What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is in the city. At the lake I have about 6yr worth supply. I am selling the house where the VC sits, I will be a one stove member (hopefully) soon.

Glad to hear; a Northern neighbor with less than a cord left mid December would be a sad story.

Ohhh i remember back in ……not sure the yr. buying “seasoned “ wood in mid Feb and stuffing the box full of it and all I could hear was the water steaming….
We have all been there and the novices can only learn from reading here about our mistakes or learning through the season from their own….

Had a morning hemlock fire, by 2pm it was 57 outside. Main house level was too warm. No fire til tomorrow afternoon.
NG will likely be running some in the morning.

Edit.
It is 57 right now. It was closer to 59/60 this afternoon. Totally stupid weather

Last edited:
Last week northern WI was below zero then got a foot of snow. Yesterday was so warm and foggy that the shingle nails sticking through the sheeting in the garage were condensing and occasionally would drip.
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
Crazy.

Back home now. Did a load of softwood to get ready for the overnight

That (nails) is from condensation against cold nails?

That (nails) is from condensation against cold nails?
Yes! It was over 60 and foggy, had been below zero early in the week, then a foot of snow on the roof keeping them cold. I got a ladder and climbed up into the trusses. Every nail had a drop of water on it. Every 8d sheeting nail that missed the truss was the same thing... craziest thing I ever saw. Probably a thousand nails. I noticed it because of the random drips on the garage floor. Everywhere, no puddles or leaks, just random single drips...

Are you heating the garage? Likely not

Oh yeah, I get the physics behind it. Just never occurred to me that it was something that could/would happen.

Reactions: Diabel
Indeed. Wow. Dehumidifier would have had a field day in that space. ..

Too warm here again tonight. The heat pump is doing its thing. Expecting a low in the 50’s. This is some interesting weather. I can’t ever seem to recall a December with highs in the 70’s especially this close to Christmas.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Has been a warm week so far. Had the insert doing heating duties. Was 63 yesterday, back to seasonable tonight getting down into the 20s. Letting the insert go out and fired up Myra with some Elm.

Too warm here again tonight. The heat pump is doing its thing. Expecting a low in the 50’s. This is some interesting weather. I can’t ever seem to recall a December with highs in the 70’s especially this close to Christmas.

I agree. I can recall a fluke day here and there over the years.....but never as many as we have had here this year.

Reactions: MEngineer24
off track here cuz the stove is out again tonight. it happens here in new england every 5 or 6 years we get a warm december then when it hit late january into febuary we get really cold and get deep snows. were going to get wacked soon. after midnite here and still 51 degrees

41 right now slowly dropping to 25 overnight into Sat. Will empty the ashes this morning and brush the cat. Will light a fire in the afternoon (hemlock) and reload for overnight around 9:00pm. I do not think we will see above freezing temps for a while here.

High 30's last night 44 and rain right now. A few pieces of red oak and it got a little warm 79. I'm not a huge fan of anything much over 73-75. Down to mid to low 20's tonight. By the time it cools down in here enough to re fire I'm betting I will have to start all over. By the end of next week they are saying 60's again.

Cooler temps coming in tonight. Fired her up after a week long shutdown. Nothing fancy, just some maple.

30's and rain here this evening. After not burning all week we have a crazy mix of Ash, Red Oak, Kentucky Coffee Tree, and Honey Locust burning away in the Kozy Heat Z42CD. I'm ready for some freeze up so I can skid some logs out of the woods. Mud season needs to stay in the spring!

Could have waited till tomorrow; 46 now, dropping to 40 tomorrow morning. That seems also to be that max for tomorrow. But I couldn't wait... I'll keep it smoldering (cat stove) overnight.

Mix of sassafras, pine, and dogwood.

Had a load of red oak and post oak last night with a low of 32. Its 34 now with a load of post oak and hickory for the morning. Expecting 40 for a high.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Looking at a cold stove again today. There’s a cold front coming in overnight tonight. High of 65 today waking up to 20’s in the morning.