What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 24.5 this morning, before the first fire the basement temp was 70 and the temps up here 66 & 67. The first load this morning was all pine.

It's 38.5 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75 with the temps up here 69 & 70. The Liberty received a load of ash and pine for the night.

Reactions: zmender
We had 37.9 this morning with the temps up here 69 & 70. Our morning fire was a load of pine.

being cheap,only 2 fires with 4 splits in the last month.
Is that two splits per fire 😂. But were you warm?

We have an outside temp of 52.2 with the temps up here 69 & 70, no fire tonight.

Sounds like you could benefit from something larger like a pe summit or something along those lines

Rental house - landlord isn't really investing anything into the house, so I'm stuck with the VC Montpelier.

Personally I feel running STT is too low at 400. Burn hot to keep creosote at bay. Burn hotter with a larger load and your house will warm up faster. Also you benefit from secondary combustion with a hotter burn. I have a small stove and burn between 550-625 STT. Heats 1,900 sq feet no problem.

I've always felt bad for running an insert too hot - I can't really extract much more heat out of it proportional to the fuel I'm burning. Even after running 400F for a day, the exterior brick chimney is noticeably warm to touch, I'm losing so much energy vs extracted.

Outside high of 57F today and overcast. 1/2 load of ash to chase the chill out. This afternoon I'll burn down the coals and clean up ash.

Reactions: thewoodlands
**venting out of frustration**

SO wanted to clean up the stove area so so dumped about half bag of biobricks along with my half box of kindling. I came back home to 650F STT, bricks firing, and stove door cracked open - reason "it burns faster this way".

We had 45 degrees for the outside temp this morning, we didn't have a fire last night so the house was 66 & 67 with the basement temp at 70.

More pine went in this morning while we had coffee.

**venting out of frustration**

SO wanted to clean up the stove area so so dumped about half bag of biobricks along with my half box of kindling. I came back home to 650F STT, bricks firing, and stove door cracked open - reason "it burns faster this way".
Oh boy, someone’s in trouble lol

The outside temp is 44.2 tonight, the basement temp is starting at 72 and the temps up here is 70 with the Liberty getting a load of popple & pine.

Ash. Thats whats in my stove. Back into the high 70's and low 80's for the next few days. Looking at the 10 day forecast it does not appear we will need to light up in the next 10 days.

We had 44.2 for an outside temp this morning, the basement was 68 with the temps up here 68 & 69. Another load of shoulder season wood went in the wood stove this morning after changing the batteries in the detectors.

Reactions: ozarkoak
High of 61F today, burnt down all coals and cleared out ashes.

Going down to 30s tonight. Cold started stove with small ash splits and locust logs, loaded stove to about 50%. Around bedtime I'll do a full reload with left over red oak from last year.

The outside temp tonight is 33.8, the basement temp is 75 heading up and the temps up here 69 & 70. The overnight load has four splits of ash on the bottom row and four splits of shoulder season wood on the top row.

The 4 oak splits kept living room at 66F overnight. Reloaded with 5 locust logs. High will be 51F today, I'll slowly feed ash shorts and uglies throughout the afternoon.

Using heat pump. Too warm for stove with temps in 40’s, 50’s.

We had 28.5 this morning with the temps up here 68 & 69 and the basement 72. More shoulder season wood went in for the first fire before I went outside to work, when I came in the basement was 79, the wife has been burning doing a great job.

Reactions: zmender and xshmoox