What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Toothpicks in a solar kiln lol. You really can do it in a kiln, but, #lazy.
Yah but most people here don’t use a kiln. Old school way Oak especially the piece I had needs time. That was the biggest piece in the stack so I know all others are within spec.

Reactions: stoveliker
You're to blame :)
I'm sorry everyone.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Reactions: Gearhead660
2nd reload of oak and maple got STT to 600. House is cozy at 75 even with 22 outside temp.

Little stove has no problem keeping house warm and nice I don’t need to push it. Letting my stove go to 250 STT to drag reloads out. Can’t believe it’s almost February and have not used a ton of wood.

2nd season burning and adding the stove was the best thing we did. Wish I did it much sooner.

Yah it seems like it's going to be another light wood usage year unless this quick cold snap persists or we get a bunch more. I only used 3 cords last year and am on a similar if even less usage pace this year. A real winter is closer to 4 cords burned.

It's 13.1 tonight, the basement temp is 79, the living area temps are 70 & 71 and the sleeper is 67.

The pellet stove started running at 4:30 this afternoon on the lower end of the medium setting, I just turned that up to the higher end of the medium setting.

Both Accu & NOAA are calling for a low of 10, I think the temp will go lower.

Right now oak and some luck.

Wild 24 hours guys.

Monday drove to work. Last night was 5deg at home, it's cool running on propane.

I talked to my wife this morning about the dribbling water I had her leave. With no frost line down there the line from the well is 6"deep in gravel. I wanted the pump to cycle, and it did fine.

She says but we have a problem, the house is at 60 stats at 70.
Crap.
I check the system on my phone and at 930 last night it stopped making heat although showing heating.
Crap
I call hvac company owner since we are close with the Trane HP not working and we are in their.......well you can imagine. He's going to try too get a guy there but I know he's off the hook and running by house temp to restore heat.

Well good deal I have a woodstove there that can be fired, and a wife that hasn't built a fire in it yet.
Have I said crap?

As a preface I will say that as a guy building fires for decades, this Hearthstone is........ cold blooded and cantankerous.
2 hours later after phone calls texted pictures diagrams and the taste of blood in my mouth she has fire. I forgot 1 and a half Supercedar pucks, I was gonna make the girl burn, for sure, from 400 miles away.

My wife has it on a mid cruise, house at 65 now after 5 hours but she's not pushing it hard, I'll have to teach her that. She has fire
I was going to drive home this evening but she's got it, doesn't want me driving 6 hours in the dark. Shes gonna sleep in the living room and keep it cranking.

What's in the stove right now? Oak, probably about half as much as should be but oak and flame.

I love my wife and proud of her.

Stay warm guys, fire is good.....

Maple again (4 year old, so talk about dry @Caw ;-) )
20 f outside, 71 in the living room.

IMG_20240117_214645744_HDR.jpg

Temps are 5 above instead of 5 below and I can tell it's not as windy because the house is holding the temperature pretty well with a dying shoulder season fire. Burning it down and going to load up with a bunch of premium stuff and a couple of ash shortly.

Running oak sassafras and aspen. Cruising along at 650 for the overnight burn. 77 in the stove room and 66 up in the bedrooms. Hoo boy this cold snap is really making it hard to keep the upstairs warm with just the stove. Real feel of 9 degrees

3 good oak splits on a hot 400 STT coal bed. Want to go to bed. Don’t usually do it at this temp. Turned down air quickly since have a good draft. 550 STT now with good secondary’s. This will go to 650 STT I’m sure.

The outside temp tonight is 12.6, I shut the pellet stove off when the basement temp hit 81, the living area is 70 & 71 and the last time I checked the sleeper it was 68.

The Liberty has six splits of beech with two ironwood splits in it for the overnight load.

I swear every winter has something crazy to it. Last winter was illnesses (strep and flu) this year it's dealing with the oil furnace. This past fall the original furnace cracked while we were out of town. Came home to the sound of it eating itself. Two week saga to get the new furnace in place and running, but the new furnace is nice and we've at least seen that it sips fuel compared to the old one.

Last week the house felt a tad chilly but because we'd gotten so much rain I just thought it was the dampness. Then I went to get a shower (our furnace also heats the water). Cold shower. Had a bad feeling and went out to the tank to check the level. Level was higher than the last time I'd checked it two weeks prior. Water seeped into the tank. After a number of calls we found someone who deals in oil tanks in this area. He came down, confirmed there was water in the tank, and set us up with a temporary tank with the intentions of putting the new tank in a couple of days later on Saturday. Temporary tank works well enough for the furnace to run.

Friday we got more rain so he was concerned that setting any base up for the tank wouldn't be stable between the two rain storms so asks to postpone to Monday with the thought of installing the tank first thing before the snow. Snow arrived early Monday morning instead of the afternoon so we had to postpone with intentions of this Saturday.

I put fuel in Tuesday night in anticipation of the cold night. I didn't put enough in. By my best guess the furnace ran through the fuel sometime yesterday and probably burnt some stuff off the bottom of the tank. Last night it ran but took forever to provide heat and there was a light haze/odor in the basement. I'm guessing dirty nozzle or burner. Either way I shut it down last night and we're back to wood heat until a furnace guy can come take a look at this. At least this upcoming snow storm seems to be weakening so all should be good for the new tank to be installed this Saturday, I hope.

Sorry for the long rant but it was a long night last night dealing with this and just needed a place to vent.

I swear every winter has something crazy to it. Last winter was illnesses (strep and flu) this year it's dealing with the oil furnace. This past fall the original furnace cracked while we were out of town. Came home to the sound of it eating itself. Two week saga to get the new furnace in place and running, but the new furnace is nice and we've at least seen that it sips fuel compared to the old one.

Last week the house felt a tad chilly but because we'd gotten so much rain I just thought it was the dampness. Then I went to get a shower (our furnace also heats the water). Cold shower. Had a bad feeling and went out to the tank to check the level. Level was higher than the last time I'd checked it two weeks prior. Water seeped into the tank. After a number of calls we found someone who deals in oil tanks in this area. He came down, confirmed there was water in the tank, and set us up with a temporary tank with the intentions of putting the new tank in a couple of days later on Saturday. Temporary tank works well enough for the furnace to run.

Friday we got more rain so he was concerned that setting any base up for the tank wouldn't be stable between the two rain storms so asks to postpone to Monday with the thought of installing the tank first thing before the snow. Snow arrived early Monday morning instead of the afternoon so we had to postpone with intentions of this Saturday.

I put fuel in Tuesday night in anticipation of the cold night. I didn't put enough in. By my best guess the furnace ran through the fuel sometime yesterday and probably burnt some stuff off the bottom of the tank. Last night it ran but took forever to provide heat and there was a light haze/odor in the basement. I'm guessing dirty nozzle or burner. Either way I shut it down last night and we're back to wood heat until a furnace guy can come take a look at this. At least this upcoming snow storm seems to be weakening so all should be good for the new tank to be installed this Saturday, I hope.

Sorry for the long rant but it was a long night last night dealing with this and just needed a place to vent.
Be glad the oil did not seep out of the tank. That is an EPA issue and the remediation could be costly. That is one of the issues with outside/buried tanks. Out of site/out of mind until there is an issue. My Sis-in-laws house developed a leak in her tank. Fortunately it was inside the basement. That was 2 months ago. We are still trying to get the smell of fuel oil out of the house.

Reactions: stoveliker and Riff
Be glad the oil did not seep out of the tank. That is an EPA issue and the remediation could be costly. That is one of the issues with outside/buried tanks. Out of site/out of mind until there is an issue. My Sis-in-laws house developed a leak in her tank. Fortunately it was inside the basement. That was 2 months ago. We are still trying to get the smell of fuel oil out of the house.

Yeah, the oil tank guy and I had a long talk about that. According to him, at least in Virginia, there is a fund available to homeowners where the homeowner puts $500 towards the remediation and the fund will pick up the rest similar to how insurance would work.
We're putting in an above-ground tank for this reason.