What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like you rake the coals to one side on a reload? I may try this method. Do you find it effective?
Yeah I’ve done both, rake to front, or rake to a side. I’ll rake front when I’m doing my bottom splits E/W, but I can usually fit just a bit more wood loading N/S; so I’ll rake to the side for the N/S loads. I found for me when raking to the front and loading N/S the splits end up angled so I lose a little space. Probably splitting hairs. Lol long story short yes it works for me, stove was still around 350-375 STT active cat when I left the house (about 20 mins ago), so I’m going on 16 or so hours now.

Reactions: MEngineer24
29 and freezing rain predicted here for later tonight. They are saying freezing rain in the morning and then the temp is supposed to climb to near 50 and then dump 20 to 40 mm of heavy rain before it drops to 27 with very strong NW winds. Betty is digesting a diet of 7 year old Red Oak very nicely.

Warm ashes. Was out today, came back at 3 and the last coals we're glowing from yesterday's evening load in the basement, with the living room at 68.

Was 50 today, 38 low tonight, 58 tomorrow. So I'll use the minisplit for the next few days.

70 degrees here right now. Massive tornadoes in north east Arkansas. :( Supposed to be 35 by morning after this cold front blows through. Box is cold and keeping an eye on the weather. I hope everyone is safe! this looks like it may be a close to historic tornado outbreak.
Stay safe.

Thank you. It looks like our Kentucky friends are in the line of fire right now. Man these things make me so sad.
I was in Raleigh North Carolina when my father was in the hospital recovering one spring (not sure what year it was) there was a tornado outbreak in the south happening, when it hit N.C. we had one 10 miles north and one 10 miles south of us, being from northern New York, that was close enough.

Lows headed for around 0F tonight, another mahogany juniper pine mix going in.
Where did you get mahogany? Are these splits or construction debris?

Reactions: ozarkoak
We had 37.2 this morning with some winds but nothing bad yet. The wood stove saw another load of cherry this morning, it's 46 just north of here by 4 miles so I'm not sure if we'll have another fire today.

NOAA has a high for our area of 54 before the high winds move in.

Thank you. It looks like our Kentucky friends are in the line of fire right now. Man these things make me so sad.
The outbreak when I was in North Carolina was 2011, when I finally made it home a week later, there was flooding going on along the river.

Funny went to bed it was 70 woke up it was 35 and cold winds. I had already set the stove up last night with some red oak. Got up this morning all I had to do was light a match,
That sounds like it's good and dry. My only scrounge was White & Red Oak, I let that season four years (top covered for 2) and I still had some splits spitting water back at me when I burned it, maybe my splits should've been smaller.

That sounds like it's good and dry. My only scrounge was White & Red Oak, I let that season four years (top covered for 2) and I still had some splits spitting water back at me when I burned it, maybe my splits should've been smaller.
Yep the wood is nice and dry it came in at around 30% last year which kind of sucked. But I crisscross stacked it last fall in probably the best place I could. Sun from sun up to sundown and full wind. Its coming in this year under 20% on a fresh split face. I have not needed more than one match yet this year. Completely different heating this year with properly dried wood. I was actually thinking of creating a post on the difference between dry and wet wood so the unbelievers and new burners could get an understanding.

Pushed my old stove to a new limit tonight. Loaded it up fuller than I ever have. mostly maple with a little bit of oak. Got stove top up past 550f. What a difference in heat output. Got the bottom to glow so I'm guessing I over fired it? Or is that safe on 100yr old cast iron?

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

If I "over fire " my stove would it look like that? (thinking over-firing means too much wood) are I right with this thinking and is it "safe"?? clancey

Overfiring is not necessarily too much wood. It is running the stove to temps in excess of manufacturer specs and possibly or likely damaging a stove by warping and/or weakening steel, cast or other components.

Reactions: MMH