What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning down coals and stringing the evening along one small piece of ash at a time until a full reload around 11pm. Reload will be all ash. Low tonight is supposed to be 10F with a strong NW wind. Currently stove room is at 75F, living room is at 70F and bedrooms are at 67F. Going to have to push the stove pretty hard tonight because my leaky old house doesn't like below zero wind chills. Only two more days of below average cold here then we have a pretty good warm up coming. I have about 3 days of strictly ash burning left then I will be into a stack that is mostly red maple and cherry.

I have about 3 days of strictly ash burning left then I will be into a stack that is mostly red maple and cherry
I still have a decent amount BL, maybe a half cord. 2 face cord of ash, face cord of maple, and face cord of red oak. Oh, half face cord of my remaining hickory. I hoarded that hickory for 3 years. The red oak is not all fully seasoned. It is all stacked close to the furnace and air is circulating around it for weeks via box fan on low. I can tell it's drying nicely by ends checkering and sound. I take a few off the top here and there that have that dry ring sound for burning. If Feb is anything like this past week, we won't have wood for March. At least, by that time, I'll be able to scrounge more wood up from various sources. It wont have to be the heavy hitters.... back into shoulder season.

We have an outside temp of minus 3.8 at the moment, the basement temp is 79, the living area temps are 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 67.

I've been running the pellet stove since around six tonight, the wood stove has some coals in it so I'll get a load of five beech splits in it later.

26 now, going down to 17. 72 upstairs.
Reloaded with black locust (right) and red oak (left).

First time about half a firebox of locust.

Pic is not great because the d*mn oak started before I was done loading. That's what you get when you are on a three year plan and last year you didn't burn all you had ... So four years old oak. The BL is a 3.5 years old scrounge of three 2.5 ft dia rounds.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Just loaded my overnight. 4 big BL splits, 3 good hickory, 4 red oak, one sugar, and 2 small ash splits. A single stack on top of 5 inches of coals. There's room for another stack behind and one in front of it all. Have to conserve wood ,,,,

I did finagle the air intake a bit more closed. If I don't have an OWB for next season, I'll have to get this sucker working properly.
See you guys in the AM.

The low at the moment is minus 5.1, the basement is 82 heading north, the living area is 70 & 72, I'm guessing that the sleeper is 67 or 68.

The pellet stove is set on high in the medium setting and the Lopi has five splits of beech with two ironwood splits going in the opposite corner.

Just got home from bowling, wife's still at work, house is getting chilly. Fired up the coals and have it stuffed full - 2 ironwood, 4 sugar maple, 1 hickory & 2 ash. I see by all the posts the chill is working it's way Eastward... Stay warm and safe everyone!

Morning all, coffee time ☕️. Last nights 8pm load went great, the 3yr oak and black birch is a awesome combo. Woke up to 71 throughout. I have enough wood and coals to keep the house comfy til around noon, I’ll throw in some uglies if I can find any to idle along til 8pm reload again. Stay warm, very cold with the wind out there today.

We had minus 1.5 this morning before coffee, the basement was 81, the sleeper was 68 and the living area temps were 69 & 70.

I shut the pellet stove off, burned down some coals in the wood stove and then after two cups of coffee the first fire was started with four splits of beech, two ash and two ironwood splits.

Woke up to 4 degrees outside and 68 inside. Been pushing the Manny hard so far this season. Most loads seeing a STT in the very high end of 500f generally between 550 and 600. Hearthstone gives me a "high burn" upper limit of 600f in their manual and I do my best on cold days to get as close to that as I can. 600F and that rock is pumping heat.

Woke up to 4 degrees outside and 68 inside. Been pushing the Manny hard so far this season. Most loads seeing a STT in the very high end of 500f generally between 550 and 600. Hearthstone gives me a "high burn" upper limit of 600f in their manual and I do my best on cold days to get as close to that as I can. 600F and that rock is pumping heat.
Curious on your STT. My 8013 has hot spots on the sides that are generally 100deg over the top. You see that on your 8012?

0 and windy, phone app says -2 wind chill but I bet it's closer to -20. With the house starting chilly last night my big hot load couldn't keep the heaters off this morning because the wife let me sleep in. She did open the damper & air and raked everything forward. Huge pile of coals. Threw in a bunch of aspen. Will burn as hot as I safely can with the air a little more open to try to burn down the coals. Will probably do that a couple of times to get room for another hardwood load and make heat.

Got up around 3-3:30 this morning. Big bed of coals. Some were solid and softball sized. Raked them around a bit leaving the bigger ones along the sides. Another load went in, but not quite as much as the 11 overnight load. Heavy hitter splits .... I was to tired to keep track, and a couple smaller splits of norway maple for ignition, and quick heat. Up this morning around 8-8:30. More coals but this time I had some charred chunks not fully combusted. A bit chilly in the house. Low to mid 60s. Loaded some ash and maple splits after a coal raking.
House back up to temp in about an hour. Not bad considering the drafts.

Last edited:
Woke up with 67 on the main floor.
Reloaded after 13 hrs with a large pile of uglies (too much space around them for a stuffed night load) and shorties of oak and locust.17 outside this morning with a stiff breeze coming in from CT over the Sound.

Got some.wood from the shed for tonight. Red oak, locust,.and two 7-8" halves white oak pieces.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Woke up with 67 on the main floor.
Reloaded after 13 hrs with a large pile of uglies (too much space around them for a stuffed night load) and shorties of oak and locust.17 outside this morning with a stiff breeze coming in from CT over the Sound.

Got some.wood from the shed for tonight. Red oak, locust,.and two 7-8" halves white oak pieces.

View attachment 323325 View attachment 323326
You running both stoves?

10:20 - 2 1/2 hours after the first load of aspen flue was down to 400 & stt 300. 3 pine & aspen thrown in for more fast & hot. Flue's been peaking a little over 800 & stt 620 or so. By the time stt is at 600+ the flue is dropping. Mountain of hardwood coals is coming down.

Let stove die out at 10. Woke at 3 am stove was out and temp was 67. Outside 13. Too lazy to restart and house was 64 this AM. Top down cold start of maple and oak with biobrick. House 72 now and outside 19.

Sheesh! Talk about cutting to exact length for your stove! That is top notch, nice work. I need to improve on this.
Ha yeah i didn't notice that in his pic. I use a tape measure and sidewalk chalk to mark the whole log before bucking. Only takes a minute and your splits stack great and you know they will all fit just the way you like them.