What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Low of 22 last night but woke up to high winds and another windchill warning. Made it around 11 hours between last nights fill and this mornings house got down to 69. Filled up with more oak for the day. Two more days of cold before we get a break. Forecast is saying nothing below freezing for 5 or 6 days starting Monday. I know everybody on the farm is ready for a break.

5 degrees with a breeze this morning. Loaded last night at 9:30 with 9 total pieces - 2 ironwood, 2 ash, the rest a mix of honey locust, sugar maple and hickory. 7:00 opened up the damper & air and raked the coals forward. Nice pile of coals but not a mountain. House is 70 downstairs and 64-65 upstairs. Full load of mostly ash going in.

Did not reload last night and house was 64 this morning. Flue was cold and could feel the draft inside the top of my stove. Hairdryer for 2 minutes reversed it. Nice hot top down going to warm things up. Snow coming later this afternoon so bringing some more wood in. Temp lowest of the year for us tomorrow at 13. Will be burning mostly oak, ash, maple and some biobricks.

I really didn't take a look at the outside temp last night before I hit the sack but I'm thinking it was 13, the basement temp was 77, the living area temps were 71 & 73 and the sleeper was 68. I ran the pellet stove last night.

This morning we had a low of 9.4, the basement temp was 75, the living area was 70 with the sleeper at 68. I put another bag of pellets in the pellet stove about an hour ago. I'll get the wood stove going after 12, once that is going the pellet stove will get turned off until later this afternoon.

Woke up to an inch or so of fresh snow and more coming down, sitting at 26F outside this morning. Planning to run mostly oak and locust this weekend with the occasional splits of cherry and black walnut when I need to build the fire back up. As much as I like the snow I'm looking forward to warming back up next week.

Going with cherry today and a touch of ash. Reloaded around 7:30 am and am on my way to the in-laws to buck up a big downed tree. The a couple big splits on the deep coal bed and have it a touch more air. It'll be ready for a real reload when I get back.

I love walking to the car and getting a little whiff of cherry smoke. Nothing smells better.

Snow started here again. Going to add some maple uglies soon.

Going with cherry today and a touch of ash. Reloaded around 7:30 am and am on my way to the in-laws to buck up a big downed tree. The a couple big splits on the deep coal bed and have it a touch more air. It'll be ready for a real reload when I get back.

I love walking to the car and getting a little whiff of cherry smoke. Nothing smells better.
That's something I miss with this stove, the smoke. I can have a pine fire rocking and don't smell any smoke outside.

25 Degrees with light snow at noon time in Central CT. Reloaded with Ash. Stove thermometer approx 475. Cat probe reads 700.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

That's something I miss with this stove, the smoke. I can have a pine fire rocking and don't smell any smoke outside.
I don't get a lot of smoke outside of the first few minutes of a fresh reload, it's a 2019 tube stove and it likes to run hot, but you do get a whiff when the wind is right mid burn and cherry smells delicious.

I’m burning down some coals with assistance from a few ugly splits I threw in this am. Making as much room as possible for the overnight load. Lows in the single digits with highs in the teens tomorrow with wind. I should be able to hold the house to 70 on medium burn with assistance of the fan kit. I’m anticipating a 8pm reload. Out to move some snow around now.

Same here as @Dieselhead . Maple coals when I needed more heat. So burning them down with some pine to make space for tonight's load - which will be oak and locust.
27 f and falling to 17 here. Upstairs is 70 F.

Danny Devito doesn't burn very well...

Reactions: johneh and ozarkoak
After raking today’s remaining coals forward, Tonights load is in, bypass flipped and cat up to temp. I will let it chew on the fresh load of red oak and black birch a bit more before setting the fans timer for the night. I’ll burn at a medium rate and the fans at 25% to keep the house at 70 for the next 12 hours. Low teens to single digits the weatherman has said.

7AFC231A-6D4B-4E63-8459-E26E5FE287F9.jpeg

3 hours later and this is all that's left of the fatty,... and the shorty, well looks like he / she didn't make it.
Reloaded 1 locust in back and 2 small to medium oaks. Will burn that till maybe 11:30P then pack it for overnight.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Just loaded the ole inferno furnace earlier. 4 large black ash splits, 2 smaller of the same, 2 sugar and one norway of maple. Building up a large bed of coals for the anticipated overnight load of hickory, BL, and red oak. Getting ready for the big freeze many others here are also experiencing.