What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have an outside temp of 13.3 with a low of 6 forecast, the basement is starting out at 82, the living area 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 69.

The Liberty has a load of seven beech splits & one split of ironwood in it. Tonight I started the pellet stove at 6, I'll shut that off before I call it a night.

62 in here this morning. The heat is just about to come on so I filled her up with oak, maple, and ash. Started to catch before I even finished! I love having good dry wood.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Put a large piece of Oak and cherry on a hot bed at 10:30 last night. House stayed warm overnight and was 66 this morning despite the 18 degree temp. Flue was still warm this AM so quick top down of oak, ash and maple, with a biobrick is warming things up.

Had to turn on the oil fired boiler last night to protect the pipes in basement. 17F here and wind still blowing. Been loading the f400 all night as i was up anyway.

1st time boiler has been on this season, can't wait to turn it off again.

Last edited:
Monday afternoon I set the furnace thermostat to 65 as I knew I would be out of town for the next 40 hours. Temperature has been in the teens and will continue. I had loaded up the stove with black birch to help with the heating load while gone. Back home now and the house is at 65 and the propane furnace was cycling. I turned that off and loaded up the king again. I had a nice bed of coals left from 40 hours ago so ignition was within 5 minutes, cat was active after 20. I will run the stove on medium today to bring the house and it’s contents back up to our comfortable temp of 70. I will probably overshoot that temp a bit in a effort to get everything heatsoaked so the overnight load can just idle along. I have found over the years house contents up to temp are as important as air temp, as contents will continue to rob heat until reaching equilibrium with air temp.
First pic, coal bed. Second pic today’s load:

E113E488-A840-433B-9657-0B2D29095936.jpeg FB4AC44A-0721-4F15-8805-1FB511585A9D.jpeg

Filled up last night at 8:30 and went to bed because I was exhausted. Woke up this morning at 6:30 to 3 degrees and 64 inside. 1/2 load of red/white oak went in. Supposed to hit 38 today WOOOOOHOOOOO. This was a pretty good cold snap by Arkansas standards. I was ready for winter to be over in November.

Last edited:
Mostly Ash today, I have some limb wood from a dead tree that I can't identify in there too. Thinking it might be White Oak, It will be Ash exclusively for the next week then I need to decide if I want to go to another Ash stack or to my slabwood stack. The only problem with the slabwood is that it is mixed species, the thickness varies widely and I don't know when it was cut, so the MC is variable. Leaning towards the Ash as there are at least another half dozen dead standing in the swamp that I can replace it with for next year.

Mostly Ash today, I have some limb wood from a dead tree that I can't identify in there too. Thinking it might be White Oak, It will be Ash exclusively for the next week then I need to decide if I want to go to another Ash stack or to my slabwood stack. The only problem with the slabwood is that it is mixed species, the thickness varies widely and I don't know when it was cut, so the MC is variable. Leaning towards the Ash as there are at least another half dozen dead standing in the swamp that I can replace it with for next year.

I really like burning Ash wood. Don't get a lot around here but its one of my favorite woods to burn. Love the smell too. Seasons quick, burns hot, splits easy. 10 out of 10 vote from me.

Reactions: thewoodlands
62 in here this morning. The heat is just about to come on so I filled her up with oak, maple, and ash. Started to catch before I even finished! I love having good dry wood.

View attachment 323006
Love dry wood also. Its a race sometimes to get all the wood in before the splits start to really take off.

Cold day here costal CT, 15F outside this morning and high will be mid-20s. Burning ash and locust. Got my bucket of bark ready to burn down coals.

Living room dropped down to 58F overnight. Usually when it's this cold, I'll need assistance from furnace to keep the house temperature warm.

Low 20’s now and my reload from this morning is still at 560. Was cruising at 600STT.

Pulled a large rectangular oak split a few days ago with no bark from my 3 year oak stack and it felt heavy. Had some checking on the ends. Let it warm up near the stove for a few days and just re-split it. It was 6.5” wide x 4.5” high. MC still 21% so back in the stack it went. My regular oak splits are 12-15%.

Low 20’s now and my reload from this morning is still at 560. Was cruising at 600STT.

Pulled a large rectangular oak split a few days ago with no bark from my 3 year oak stack and it felt heavy. Had some checking on the ends. Let it warm up near the stove for a few days and just re-split it. It was 6.5” wide x 4.5” high. MC still 21% so back in the stack it went. My regular oak splits are 12-15%.
Dang...

Cold day here costal CT, 15F outside this morning and high will be mid-20s. Burning ash and locust. Got my bucket of bark ready to burn down coals.

Living room dropped down to 58F overnight. Usually when it's this cold, I'll need assistance from furnace to keep the house temperature warm.
Yes I think I was a few degrees cooler this AM. I keep the thermostat at like 64. I'd rather burn oil than shiver in the AM, especially when stepping on the cold bathroom tile

Reactions: NickW
We had a low of 5.5 this morning, the basement temp started off at 73, the living area was 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 69.

We still had some nice beech & ironwood coals this morning so the first load was five beech splits.

Today instead of starting the pellet stove at 6 p.m., I'll start it at 4 p.m. and then shut it off before I call it a night, it worked pretty good last night. When I shut the pellet stove off last night, the basement temp was 86, the wood stove was burning down a bunch of coals so they added some degrees to that 86.

I'll keep up the coals in the wood stove so when it's time for the overnight load, the new load will get locked in pretty quick.

I just put in maple uglies and a long (21") piece to carry me to the night reload. 23 F outside. 68 on the living room floor (basement stove).