What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We're having another shoulder season fire with some white pine. The house temps were fine (66 to 68) but the basement had cooled off to 65, this fire will warm it up nice.

Once we're done burning what's left of this 4 x 4 rack, that will be two face cord of white pine burned this heating season.

Finally lit the stove this morning, it is chowing on combo of hemlock and basswood (odd pieces). It was 68 down in the stove room, 53 outside and raining. Cooler temps for tomorrow (mid 40s and rain). Will keep the fire going til Monday. And that is when I have to go back to the city😫! Had maybe seven fires so far this season and hardly made a dent in the stacks.

Reactions: Riff
Woke up to the house at 56F so we have some white pine going in the stove. Have a freeze warning for tonight, supposed to get into the upper 20's, so I have some oak chunks aside for overnight.

New oil furnace is in place and supposed to get hooked up tomorrow just in time for a few days of highs in the 70's...

66F in living room and 51F outside. Lit up a shoulder season fire with fairly fresh beech splits and 8 biobricks. Nice pink / blueish secondaries for past 2 hours. I'll partial reload with more bricks and a few small splits late afternoon / early evening, it'll be enough to keep house ~70F till tmr morning.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We had 38.4 this morning with some hard rain, some azz never had a fire last night so the house was 63 to 66. We had two pine fires today and the temp up here is 70.

Reactions: Gearhead660
It's 38.1 tonight with the Liberty getting its first full load of ash for the overnight load. The basement temp is 75 heading north with the temps up here between 68 & 70.

Reactions: NickW
We burn mostly poplar this time of year or uglies we accumulate . We have 3 8x8 wood shed and there is a small spot for uglies in each ..So those uglies or butts like we call them are 3 years old . Will make the switch to regular wood when we run out of uglies .

We had 37.6 this morning and the rain finally stopped, 1.33 inches. The house was 67 to 69 this morning before the first fire.

We have 33.8 tonight with the temps up here 68 to 70, the basement temp was 73. We have another load of ash going in the wood stove for heat overnight.

We had a low of 38.3 this morning, last night when the basement temp hit 77, I shut the fan off on the wood stove. The house temps this morning were 67 to 69.

We did have a shoulder season fire this morning while having coffee.

Wow. You guys with all the hardwood, must be nice. If I had some of those woods, I’d be saving them for the dead of winter. Right now it’s all Aspen with the mild temperatures of fall - most mornings in the mid 20’s. We usually switch to Aspen/Lodgepole mix later in November, then Lodgepole/Doug Fir mix once winter hits in mid-December or so. When the nights, and frequently the days, are below zero, Doug fir is the best we can do. If anyone wants to contribute a few truck loads of Maple, Oak, whatever to us poor Colorado inhabitants, feel free to haul it out here.

Wow. You guys with all the hardwood, must be nice. If I had some of those woods, I’d be saving them for the dead of winter.
Two loads of hickory last night! ;lol One stove filled about 50%, the other about 65%. Outside 36F, inside 74 - 76F.

We had 59.2 this morning, the house was at 66 & 67 this morning so no fire. I'm not sure what the high outside temp was today but the house is at 71.

Still waiting on cat housing gasket. But this stack of mostly hickory and some ash are waiting. And it’s been a bit to warm yet for me to fire up the Buck anyways. I’m still debating on switching to a blaze king so I can run low and slow and not have to use the boiler.

Reactions: zmender
Warm here today, house actually got up to high-70's with residual heat left in the stoves and masonry from last-night's fires. Low of 48F, but taking awhile to get there!

Might only do a half load in one stove, very late tonight.

I never looked at the temp this morning, I'm thinking it was in the low 50's, the house temps were between 66-68. When I came in from working outside the temp was 58.5.

It looks like Saturday night the temps start dropping around 36 so we'll start having a fire again. We'll put more pine in with some ash for the overnight fires until it gets really cold.

Reactions: zmender
With highs in the low 30's and lows in the teens it is time to start feeding the beast. This weed burner torch was a good investment!

Mostly scrap junk from around the yard to start off with and will move into pine, boxelder and poplar when I've gotten rid of my barrels of wood scraps. Never burnt pine yet so we'll see what kind of mess it makes in the stove. The pile is 24x24x6ish so there better be enough here for the winter !!

First load of all decent hardwood of the season, no shoulder season wood. 6 chunks of ash should keep us good until morning. Next week we are expecting overnight temps in the teens.

Drizzling this morning with high of 51F and overnight low of 40. The 80F weather yesterday was unseasonal but very nice indeed.

Cold started the stove top-down, huge splits of ash at bottom, ash uglies in middle, and 5 biobricks on top. Took about 10min for smoke to become clear, right now the stove is humming along with biobricks fully firing and jets of pink/blue secondaries.

For the overnight load I used some ash, once the basement hit 77, I shut the fan off for the night. This morning we had a low of 36.4, the temps up here were 68 & 69 with the basement temp at 71.

Two loads of pine had the basement at 79 (shut the fan off) and the temps up here 70 to 72.

Wow. You guys with all the hardwood, must be nice. If I had some of those woods, I’d be saving them for the dead of winter. Right now it’s all Aspen with the mild temperatures of fall - most mornings in the mid 20’s. We usually switch to Aspen/Lodgepole mix later in November, then Lodgepole/Doug Fir mix once winter hits in mid-December or so. When the nights, and frequently the days, are below zero, Doug fir is the best we can do. If anyone wants to contribute a few truck loads of Maple, Oak, whatever to us poor Colorado inhabitants, feel free to haul it out here.
Haha are you able to get NIELs where you are? Happy to do an exchange... a small box of MC <15% black locust for a small box of NIELs.

80 degrees yesterday, and 40 today with rain. Fired up the beast with maple and cherry. I haven’t moved any wood inside yet this year, I been running out into the rain to grab a few splits. 😂

Just cold, fluffy hickory ash in the stove at the moment. House is at 67 and it’s 48 and raining outside. We have some days coming up this week with highs in the 40s and just at or slightly below freezing in the overnight hours so that will be changing shortly. Warm weather in the mid 70s this past week, ladybug and stink bugs have been obnoxious.