What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two stoves is a great way to go, if your house is as broken up as most of these older homes tend to be.
Yes, main house is 1860 timber frame. Off the back, 1st addition in 1906 (the biggest), 2nd addition off the back of that is the migrate workers kitchen in the 20s, and finally a mudroom on the back of that kitchen.

Reactions: Ashful and ozarkoak
We had a low of 14.5 this morning, the basement temp started out at 77, the living area temps were 69 & 70 and the sleeper was 68.

After my second cup of coffee this morning, I shut the pellet stove off. The wood stove received five splits of beech this morning.

Reactions: all night moe
I’m in the same boat I think. I have a few single row stacks that sit lower than yours on the bottom. Mine are on patio bricks with PT 2x4’s. When I get to that level I will not burn them but rotate to the top of another stack for a season.
Yeah i would have done that but they were some of the last partly spalted / punky stack. They were either getting burned or thrown in the street for town brush pickup. If they were clean i would throw them up on top of the next stack.

I'm now starting into the other oak stack that has mushrooms growing on some of the splits.
This is what you have to deal with when your stacks are in deep shade under Norway spruce and eastern cedar trees in the low spot in the yard 10 ft from the side of the neighbors house. Yikes the only worse place to stack wood would be in a filled swimming pool.

I just loaded up the wood stove with three splits of beech, four ash and two splits of ironwood. The basement was 77 and the living area up here 69 & 70.

Reactions: Wildflush
My situation is a bit different since my stove is an outdoor boiler, but I do burn different woods depending on the situation. I usually save my oak for when the temperatures drop below 25 degrees. I have been burning maple and some pine mixed in over the weekend when I am at home most of the day to feed it. When at work, I need the wood to last at least 11-12 hours, so I generally use maple and oak mixed and there is still wood left when I get home. Same at night, I top it off at about 8:30 PM and there is still wood in the morning.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yes, main house is 1860 timber frame. Off the back, 1st addition in 1906 (the biggest), 2nd addition off the back of that is the migrate workers kitchen in the 20s, and finally a mudroom on the back of that kitchen.
Similar here, but shift all dates back about 130 years: 1734 small house, 1775 larger house built atop that, plus summer kitchen. "New" kitchen and en suite added 1896, then another big addition in the 1990's. Carriage barn dates to either 1734 or 1775, likely the latter, as well as a large dairy barn that was taken down in the 1980's.

Our house is over 100 feet long, and near 7000 sq.ft., so no way to heat it with one stove... or really even two. I have one stove at either end of what we now call the first floor, although it's technically the second floor of the 1730's house, their original front door now being our "basement" door.

• Love
Reactions: all night moe
62F in living room, 25F outside... finally got about 2in of snow overnight, and another 3.5in forecasted for this morning. I'm getting the snow sled ready for some backyard fun this afternoon.....

This morning took out about half gallon of ash from stove and fully loaded with locust again.

I got over excited again. Snow turned into freezing rain by early morning and most of the accumulation is already melted. Very disappointing.

My second load of locust is coaling about now. I'll slam in a few more splits around 5pm and let that carry over to 11pm-ish. Six hours should be enough for me to clear room for the splits needed for overnight burn.

Snow melting in my driveway now. Got some bark on oak coals now burning them down. Got 4 hours out of my morning small split top down load and my 4 split reload will get me another 4. House at a comfortable 72 now so won’t reload until 4:30.

Third or fourth round of bark after a small softwood load that followed the morning hardwood load. Good solar gains again today but only got up to 1f and windy. Might need to do a crap wood load before the overnight load as the sun is dropping. I may not even be able to attempt to get any ash out until next week and I typically try to get a scoop or two per day.

My situation is a bit different since my stove is an outdoor boiler, but I do burn different woods depending on the situation. I usually save my oak for when the temperatures drop below 25 degrees. I have been burning maple and some pine mixed in over the weekend when I am at home most of the day to feed it. When at work, I need the wood to last at least 11-12 hours, so I generally use maple and oak mixed and there is still wood left when I get home. Same at night, I top it off at about 8:30 PM and there is still wood in the morning.
what stove?

Similar here, but shift all dates back about 130 years: 1734 small house, 1775 larger house built atop that, plus summer kitchen. "New" kitchen and en suite added 1896, then another big addition in the 1990's. Carriage barn dates to either 1734 or 1775, likely the latter, as well as a large dairy barn that was taken down in the 1980's.

Our house is over 100 feet long, and near 7000 sq.ft., so no way to heat it with one stove... or really even two. I have one stove at either end of what we now call the first floor, although it's technically the second floor of the 1730's house, their original front door now being our "basement" door.
I can relate

my barn conversion is 30 meters long, 8 meters wide (exterior)...essentially 2200 sq ft footprint on two levels...separated into 4 sections by 2' stone walls...very hard to heat

we have the stove in one of the sections...we'd essentially need around 6-8 stoves...it would be impossible to heat with one stove...it's hard enough feeding the one!

I can relate

my barn conversion is 30 meters long, 8 meters wide (exterior)...essentially 2200 sq ft footprint on two levels...separated into 4 sections by 2' stone walls...very hard to heat

we have the stove in one of the sections...we'd essentially need around 6-8 stoves...it would be impossible to heat with one stove...it's hard enough feeding the one!
I did a conversion on our little carriage barn in 2015, adding a second floor, spray-foaming the walls, and converting it from open barn space suitable for a horse and carriage, to a finished and heated shop space. I chose to go with minisplits, with an outdoor unit capable of supporting 4 indoor units, and just two indoor units, one for each floor. Unfortunately, between the overhead doors and concrete floor, the downstairs unit just can NOT warm the place up on any cold Saturday spent out there. I should have done TWO indoor units on the first floor, but on the flip side, it's my solace to go out there and work on things on any 95F weekend when it's too hot to work outdoors.

Did you convert a barn into a home? Seen a few of them, and they can be really cool, but definitely not for everyone. A friend I had growing up lived in an old barn conversion, and I loved it, but others complained about the lack of windows.

we bought a converted longere in 2019. We'd be renting this place since 2012. The conversion from barn to human-livable spaces was done by previous owners in 1989-1992

it's time to tear out and start over

We bought the barn/ ruin that is attached to this conversion with a view to renovate it to our main residence...but the roof started to crumble so we are amidst demoing the ruin (larger barn than the conversion). The plan is to build a new house where the demo'd barn is...we are just now re-evaluating our original plans with a view to start over from scratch. I need ideas...

I posted some pics in the 2023 Work Done thread

we bought a converted longere in 2019. We'd be renting this place since 2012. The conversion from barn to human-livable spaces was done by previous owners in 1989-1992

it's time to tear out and start over

We bought the barn/ ruin that is attached to this conversion with a view to renovate it to our main residence...but the roof started to crumble so we are amidst demoing the ruin (larger barn than the conversion). The plan is to build a new house where the demo'd barn is...we are just now re-evaluating our original plans with a view to start over from scratch. I need ideas...

I posted some pics in the 2023 Work Done thread
Would be really cool to build a small house inside the barn ruins. U r in france dude. Embrace it.

37151700-0AC3-434F-A34D-364C87E6E38E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ctreitzell
Hot reload in the Princess. It’s hickory, ash, and beech. Not the tightest load, but it will last me well into the morning.

Outside temp is 18 degrees and inside temp is 76. Expected low for the night is 10.

View attachment 322987View attachment 322989
@DonTee
Hot reload in the Princess. It’s hickory, ash, and beech. Not the tightest load, but it will last me well into the morning.

Outside temp is 18 degrees and inside temp is 76. Expected low for the night is 10.

View attachment 322987View attachment 322989
@DonTee
With that load, you are saying it should last well into the morning. I presume, running it relatively tstat open.

@DonTee

@DonTee
With that load, you are saying it should last well into the morning. I presume, running it relatively tstat open.
I run my stove from the flue temp. My personal comfort range is 250-700 degrees. In the shoulder seasons I’ll run it between 250-300 degrees. I can get 24+ hour burn times with those lower flue temps. This time of year I’m running about 500 degrees.

We haven’t had any of the super cold weather the Wisconsin boys are getting. Yet….
We have some single digit days coming up this weekend, and then back into the 30’s and 40’s after that.

It’s been a very mild winter.