in the eighties and has never lost steam. I can't recall how many breweries there are here now. Many are truly excellent and a few just plain nuts with how hoppy they make their brews.
https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/cheers-to-beers/
https://www.seattlemag.com/article/history-beer-seattle

Now you’re getting into the serious good stuff. We’ve ruined you for most local microbrews, now.
My locally sourced Belgian QUAD still ranks up there with the best of them. It is slightly different with each batch but always great. After awhile you can tell when your drinking a quality brew.

Did you know that Anchor Steam was created on a whim by none other than Fritz Maytag of washing machine fame?
Yeah, that’s a great story. He actually bought it from bankruptcy in the 1970’s, it is a much older company, I think.

I’ve never thought much of their beers, but we do have to thank him for getting the whole quality beer movement going. A lot of people knew American beer had reached an all-time low, at that point, he was just the first to do something about it in any meaningful way. Quality ingredients, all barley brews, no corn or rice fillers. Without Fritz, there would be no Tom Cook. Without Cook, there’d be a lot less people even aware that there’s a difference between real beer and rice-filled swill.

So, while I’m no big fan of Sam’s Boston Lager or Anchor’s Liberty Ale, we all owe them both a debt of gratitude for getting the ball rolling.

Reactions: Nelson
XkWh2Dyqa-mDUDWO_Cvt50VcT_YVHzRUBGt04J4TlB2zB66b-XAcyjxlwsZlLGsVDVnyUC7OiVcJnTN54x8=w543-h724-no.jpg
Kir Royale - Raspberry, Blackberry, Vanilla Mandarin Brut IPA
was really tasty after a few hours of watching the kids play soccer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Founders did a tap takeover close to me so i had to check it out since its hard to find around here. Had these 3. First time for the Curmudgeon and the Dankwood. All 10% and above. All good

Attachments

• Founders-CBS-2017-2.jpg
    Founders-CBS-2017-2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 153
  • b678_founders_dankwood_1.JPG
    b678_founders_dankwood_1.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Curmudgeon2017FeatureNEW.jpg
    Curmudgeon2017FeatureNEW.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 141