What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have 54.9 this morning with temps up here at 69, we'll get a fire going when the colder temps move in.

It's surprising you're so warm, I'd expect it to almost always be colder up where you are. We hit upper 30's last night, now back up to 45F at 3 hours past sunrise.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's surprising you're so warm, I'd expect it to almost always be colder up where you are. We hit upper 30's last night, now back up to 45F at 3 hours past sunrise.
I wish we were cooler, every time the temps rise, the bugs come back out. Our springs have changed too, we usually go from winter to spring and just skip spring.

Looks like I'm the only one who had a fire today. I was actually waiting for warm weather because I had to do my break in fire to cure the paint on my stove, so today was perfect to have the windows open since it was so warm.

I was burning some shorties of ash at 16% - 17% for my break in fire.

55 here. Looks like heat pump for the weekend. Monday is stove weather again.

Didn’t start a fire this morning due to highs getting into the low 60s, Walked in from work and my wife looks at me and says I’m freezing. I Looked at my thermostat which read 69….Got my 3 year old helper and we went down stairs and fired up the kuuma with some 2 year old poplar, it’s 75 as im typing this but the wife is happy.

Our outside temp tonight is 36.3, the basement is starting out at 72 and the temps up here 69 & 70. Another load of aspen and pine is going in the wood stove tonight.

Reactions: Micdrew
Just got back from a week long vacation down Cancun :)

Living room at 58F, maintained with oil furnace. Cleaned out the stove + got the fire going and fed it a startup load of ash and biobricks to resuscitate the temperature back to 68F. A reload is coming up mid-afternoon after some chores, going to be all ash.

Got home from bowling last night and the wife had the fire ripping along nicely. Outside temp was mid 20's. Lots of coals for a quick shoulder season load this morning before heading out for opening morning. 6 pointer providing venison this year. Now I can go looking for a nice fat doe with less pressure to fill the freezer.

We had 30 this morning, the basement was 71 with the temps up here at 68, another load of aspen and pine went in the stove this morning after coffee.

Reactions: NickW and zmender
It's 33.8 tonight with the basement starting off at 72 and the temps up here are 68 & 69. Tonight the firewood in the stove is all ash.

Reactions: NickW and zmender
Got very sleepy last night and went to bed without a full reload.

This morning was around 30F outside and only 61F in living room. I think one of my sliding doors was left open a crack last night. The stove is ripping through a load of ash and locust.

I had put 3 pieces of ash in the stove at around 5:00 yesterday afternoon, thinking I would let it go out overnight. Woke up this morning and out of curiosity, I dug around in the stove and found enough coals to get a fire going with 1 piece of newspaper and 1 piece of kindling.

I have more ash shorties and piece of apple from my little stash that I processed about 3 years ago in the stove now.

33 and sunny going up to 48 today. Still 72 down by the stove and 69 upstairs, so between the pile of coals from last night's load of ash and solar gains no fire until tonight.

Overnight temps have been in the high 40s for a few days, with daytimes in the mid 50s. Didn't reload the stove yesterday, planning to clean out the ash and install an Auber flue thermometer. This morning, about 40 hours after the last load (hemlock), the cat has been inactive since last night. Still found more hot coals than I wanted to put in the ash bucket. Waiting a few more hours.

Had quite a few fires but since I burn down my coals with bark I have not had to put any ash in my bucket yet.

We had 32.7 this morning, the basement was 70 with the temps up here 67. I loaded up the wood stove with aspen just before coffee.

Pretty much the same here as my last report. Upper 20s/low 30s overnight, 45-50 daytime, so lots of idling the king. 24hr burns until Monday night, we should be in the upper teens. Going to be burning SB Hickory into January I’m estimating.

Wife and I have being tossing ash split into the stove throughout the afternoon. Living room is at 71F, and we are getting close to roasted out of the house.

I need to burn down current load + coals next couple of hours. Around 10pm (or as late as I can stay awake) I'll reload with black locust and ash for the overnight low of 24.

Oak and maple tonight.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Overnight temps have been in the high 40s for a few days, with daytimes in the mid 50s. Didn't reload the stove yesterday, planning to clean out the ash and install an Auber flue thermometer. This morning, about 40 hours after the last load (hemlock), the cat has been inactive since last night. Still found more hot coals than I wanted to put in the ash bucket. Waiting a few more hours.
Your west coast hemlock must be different density from ours in the east. Using my eastern hemlock I will have zero hot coals once the cat enters the not active zone. I use hemlock a lot especially in shoulder season, can go a week or more without having to empty the stove.

It's 27.3 outside tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 77 with the temps up here 71 & 72. The wood stove has four splits on the bottom row, one pine and three ash along with another four splits of aspen on the top row. NOAA is calling for a low of 22 in the morning.