What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Decided to mix it up a bit this morning. Normally, with temps around 35s I burn hardwood overnight and hemlock, basswood during the day. The softwood gets max 6h burns. After 6h the relights maybe a bit tough. I will be out most of the day (time to get a new phone). Loaded the VC with one split of sugar maple, one of yellow birch, one of ash and a 3” (branch wood) round of honey locust. I should have plenty coals when I get home around 6pm.

Reloaded on a coal bed and a few large chunks because I have to get groceries... Bit too early but so be it.
Two small splits of dogwood, and three crooked splits of pine will carry me to the evening reload.

Miserable, grey, rainy, 43 F day today. Tonight 42. Tomorrow 42. But tomorrow night 26 F. Will put some oak in then 😁

I might be burning something that resembles pine along with some effin poplar, & some random light wood that I cannot remember at the moment. Too warm to burn all day and just cold enough at night to get the house chilly...

Reloaded with pine for the night.

Back home for a few days. Going down to 18 tonight. Load of ash. Man, what a difference an extra year of seasoning makes... Last year went way better than the first year, this year is that much better. Shut down the air sooner and farther, more controllable, longer burns.

Did first somewhat overnight in brand new vogelzang. 5+ hrs had big coal chunks left in it this morning. 32outside. Reloaded with some fat pine stokers and some Bradford pear. Gonna try boiling water for coffee and cooking breakfast stovetop today

Cold front set in for the day. Just started a load of red oak limb wood. Temps are predicted to continually drop throughout the day to a low in the 20s overnight. Currently it’s 37.

Oak, mostly red (some pieces I'm not sure; scrounging wood).
Four 5" rounds on the bottom, the rest splits. All branchwood.
31 now, decreasing, 26 low. Tomorrow 37.

First ever only oak load.

Have run mostly low, so apologies for the window blackness... The disadvantage of my stove.

Lol, and the Legos of the kids in the background...

Back in the northwoods. Down to 3 tonight, high of 17 tomorrow with 2-5", down to 2 tomorrow night. Same drill - punky honey locust and pine during the days, ash & beech overnight. Brought more shorts up from home - ash and box elder.

That oak from last night took 18.5 hrs to be done. That was nice. This afternoon I put a few shorties and bent pieces in to tide me over till now.
34 now. A low of 33. Tomorrow 42.

I'll be splitting some pine at.my friend where we took it down. He allowed me to put a rack there (and the SO didn't allow more.of those here and the woodshed is full...). So I can't have an 18 hr run as I need to reload it tomorrow morning. Hence, pine it is.

Last edited:
Same as the other day...something like pine, effin poplar, and the random light wood...might actually be a gum tree of some kind as I have thought about it.
EDIT: Cat is liking it also...and the other cat decided to join her...

IMG_20211220_212738130.jpg IMG_20211220_214221522.jpg

Last edited:
That oak from last night took 18.5 hrs to be done. That was nice. This afternoon I put a few shorties and bent pieces in to tide me over till now.
34 now. A low of 33. Tomorrow 42.

I'll be splitting some pine at.my friend where we took it down. He allowed me to put a rack there (and the SO didn't allow more.of those here and the woodshed is full...). So I can't have an 18 hr run as I need to reload it tomorrow morning. Hence, pine it is.
Them BK stoves…. i always get messed up when it comes to reloads. The intervals are just too far apart..

Them BK stoves…. i always get messed up when it comes to reloads. The intervals are just too far apart..

Yes, I'm struggling a bit. 15-20 hrs sucks. But doing 12 hrs feels like waste (and gets it too hot).

Norway maple (the last of five we've had to take down since we moved in,) and ash, cuz man, there is ash coming down everywhere! I'm kinda getting sick of it. I can't explain it, but ash just seems messier than maple, cherry or beech.
Yes, with all the brittle dead branches and bark peeling off it is messy; but it burns nice and seasons fast. Not the BTU'S of hard maple or beech, but definitely the go to wood for many of us for day to day burning.