Thinking of upgrading to Jotul, wondering about sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want long burn times, just burn wet wood. (Kidding)

I have a 500 and it heats my 1600 SF CT home well. I would say go with the 600, load her up with dry wood and damp her down.

I don't have the luxury of a well insulated home, so my results will definitely be different

I think you are on the right track. That Absolute Steel looks like a perfect medium-sized stove for someone in your position, at least on paper. I love my 2.0 cf., secondary burn stove, but it does peter out on long, cold winter nights. A 2.5 cf. "hybrid" would definitely cover those last few hours when I want to sleep in on a lazy Saturday morning in the middle of winter, without blowing you out of your house at the apex of the burn. Unfortunately, my wife just doesn't like the WS designs, steel and soapstone, so I never really looked into them.

I think you are on the right track. That Absolute Steel looks like a perfect medium-sized stove for someone in your position, at least on paper. I love my 2.0 cf., secondary burn stove, but it does peter out on long, cold winter nights. A 2.5 cf. "hybrid" would definitely cover those last few hours when I want to sleep in on a lazy Saturday morning in the middle of winter, without blowing you out of your house at the apex of the burn. Unfortunately, my wife just doesn't like the WS designs, steel and soapstone, so I never really looked into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.