Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looking good. So at this point if you are after more heat you can open the air wide open and start aggressively burning down the coals for a faster reload. Can even start throwing thin splits or bark on to speed up the process and sneak out more BTUs. If you're happy with the temps just let it ride. That will coal nicely like that for a long time still giving off some BTUs.

Looking good. So at this point if you are after more heat you can open the air wide open and start aggressively burning down the coals for a faster reload. Can even start throwing thin splits or bark on to speed up the process and sneak out more BTUs. If you're happy with the temps just let it ride. That will coal nicely like that for a long time still giving off some BTUs.
That’s what I do every time once there is no more flame. Open the air right up and like you said burns them down nice. I’ll let it continue as is for now stove still 600 degrees and still got some slow rolling flame.

I was considering bypassing the temperature sensor to get full fan operation all the time. It shuts off when the stove temp is around 350 degrees

Yep. Just a matter of what you need at that time.

If you're home during a cold snap it's often easy to keep feeding it a lot or two here or there to keep temps up. You do run into coal issues but they can be easily overcome with some bark and scraps. That's what my wife is doing at home now. The stoves run best when you let them full cycle and full reload but sometimes you really want/need to push it. Probably not the case for you but I figure it's worth knowing.

Yep. Just a matter of what you need at that time.

If you're home during a cold snap it's often easy to keep feeding it a lot or two here or there to keep temps up. You do run into coal issues but they can be easily overcome with some bark and scraps. That's what my wife is doing at home now. The stoves run best when you let them full cycle and full reload but sometimes you really want/need to push it. Probably not the case for you but I figure it's worth knowing.
I've been running mine like that for the last 2 days because of the cold. It really does make a lot of coals. I'm used to letting it burn down most of the time but when it's in the teens you got to pump it up.

Bark is your friend! Or crappy junk pieces of softer wood etc.
And i thought that was shoulder season stuff. I burned most of that last month but I'll go look around for some more. Either way i do have small oak splits that should be good too.

Oak bark has some real BTU value when burning down coals. Like 2-3 pieces will bump my STT from 400 to 650. Every little bit helps when it's really cold out. Easy way to get rid of it too. The downside is you have to store it but I don't have space issues so I keep everything.

Yeah i do get some oak bark, mostly when its falling off splits when i'm loading them into the "on the way to burn" wheelbarrow.

Reloaded after about it 4 hours. It would have still thrown heat for at least another 1-2 hours based on what was left when I reloaded. Threw a few pieces of oak on and then it’s done for the day 🙁

Reloaded after about it 4 hours. It would have still thrown heat for at least another 1-2 hours based on what was left when I reloaded. Threw a few pieces of oak on and then it’s done for the day 🙁
You're gaining ground.
Good that it's during a cold snap. Now, like you posted earlier, don't ask her to light a fire. Let the stove sit cold.
Let her miss it's warmth enough to complain it's not running.
At that point, you'll want a brick wall to bang your head on.

Reactions: bigealta
You're gaining ground.
Good that it's during a cold snap. Now, like you posted earlier, don't ask her to light a fire. Let the stove sit cold.
Let her miss it's warmth enough to complain it's not running.
At that point, you'll want a brick wall to bang your head on.

Gaining ground how? Lol.

I’ll admit that since I’ve been using this stove especially this week during a cold snap, it’s extremely difficult not to ask to light it. The heat as some members previously stated it’s VERY addicting. To the point I’m ready to turn the thermostats up and pay 300$+ per month to heat the house.

It takes everything I got to keep my mouth shut about the stove.

I’m hopeful that time will come, but I’m skeptical at best. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just realistic

Reactions: all night moe
Get yourself a battery heated shirt. Just for yourself. Wear it under a sweat shirt or something bulky so no one sees it. Then freeze the house. If they ask for a fire, Stall. Maybe start cleaning out ashes, get your flashlight out and look around the inside out. "I think i dropped something around here, maybe its in the ashes. Then oh i got to get some wood, Oh i dont have matches or kindling. Then go chill outside by the woodpile, maybe split some wood. Whatever..... Freeze em out, And make sure you disconnected the thermostat

Oh crap none of these crappy generators will start. carbs must be clogged from bad gas.

So how's it go when she got home and after dinner etc? Was she happy with the warmth?

Also what did you think of the reloading?

Talk to me Goose!

Get yourself a battery heated shirt. Just for yourself. Wear it under a sweat shirt or something bulky so no one sees it. Then freeze the house. If they ask for a fire, Stall. Maybe start cleaning out ashes, get your flashlight out and look around the inside out. "I think i dropped something around here, maybe its in the ashes. Then oh i got to get some wood, Oh i dont have matches or kindling. Then go chill outside by the woodpile, maybe split some wood. Whatever..... Freeze em out, And make sure you disconnected the thermostat

Oh crap none of these crappy generators will start. carbs must be clogged from bad gas.

It would be my fault the generators didn’t start. Why I didn’t treat the gas properly etc. then if I couldn’t fix it she’d call her father to come “look at it” (the boiler). He used to work for the gas company years ago so he knows his way around transformers, boilers, circulator pumps and furnaces. I’d have to get really creative. Like say the heat exchanger on the boiler is leaking and dump water in the perfect spot. Or disconnect wire inside the conduit for the gas valve or burner control. Or even disconnect the gas line and stick some putty in it to block gas flow. Believe me I’ve considered it all!

Just to prove a point she would use the stove as an absolute last resort. She’d almost guaranteed use the heat pump if the boiler didn’t work. No matter how I decided to sabatoge the boiler

I have a battery heated Milwaukee jacket that I love. Got it for free from my brother in law but I'd happily have bought one after using it a while. They are only $200 or so. Keeps me warm and doesn't get in my way when I'm outside working.

So how's it go when she got home and after dinner etc? Was she happy with the warmth?

Also what did you think of the reloading?

Talk to me Goose!
She didn’t complain. Although my son said he was hot but he was running around the house in a sweatshirt and long pants and playing in front of the stove so 🤷🏻‍♂️ and then she said yes it is hot. Otherwise no words of complaint or approval.

In all honesty about the loading I might have gotten a tiny bit longer burn time but not overwhelming amount. I’ll still pack it tight on first reload

I got one for my wife who's always cold and who's favorite thing in the world is her heated car seats. She loved it christmas day and wore it the entire day. She has not worn it since. WTF?

She didn’t complain. Although my son said he was hot but he was running around the house in a sweatshirt and long pants and playing in front of the stove so 🤷🏻‍♂️ and then she said yes it is hot. Otherwise no words of complaint or approval.

In all honesty about the loading I might have gotten a tiny bit longer burn time but not overwhelming amount. I’ll still pack it tight on first reload
You were aggressively de-coaling though. If you didn't do that and let it cycle naturally you'd see longer burns. I think you'll also get more aggressive with the tetris-ing too.

No complaints is a W. We take those.

You were aggressively de-coaling though. If you didn't do that and let it cycle naturally you'd see longer burns. I think you'll also get more aggressive with the tetris-ing too.

I’m determined to have very little air space left next time!!

Just want to reiterate , your suggestion did work well. I would have gotten 5+ hours of good heat out of it without reloading. Probably 45 minutes + longer than what I was doing before.

Note: Feels like 8 degrees outside and still 70 in the kitchen. 🥹

Reactions: all night moe
Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Awfully cold out here.....

Free warmth might be nice............

😬

Ha. I wish. At work today so definitely going to be a cold stove, until at least tomorrow, if not Saturday.

Womp Womp. I worked Sat-Wed so the next few days it's full throttle burning. Just threw in 4 splits of box elder for a quick burst of heat and to burn down coals. It's so cold out I've barely been able to budge the thermostat. It's stuck at 65. Pretty normal for 15 or below cloudy days though. Ill have it up to 67-68 in a few hours.

Womp Womp. I worked Sat-Wed so the next few days it's full throttle burning. Just threw in 4 splits of box elder for a quick burst of heat and to burn down coals. It's so cold out I've barely been able to budge the thermostat. It's stuck at 65. Pretty normal for 15 or below cloudy days though. I’ll have it up to 67-68 in a few hours.
Running it yesterday I had 2 bedrooms at 66-67, one at 70, kitchen 72, and probably 75+ in stove room, all with no fans going. Thermostat didn’t kick on until 1 am for kitchen (next to stove room) and I last time I loaded the stove was about 545 right after dinner with only a few pieces of oak

Last edited: