Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@Ashful her temperature tolerance seems to fluctuate quite a bit too. Sometimes it’s 64 degrees in here and she says she’s sweating, and other times like today, it’s 71/72 and she puts a sweater on. I’m fine 65-75 really. Most comfortable at 70-72 but will tolerate higher temps OK. Much better than my wife, generally speaking

Last edited:
I'm good with a big range too. 59-85F. (At 59F i know it's go time with the stove so that's not gonna hang around for very long.)
At 85 i'm in boxers and bare feet.
Wife might have the blanket on and be like it's not that hot in here.

I sure do love this thing. Feels like 15* outside and still 72-73 in here. It would cost me a fortune to maintain this temp with the boiler at these ambient temperatures. Stove still holding 400 degrees SST

IMG_0056.png

Wood heat is the coziest. It feels good knowing your hard work is paying off, too. Another benefit is it dries off all your winter gear quickly. Huge perk when you have little kids.

I personally like 68-70 if I had to be specific but I'm pretty happy 65-72. Any colder the stove is going on anyways and any higher and I'm in only boxers sweating. I would much rather be cold than hot, I don't tolerate being hot very well.

Best damn clothes dryer there is:

She said it was ok today, so
Just started the stove. She made it clear she did not want to be “asked” every day to have a fire though.

View attachment 323033
Should be an ask thing. You should be able to do it if you want. She isn't the keeper of the fire...even tho she thinks she is. But we've beaten this horse to death.

Man. We gotta get those logs packed in tight. Your burn times will double.

Should be an ask thing. You should be able to do it if you want. She isn't the keeper of the fire...even tho she thinks she is. But we've beaten this horse to death.

I try to open things up on cold starts. Helps it take off fast and get hot quickly. Blower comes on fast this way too.

And you’re right. I shouldn’t have to ask. But if I want any keeping the peace and having fires , this is how it has to be. Can’t have both any other way, at this point. If I had my way, the stove would never cool off.

Last edited:

He wants it hot fast, he needs his quick fix.
He can reload it tight after the buzz settles in.

Reactions: MRD1985
That top log is a bit aggressive lol....but I like it. Just make sure you aren't blocking any secondary tubes. Stay on the air so you don't go nuclear! Tell us how it goes.
Shoved it back more once coals went down more

Finished splitting that first load. That hickory sure is tough. Though I think it was slightly easier now that it was “frozen”. Still was tough. Maple was much easier frozen

Turned air all the way down about 5-10 min ago . Stove 600 and slowly climbing. Definitely gets hotter much fast when I stagger them lol

Turned air all the way down about 5-10 min ago . Stove 600 and slowly climbing. Definitely gets hotter much fast when I stagger them lol

View attachment 323053
Yeah but this will last much longer and you'll end up with more total BTUs. This is the way. Unless you need immediate heat right now then the other way is good to start.

Surprised you can turn it all the way down when tightly packed. Has to be the easy breathing.

Finished splitting that first load. That hickory sure is tough. Though I think it was slightly easier now that it was “frozen”. Still was tough. Maple was much easier frozen
Yeah maple explodes when frozen. Same with oak. Hickory is a workout.

Reactions: all night moe
Yeah but this will last much longer and you'll end up with more total BTUs. This is the way. Unless you need immediate heat right now then the other way is good to start.

Surprised you can turn it all the way down when tightly packed. Has to be the easy breathing.
That is the only explanation I can think of too. Curious to see how long this load lasts

Secondary’s steady burning but calm if that makes any sense

That is the only explanation I can think of too. Curious to see how long this load lasts

Secondary’s steady burning but calm if that makes any sense

View attachment 323055
Yup that's the cruise setting. It's cool to cruise your ride.

Chilly today splitting but I was sweating when I stopped for sure. I picked up an 8 lb sledge (Wilton) to split some of this stuff, wasnt going to happen any other way.

Now time to chill by the fire with a hot cup
Of coffee
IMG_0063.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what it's supposed to do. Looks perfect. It'll go like this for a long time with good wood.
We’ll see how long it lasts. I think my wood is too dry lmao.

Cruising around 725-750 currently with blower on max. If I turn the blower down stove will probably get too hot .

We’ll see how long it lasts. I think my wood is too dry lmao.

Cruising around 725-750 currently
That's perfect. It's not too dry lol your stove is just very easy breathing.

I had a perfectly sized coal bed for reloading this morning at 7:30. Reloaded at 11 last night so a solid 8.5 hours later. Probably only got real heat for 5-6 hours of that but the convenience of being able to reload 8-10 hours later is awesome.