What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Couple inches of snow on the ground. Burning down a half load of shoulder season wood from this afternoon to prepare for the overnight load. Going down to 17F tonight. First full load of hardwood last night, will pack it tonight.

Comment for @zmender... 22% ash will usually burn decently and white ash is really a good wood, definitely better than black. Don't try burning 22% oak.

Yes sir, I think that's definitely the difference I'm seeing.... I've burnt dominantly oak and locust in previous (short 3) years, this is the first time that I have a "pure" batch of ash.

Before the overnight load went in, the basement was 77 with the temps up here 69 & 70, the outside temp is 32. The overnight load is four splits of ash and white pine.

Yes sir, I think that's definitely the difference I'm seeing.... I've burnt dominantly oak and locust in previous (short 3) years, this is the first time that I have a "pure" batch of ash.
Combo loads are my favorite. Part ash to get going quickly, then some other harder lighting longer burning wood. Pure ash loads can REALLY take off when it's 16% if you get distracted...

Reactions: thewoodlands
20F out and calm, still 74F in the basement stove room and 70F upstairs in the living room. Last night's load went in at 9:00 and lots of coals still in the NC30 with no smoked glass. Boy do I love the damper I put in last February...

30F here this morning, by my truck thermometer, and the layer of ice on the windshield. Or 36F, if you believe the stupid iPhone Weather app (always seems to be off about 5F...?).

Stove in 1770's wing of house was loaded with 6 medium hickory splits, and we were at 73F on first floor this morning. Stove in 1990's wing got 5 hickory splits, mix of smaller and medium, and we were 72F over there this morning. After 8 years with the same pair of stoves, I guess I'm getting reasonably good at guessing load size for a given outdoor temperature, as 72-74F is our usual target.

We had an outside temp of 30.6 this morning with snow. Before the first fire this morning the temp in the basement was 73 and the temps up here were 68 & 69.

The morning load for the Liberty was pine. It looks like we have a warmup coming in so we'll stay with the pine for heat and save the hardwood for later. The only time we've been burning hardwood was at night when we were went below 30. We still have under two face cord of ash left from last year we'll burn once it gets cold or mix it with pine.

Getting through November burning mostly pine "wood" be great.

First 20s of the season tonight. Living room at 64F after neglecting the fire most of day, but it has a very healthy 3/4 load of gnarly ash that went in an hour ago.
Closer to 11PM I'll reload with mixture of ash and black locust, that'll give me plenty of heat + coal till tomorrow morning.

Going to be 28 tonight. Started the stove this afternoon. Got some cherry splits and smaller oak chunks cooking. Heat feels good considering we all have COVID for the first time in my house. Not a fun time.

Bucks up and eatin!!! Did a small top down with some punky ash leftover from last year got a bed of coals cat was 550-600, threw on 2-3” splits of ash and she’s climbed right up. All within 20-30 minutes. I thought I was maybe gonna need a new cat but it proved me wrong again. This will be the 4th season on this stove for me. I’m anticipating either next year or following for the cat but it’s still 100% intact.

Stove is about half full of coals from earlier this evening, but I'm getting too sleepy. 4 splits of locust just went in and I'm off to sleep. Stay warm everyone.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We have an outside temp of 29.1 tonight, the basement is starting off at 73 with the temps up here at 68 & 69. The overnight load is all ash.

Reactions: zmender
As expected walked into a super chilly (60F) living room this morning. Good things is I got lot's of coals from last night to work with.

Burning half load of odd shaped locust, ash, and biobricks. The small load will catch quick to start releasing BTUs.

Had 28 degrees this morning. House was still warm Loaded stove up and shut bypass at 9pm last night went down around 6 to a 800 degree cat and still a few logs still charring away. Probably could have gone another 3 hours but had to load before work. Loaded a 3/4 load of well seasoned ash for the day. When I left cat was at ~1300 and only ghost flames in the box.

Got down into the 20s F the past few nights. When we get below freezing, the insert struggles to keep house warm. Been feeding it with locust and elm, supplementing with the mini split in the mornings. Trying to put off firing up Myra as the temps will be back near 50F this weekend.

Reactions: zmender
Wow the insert absolutely struggled today. Outside high around 40F. I kept STT around 400F all day (throttle about 40%) and blower to the max, but the house never exceeded 67F.

Burning a half load of ash right now, I'll reload around 10PM with all locust. (if I don't fall asleep before then)

Reactions: Gearhead660
Wow the insert absolutely struggled today. Outside high around 40F. I kept STT around 400F all day (throttle about 40%) and blower to the max, but the house never exceeded 67F.

Burning a half load of ash right now, I'll reload around 10PM with all locust. (if I don't fall asleep before then)
Sounds like you could benefit from something larger like a pe summit or something along those lines

Personally I feel running STT is too low at 400. Burn hot to keep creosote at bay. Burn hotter with a larger load and your house will warm up faster. Also you benefit from secondary combustion with a hotter burn. I have a small stove and burn between 550-625 STT. Heats 1,900 sq feet no problem.

Personally I feel running STT is too low at 400. Burn hot to keep creosote at bay. Burn hotter with a larger load and your house will warm up faster. Also you benefit from secondary combustion with a hotter burn. I have a small stove and burn between 550-625 STT. Heats 1,900 sq feet no problem.
Also depends on how often you want to feed the stove and how your floor layout and insulation is. I’m assuming if you’re heating 1900 sq feet in Ma climate with a small stove, you’re either feeding the stove more often than 2 loads a day or you have a tight envelope with good insulation and windows

Decided to throw some sacrificial punky dry pieces on at 14.5 hours To heat the cat back up and get some coals for reload. Cat was still active at 6-625 degrees. Needless to say I’m pretty thrilled. I think a full load of good ash I could probably stretch it out to 16-17 hours. Gonna test out my first full load of oak in this thing later this winter. Curious to see how far I can stretch the burn out

Reactions: Wildflush
Also depends on how often you want to feed the stove and how your floor layout and insulation is. I’m assuming if you’re heating 1900 sq feet in Ma climate with a small stove, you’re either feeding the stove more often than 2 loads a day or you have a tight envelope with good insulation and windows
Yes I do have a tight envelope. House built in 2000 with some newer windows and slider over the last two years. When we had the cold spell end of Dec early Jan last season -30 wind chill one night I did reload more often with the smaller box. This morning it was 28. Loaded it twice in the morning with temps rising to 46 today so let it die out. House was 75. Relit stove at 7 tonight 38 outside and house 74 now. I do more cold starts this time of year. With the smaller box I don’t get overnight burns.