What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finally have some time to stick close to home, so feeding the stove a steady diet of uglies which I had intended to burn this fall. They burn just as good now though, and the yard is already looking better :)

Using my nice splits of birch and spruce for overnight burns. Temps are around -20*C here this week, so need my fat splits for overnight.

For the first time ever have some seasoned hardwood to run in her. 16%mc ash that is scavenged a truck bed full of. Exited to see what this stove will do with. Some decent wood lol

Enjoy!

Reactions: MEngineer24
Down to 22 tonight...just loaded up a load of burr oak and locust..beautiful combo for these cold nights!

Unburnt oak… noticed that this early am going to work…
Musta been dying soo bad, those pieces never caught on. 🤔

Be careful adding wood and then walking out; sometimes a stove can take off on you.

37 and rising outside. So after adding two cookies of oak this morning to the 1/2 burned firebox of pine from last night (b/c I went out today), I now reloaded with pine. Tomorrow 45, so I'll have it cruising the coals for long time tomorrow, and I didn't feel the need to use oak tonight.

I added the wood last night… noticed deadwood this morning…

My point is that adding wood and leaving the stove before it is in stable cruising mode can be dangerous. Leaving for bed or for work doesn't make a difference.

Also,.make sure you don't turn down the air too soon (as evidently happened here) - it can result in a lot of creosote in the chimney.

Last edited:
Lows headed for around 10 to teens tonight, 3 pieces of red elm 3 pieces of juniper and the rest will be pine of course. Going to warm up a tad ahead of the systems moving in, I’ll probably take advantage and clean the ashes as I’ve got quite the pile again..

Expecting a low of 25 tonight with 38 out now. I've got a big red oak round with some hickory and white oak splits for the overnight. Expecting highs to be above normal for the foreseeable future.....50s and 60s......after a very warm fall. Winter is looking like it will be a big ole goose egg around these parts.

Expecting a low of 25 tonight with 38 out now. I've got a big red oak round with some hickory and white oak splits for the overnight. Expecting highs to be above normal for the foreseeable future.....50s and 60s......after a very warm fall. Winter is looking like it will be a big ole goose egg around these parts.
You never know

Ash and beech tonight in the northwoods. Going down to 2. Might get above freezing Friday, but I'll be back home. Next week highs in the teens and single digits or below 0 overnights. Home in SE WI is 10-15 degrees warmer and the NC-30 is there keeping things warm.

The Strattford II doesn't heat like the NC30, but it doesn't need to with good insulation & sealing and NG furnace instead of '78 insulation and electric baseboard...

Black locust and red oak for the overnight. Supposed to be a blustery Wednesday morning at 24F. High tomorrow is 36. Looks like I’ll be keeping the stove burning through the day again!

I loaded with pine at 7 pm last night. It was 37 and rising. Today topped out at 45 with a nice sun after the rain stopped at 10 am.
The load of pine lasted exactly 24 hrs keeping the home at 68 F (also courtesy of the sun and not very cold temps). This is what's left now upon reload with pine. Tonight a low of 32, and it has gotten very windy. So I'll be running higher due to the larger heat loss of the home. No 24 hrs for me on this load.

I loaded with pine at 7 pm last night. It was 37 and rising. Today topped out at 45 with a nice sun after the rain stopped at 10 am.
The load of pine lasted exactly 24 hrs keeping the home at 68 F (also courtesy of the sun and not very cold temps). This is what's left now upon reload with pine. Tonight a low of 32, and it has gotten very windy. So I'll be running higher due to the larger heat loss of the home. No 24 hrs for me on this load.

View attachment 288279
The devil pine ain’t so bad after all.