Upgrading 1988 Heatilator to 2016 Pacific Energy FP30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Umm....is the piece of galvanized strip under the front installed correctly? I thought it was ember protection in the case anything gets between stove unit and hearth material? I didn't look at install manual......

safety strip appears to exceed specifications of 2". There is a 2"+ thick piece of limestone coming to cover this up.

Attachments

• 0218171003.jpg
    0218171003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
0218171017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought the FP30 today,
I'm wondering if its possible to bring the hearth "seat" up closer to the bottom of the black.
I planed on using block and mortar opposed to wood for the inner structure.

I'm no expert, but the instructions state that no combustible material can be in that region. Interpret that as you will. Seems as if it was all block and masonry, it would be ok.

Ah, i have not seen the manual yet, i will have to look it over thoroughly when the stove comes in and make my own determination,
Mine is also going to be sitting on a steel sheet that comes out the front the whole 18" of the hearth.

Time to cover up all that hard work. Structural support for mantle. 7/16's all thread run through the steel studs and backed with another piece of uni-strut. Washers and nuts on both sides of metal stud to keep from crushing it. Wiring for Sillite electrical outlets switched low voltage for RGB LED strip lighting recessed in the mantle top. I will rough in a box from dimension lumber and OSB which will be wrapped in oak to give the appearance of a solid slab.

Attachments

• 0219170801.jpg
    0219170801.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 0219170803.jpg
    0219170803.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: bfast250
Ah, i have not seen the manual yet, i will have to look it over thoroughly when the stove comes in and make my own determination,
Mine is also going to be sitting on a steel sheet that comes out the front the whole 18" of the hearth.
no reason to wait for the unit to show up. Manual is available online. Appears to be the same as the version I received in my unit.

Attachments

• FP30.BODYB_120216-32.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 283
Looking good weasel....when I first looked at first set of pics, I thought the metal strip was under the unit, not out in front. My bad.

All closed up, ready to rock. Brought the sample home one last time, now that paint and lighting are in place, just to be sure.

Attachments

• 0221170649.jpg
    0221170649.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 0221170649a.jpg
    0221170649a.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 206
Looking good. Have you lit it up yet?

temperatures are supposed to drop again this weekend and I have the house to myself, sounds like it's time to stink things up
Anybody care to spare me hours of searching on break in fires and give me the Cliff notes version?

It's a steel stove at heart. Just do a small break in fire with 6 or 7, 2" sticks to dry out the firebrick. Let that go out, then go ahead and do a good load of splits to bake the paint. Open a window or two and put a fan to exhaust fumes out one window if possible.

Last edited:
it is finally that day...

Attachments

• 0304171301.jpg
    0304171301.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 182
FIRST BURN!

Attachments

• 0304171302.jpg
    0304171302.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 0304171302b.jpg
    0304171302b.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 0304171314.jpg
    0304171314.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: mcdougy
My blower didn't kick in during this initial small burn. Should it have? Manual only offers cryptic description of " appropriate operating temperature" with no numerical range.

I swear as soon as I hit "post reply" the blower kicked on! Whoopee!

Initial impression: WOW! This thing breathes easy as reported. Igniting one fatwood stick was all it took to get my little stack of hickory going. The air wash system is something to see for the first time. Smoke rolls down, right over the glass, about an inch behind it. The blower is noticeable at my controllers "high" position, but "medium" is a minimal hum and "low" is imperceptible unless you darn near have your ear to the surround. And this is with just the cement board over the top. Can't wait to fire it up a little more seriously later today.
My ages old woodpile will need a good sorting when I go to build something a little more weather resistant to hold my harvest this summer. A lot of mush, but still a fair amount of hickory and cherry has survived, I just need to get it re-stacked and covered better.

Reactions: mcdougy
Gonna be a hot time in Iowa City tonight!

Fantastic build!!!!! I wish blaze king would have had a insert other then the prinsess when I bought my stove and I would have done a fireplace instead!