Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Honey, I know I made a promise to not use the stove for heat but, the dry heat of the stove really sooths my aches. Would it be ok with you if we had some fires more often?"

Edit/add on: "Either way, I think WE should invest in a quality air purifier for the stove room."

"Honey, I know I made a promise to not use the stove for heat but, the dry heat of the stove really sooths my aches. Would it be ok with you if we had some fires more often?"

Edit/add on: "Either way, I think WE should invest in a quality air purifier for the stove room."
To someone that wasn’t out to prove a point and digs their feet in, that might be feasible. But won’t work in my case as much as I’d love it to.

We do have 2 larger air purifiers (one in each of the kids rooms), but your suggestion is a good one.

Reactions: all night moe
To someone that wasn’t out to prove a point and digs their feet in, that might be feasible. But won’t work in my case as much as I’d love it to.

We do have 2 larger air purifiers (one in each of the kids rooms), but your suggestion is a good one.
Too bad you don't have a friend that has a stove that could stop by and opine about how much they love the Heat from their insert

Reactions: bigealta
@Garbanzo62 She used to have one in her childhood home. Granted it was a stove not an insert. I have 3 co workers that also have stoves. To catch you up they stopped using it because she had some asthma issues aggravated by the stove. So she is basing her experience on an older stove vs an air tight EPA stove.

Last edited:
Anyone ever tell you that you should be a therapist? I probably would have never figured out to word it like that. I suck at that stuff big time. How you worded it was perfect
You give her back the power she feels she needs, you acknowledge you made a promise and will stand by it, You are not caving but showing you have the Grit to put you own desires aside to live up to your commitment. You take the high road and face the problem like a Man. She knows this is very tough for you and even if she doesn't show it, she will gain much respect.

Long game Dude.

Anyone ever tell you that you should be a therapist? I probably would have never figured out to word it like that. I suck at that stuff big time. How you worded it was perfect
He really is pretty good isn't he?

Reactions: weee123
She’s cranking now. Big load of oak and black cherry

View attachment 322910 View attachment 322911
Beautiful. My stove likes to be 700-750 STT too and ours are basically the same unit. It's just a very easy breather. If you use IR you'll find it's slightly hotter just behind where your magnet is but probably only 5-10%.

What's the air on there?

Beautiful. My stove likes to be 700-750 STT too and ours are basically the same unit. It's just a very easy breather. If you use IR you'll find it's slightly hotter just behind where your magnet is but probably only 5-10%.

What's the air on there?
That’s all the way down. For a 13 foot chimney it drafts very well. I’m sure it makes difference it’s insulated. I never have any smoke rollout, even with the door wide open on a cold start. Helps that the wood is very dry too

You give her back the power she feels she needs, you acknowledge you made a promise and will stand by it, You are not caving but showing you have the Grit to put you own desires aside to live up to your commitment. You take the high road and face the problem like a Man. She knows this is very tough for you and even if she doesn't show it, she will gain much respect.

Long game Dude.
I can process that and I knew getting into this I’d have to play the long game and concede control. But implementing it is a different story, as patience is a HUGE issue

That’s all the way down. For a 13 foot chimney it drafts very well. I’m sure it makes difference it’s insulated. I never have any smoke rollout, even with the door wide open on a cold start
Yeah that's actually amazing for only 13' and turned all the way down. I very rarely need to close mine all the way and I'm on 24'. Only if it's running away. It runs best at 90% closed. I bet the newer models are even more easy breathing than my 2019 to get under EPA emissions rules. Mine is 4.4 gm/hr I suspect yours is around 1.8.

My neighbor growing up died from liver failure from taking Tylenol and drinking frequently. She was in her 40's
You beat me to it, but it's exceedingly rare I will ever take any pain killer. It would interfere with my drinking. ;lol

• Haha
Reactions: weee123
Yeah that's actually amazing for only 13' and turned all the way down. I very rarely need to close mine all the way and I'm on 24'. Only if it's running away. It runs best at 90% closed. I bet the newer models are even more easy breathing than my 2019 to get under EPA emissions rules. Mine is 4.4 gm/hr I suspect yours is around 1.8.

I know it’s less than 2.5 but I’d have to double check. It helps being on a hill and the top of the chimney is over 3 feet higher than the ridge line of the roof. Once the secondaries light off the rest goes like I threw gas on it

I can't imagine trying to run these things with draft problems. I always feel for the folks posting about their draft issues. It has to be such a royal pain in the ass. It's so easy when it's hooked up to a hoover.

Closed all the way, That is crazy for 13'. But it's difficult to tell how hard it's burning from pics. Wondering if maybe a bit of air is sneaking in from somewhere?
I can almost never run fully closed. I'm at about 16' or so center of house chimney.

I can't imagine trying to run these things with draft problems. I always feel for the folks posting about their draft issues. It has to be such a royal pain in the ass. It's so easy when it's hooked up to a hoover.
You got that right. Once the secondaries get really going the rest of it goes like threw gas on it.

Well, I asked “permission” to light the stove before she left for work so stove would be warm when they all got home from school/work and we could enjoy the fire as a family tonight. I got a reluctant “do what you want”. Probably shouldn’t have reading between the lines but oh well. It’s snowing and 30 degrees out perfect day for one. Supposed to be pretty cold here for the next week too.
As a social experiment, I'm letting our office go cold, right now. It's down to 77F whereas it more often runs in the 80's. It feels cold, because our stone walls are constantly radiating 53F.

The experiment is how long it will take my wife to tell me it's "freezing" in here, and ask me why I haven't loaded the stove yet. She works at a desk on a wall adjacent to mine.

Kids are home from school today, so their suffering is collateral damage. ;lol

Closed all the way, That is crazy for 13'. But it's difficult to tell how hard it's burning from pics. Wondering if maybe a bit of air is sneaking in from somewhere?
I can almost never run fully closed. I'm at about 16' or so center of house chimney.
Not sure where if it was. Door is sealed nice and tight. It makes a visible difference in activity when I move the air control
In and out especially in the beginning and when it’s coaling. Only place possible maybe is where this cut out is for fresh air intake.
In theory air control should block that. Wood is also very dry it’s 3+ years seasoned
IMG_0053.jpeg

Not sure where if it was. Door is sealed nice and tight. It makes a visible difference in activity when I move the air control
In and out especially in the beginning and when it’s coaling. Only place possible maybe is where this cut out is for fresh air intake.
In theory air control should block that. Wood is also very dry it’s 3+ years seasoned
View attachment 322931
I had issues with my glass seal the first year, that may be something worth checking. I had to take it out and redo it then I gained much more control. Can test with a match while the stove is on and see if anywhere on the door is allowing air in. Could also just be your chimney kicking ass but at 13' I think you should really be able to shut it all the way down and have it largely put itself out. Mine will only stay running fully shut down if STT is 750+ and it'll correct itself over 5-10 min if so and come back down to earth.

I had issues with my glass seal the first year, that may be something worth checking. I had to take it out and redo it then I gained much more control. Can test with a match while the stove is on and see if anywhere on the door is allowing air in. Could also just be your chimney kicking ass but at 13' I think you should really be able to shut it all the way down and have it largely put itself out. Mine will only stay running fully shut down if STT is 750+ and it'll correct itself over 5-10 min if so and come back down to earth.
Only place I get any slightly activity with a lighter around the door and glass is around the threads for the door handle. But it’s so minor I would call it a “metered” leak

I suspect it's just the newer model stoves. "Fully closed" for you is probably more open than it is for my older model. Even though it's only 4 years apart the EPA rules changed so they made design adjustments accordingly. If you can't turn it down as far you can't get as many emissions.

Kind of lame to be honest. I like having the ability to really damper it down if it starts to run away. If you're burns like that fully closed imagine if you had my 24' chimney and stuffed to totally full of bone dry maple. It would be an inferno.

I suspect it's just the newer model stoves. "Fully closed" for you is probably more open than it is for my older model. Even though it's only 4 years apart the EPA rules changed so they made design adjustments accordingly. If you can't turn it down as far you can't get as many emissions.
Right. Only tough thing is burn time. I got about 3-3.5 hours out of that load from burning to coals. Granted unit is still throwing plenty of heat. I don’t know if it’s because my draft is so strong, and the wood being ultra dry or combination of things not getting super long long burn times out of it. My splits are on the fairly smaller side too I’m sure that doesn’t help.