What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cool. Seems quite similar to (how I operate) my cat stove. Char the load, and then glowing stuff and an orange cat.
You can't see the flames from the gasification as they burn off in a chamber above the door, If you open the door quickly and look up you can see them for a second but they stop when the extra air is introduced to them from the open door.

You can't see the flames from the gasification as they burn off in a chamber above the door, If you open the door quickly and look up you can see them for a second but they stop when the extra air is introduced to them from the open door.

Yes. No flames here often. Just a glowing cat that I can see when I put my head down and look up steeply through the window.

Its been too warm for me to appreciate the burning in my wood stove--in the high 60's I think..at night it does get cold above freezing and would rather start burning in the day time--just in case something goes wrong--still feel insecure--new burner--lol I burn kiln dried oak 16 inches split and put about three or four of them in...Mountains here got snow but not me...clancey

I never looked at the temp this morning but I'm thinking it was around 23, loaded the wood stove up with cherry while we were having coffee.

After a day and a half with the minisplit, it's 41 and decreasing now. Low of 30. So I lit the stove again.

What's in it? Last year's Christmas tree to warm it up for an overnight reload. I had taken the branches off, cut it up and split it in half to dry it faster (was only 2-3" dia, but better safe than sorry).

I thought that was appropriate.
Full load of pine later tonight.

36 and increasing tonight. Put some pine cookies and three oak shorties in to keep me warm until tomorrow morning. Then it'll be the minisplit.

26 and windy, dropping to upper teens, another load of ash. Going to start getting a little colder and will need to bring some beech in. Northwoods got snow last night and will again tomorrow. Going to try to beat tomorrow's before the roads get bad and start cabinet install.

nothing in the stove right now all tho it's cold enough. in mass. i'm in south florida right now where it's been 80's and getting humid day after day so running the air conditioning. be here for the week so have a break from the stove.

Had a low of 40 last night with two white oak rounds and two red oak splits. Its 44 with rain now but we are supposed to get to 60 today so I will let the stove go cold. Looks like just night fires for the next several days until saturday night when a strong cold front will make it's way through.

Currently 5 out snow falling again, stoves still cruising on the mahogany from last nights load. Let it snow.

What stove do you have?

Raked the last coals together from yesterday's load. We got 2 hrs of sun today which added some heat, and the partial load meant to get us thru the night lasted the whole day... Cat now on the verge of reaching the inactive zone. Max temp outside bwas 48 F.
With the heat reservoir that is my basement still providing heat upstairs, I will only need the minisplit tomorrow morning.

A typical load of red oak. I think I have learned this stove after weeks of some frustration. Upon a full load I need to allow the wood to catch and very slowly and in small increments close the air to avoid it running loose. Now this does take some time to char the wood and get things stable, but well worth it. I am currently running at stove top about 450° and slowly rising and flue reading under 400° with no smoke. Needless to say I am more optimistic about this stove and its performance.

One thing I did have to learn with these new tube stoves, you can't have a raging fire with real burning wood like a campfire. It is wildly inefficient and there is a ton of wood consumption and lots of smoke. I never had a stove with glass so only was guessing on what was happening inside based on temps and smoke. Now I know and I think I have a pretty good handle on that after weeks of alot of wood consumption and inefficient burns. Thank goodness for this forum to be able to get real data from real world experience and the knowledge of folks on this site.