What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm burning red oak. A waste this time of year, I know, but I just burn in the order it was stacked. Presently burning a stack from spring 2019, so it has five summers of drying on it. Believe it or not, even after all this time, you can still notice that crotches and burls are harder to get going than straight grain.

While I don't separate by species, I do always throw any split crotches or burls on top of the stack, and plow thru them in this early shoulder season, when I'm not worried about packing the stove tight with maximum-weight loads.

I went to bed last night house was at 69, woke up at 630 it was 65. Sunny and 60 today I’ll see how the house is tonight before bed. If I decide to burn it will be our 3rd of the season. Small splits, 6-8pcs, shagbark hickory on the menu.

Reactions: NickW
The outside temp is 50 with some rain, I just started a second pine fire, the house is still 69 to 70. Not that I really want to burn 4 face cord quick but once we're done with 4, I can start stacking the middle and back row with more pine for next year. We have 2 different areas that hold 6 face cord each, 2 face cord per stack for a total of 3 stacks per area.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Right now, the white paper birch logs my wife likes to keep in there over the summer for the visual.
Tomorrow, they come out, the chimney gets cleaned, and the pine will probable light up by Friday to keep us warm as this chilly wave blows through.

Reactions: thewoodlands
First fire of the season. Ash and silver maple. Going to light it for good this weekend.

It was 44.2 this morning with the house still at 67 to 69. We had two smaller fires before 12 today that has the house between 71 & 73.

They're calling for a low of 37 tonight so we'll have two fires tonight before we call it a night, that should keep things warm enough.

It's 37.6 out tonight with the temps in here 70 & 71, another shoulder season fire is going in the wood stove.

The basement temp was 75 when I started the fire tonight.

Reactions: NickW
Rainy and upper 40's. 1 piece of ash and 5 crap wood taking the chill out. Temps and precipitation will be steady for several days...

We had 37.5 this morning with the temps in the house 68 to 70 before coffee. We had a fire while having coffee and then before I left, I put another three splits in the wood stove, the house is 70 to 72 at the moment.

We have a temp of 41.9 tonight, the inside temps are 70 to 71. Another load of pine is going in the Liberty that should raise the basement temp to 79 and then I'll shut the fan off, push the air in before calling it a night.

We had 39.4 this morning with the house temp at 68, two quick pine fires has the house temps 70 & 71.

Reactions: Prometeo
It's 45.1 tonight with the house temps at 70 to 71. I had a small shoulder season fire after six tonight and just started another small fire. I'll shut the fan on the stove off in about twenty minutes. The basement temp was 75 when I started the second fire so we should have plenty of heat with the outside temps we're having.

We had 42,6 this morning with the temps in the house between 68 to 70. We had one fire this morning, that raised the temps to 70 & 71.

A few medium sized oak splits, one mystery round and some kindling. It’s all been in my house next to the fireplace since early spring.