What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
still ash from last year,i suppose i'll have to start getting it ready;). hit 8c last night.still nice
If you're lucky there's a dead bird in there too! 😁

We had 41.4 this morning, we had another fire while having coffee.

Nothing is in our wood stove as of yet. Inspector comes tomorrow morning to sign off on the installation. New Vermont Castings Defiant will be fired up after passing inspection - at least for the test fires.

It was 41.4 this morning with a strong sun, we're in a stretch of summer like temps for the rest of this week and next.

Still nothing yet... which is good. This summer (year 3 in our house) has been a busy one, we did a ton of work in our yard which included expansion, a new swingset for the kids, two new gravel paths, a spot for fruit trees, a spot for a food garden, a spot for a 30'x50' barn and lastly a new woodshed (8x16 from Jamacia Cottage Shops https://jamaicacottageshop.com/jcs-models/woodbin/?_pa_product_size=8x16&_pa_format=pre-cut-kit) which is scheduled to arrive (not assembled) on November 9th.

I only have about 1/2 a cord from last year so I'm in an odd spot, if I get wood now, it will have to sit on the ground until my shed arrives and I build it, if I wait, it might be tough to find some decent wood in November.

As for next year (and beyond), as part of the clearing process we had them cut the trees into log length and keep them on our property. My napkin math tells me we have roughly 18.5 cords of wood (half Hemlock and half oak and other hardwood, no pine) which should give us roughly 5 years of heat. I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow.

Still nothing yet... which is good. This summer (year 3 in our house) has been a busy one, we did a ton of work in our yard which included expansion, a new swingset for the kids, two new gravel paths, a spot for fruit trees, a spot for a food garden, a spot for a 30'x50' barn and lastly a new woodshed (8x16 from Jamacia Cottage Shops https://jamaicacottageshop.com/jcs-models/woodbin/?_pa_product_size=8x16&_pa_format=pre-cut-kit) which is scheduled to arrive (not assembled) on November 9th.

I only have about 1/2 a cord from last year so I'm in an odd spot, if I get wood now, it will have to sit on the ground until my shed arrives and I build it, if I wait, it might be tough to find some decent wood in November.

As for next year (and beyond), as part of the clearing process we had them cut the trees into log length and keep them on our property. My napkin math tells me we have roughly 18.5 cords of wood (half Hemlock and half oak and other hardwood, no pine) which should give us roughly 5 years of heat. I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow.
Oak will probably take 3 years (after css) to be seasoned. Hopefully there's some ash or cherry or other quick seasoning hardwoods in the pile... Get 3 years ahead if you can, then you don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: Ashful
Well I got the king up and running tonight, a measly 6 smaller splits of shagbark hickory. The house was at 65 this evening and it’s only forecast to be rainy and 62 tomorrow so an opportunity to take the chill off arose. Nothing like that first fire of the season smell, to remind short days and cold nights are on the way.

Looking like at minimum another week before a fire is lit with highs hitting 82 next week

It doesn't look like we'll be burning after looking at the long range forecast, it looks like the summer temps and the dry weather are here until October 8.

Not much going on the last two days (recliner days) after running the roads yesterday and today was Covid and Flu shot day.

Nothing in the stove, but I took the air conditioner units out of the windows today. One step at a time. Maybe I’ll close up the pool one of these days. 😂

Nothing in the stove, but I took the air conditioner units out of the windows today. One step at a time. Maybe I’ll close up the pool one of these days. 😂
I shut off our pool heater a week ago. I think water temperature may finally be cool enough by this weekend to start closing. Getting tired of fishing leaves out of the skimmer twice a day, and vacuuming them off the bottom, since no one is using it in this weather.

Missed the dry/hard ground for moving wood, it rained all of this week. Looking to string a few dry days together so I can move the first two cords for this season.

Reactions: Diabel and Jay106n
Same here. So much rain this year. I can barely mow the lawn.

We had 53.4 this morning with a high of 70 forecast for today.

We've had rain 6 of the last 7 days, and not just a little. I've emptied a cumulative 7(?) inches out of the rain gauge the last several days, I'd guess. Kinda makes me wish I'd been tracking it more than a casual glance, but I usually only watch it close when we've been dry, not wet.

Yup crazy heavy rain here too on Jersey coast so this is in my stove now. Power outage.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Im assuming youre in North Jersey? Didn’t get much down here besides some spitting and normal rain, nothing heavy.
Central by Sandy hook, 1 mile from the ocean. Storm rolled right up the coast.

Oh, what the heck. A little oak and pine for starter. 5 am coffee and a fire. Maybe it will be out before the sun comes up and the neighbors find out they live next to a crazy person.
Lights are still off except for a quick picture.

I'm not sure what the temp was this morning but no fire, just coffee. It doesn't look like we'll be burning again until a week from tomorrow if the forecast holds.

Today they're calling for an inch + of rain for October 8 so we'll get some wood inside this coming week.

Nothing in my stove yet, but heating season will be here soon. Tonight will be a low of about 40. In a few days the high during the day will be 80. Talk about some fall temperatures swings!

I have only burnt douglas fir for the past 10 years and finally have some oak splits that should be ready to burn now. It will be interesting to see how the oak compares to doug fir. I typically burn 3 to 3.5 cords of fir per season. I can't really do a true comparison this winter since I upgraded my home's insulation a few months ago. Maybe somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 cord range?

For anyone looking to upgrade their insulation, there are some great federal tax credits going on right now. My power company gave me a substantial rebate on the insulation too.

Nothing still, but there's a chimney log in the fire pit with a piece of copper tubing and vinyl hose. Unfortunately the colors didn't show up on my crappy phone camera video, so I didn't attach it...

We had a low of 55.2 this morning, when I came in today we had a temp in the sun of 84, glad I was in the shade.

According to the weather guessers, this summer trend will all change come next weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). I brought couple of wheelbarrows of 5 year old hemlock close ti the house. I will have fire next weekend👍