Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I also don't need to take unnecessary risks. Going with an 85cc saw and crazy chains just to cut some firewood in my driveway seems very Tim Taylor to me. Awesome, lots of fun, but unnecessarily risky. I totally appreciate it putting a smile on your face and I'm not here saying it's a bad idea for you. I used to get feeling that from unnecessarily fast cars when I was younger lol. For me though these days I'll stick with my weenie semi chisel chains and small to medium saws.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

I agree, and I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with that. My only point of contention was the assertion that it pulls a 20" bar just fine. You need to make some concessions (such as smaller chain), if you want to run a 20" bar on a 50cc saw.

In any case, I guess we're beating a dead horse, at this point. Run what you brung!
All good man. I respect your saw game!

I bring some serious small chain energy to the woodyard. Lol.

Reactions: Ashful
I also don't need to take unnecessary risks. Going with an 85cc saw and crazy chains just to cut some firewood in my driveway seems very Tim Taylor to me. Awesome, lots of fun, but unnecessarily risky. I totally appreciate it putting a smile on your face and I'm not here saying it's a bad idea for you. I used to get feeling that from unnecessarily fast cars when I was younger lol. For me though these days I'll stick with my weenie semi chisel chains and small to medium saws.

View attachment 322676
souped up…you know, for more POWER! ::-)

Doesn't anything fun include unnecessary risk? Drag racing? Downhill skiing? BMX?

If I get hurt or killed while running a chainsaw, it'll almost surely be something falling onto me from above, and completely unrelated to the size of the saw in my hands at the moment.

Doesn't anything fun include unnecessary risk? Drag racing? Downhill skiing? BMX?

If I get hurt or killed while running a chainsaw, it'll almost surely be something falling onto me from above, and completely unrelated to the size of the saw in my hands at the moment.
I do want to go cut with Ashful sometime.

I used to feel that way until I destroyed my shoulder skiing 2 years ago. You may remember, I shared the whole ordeal here. It completely killed my desire to push the envelope with anything. Sad but true.

I used to do it all. Trees, jumps, bumps, speed. I just loved going fast. Nowadays I'm just trying to work up the courage to get back on the slopes with my kids. It would be easier to overcome if I had gotten hurt by doing something stupid, which frankly I'm shocked I never did, but it wasn't that. It was just a freak accident. I'm not there yet.

I'll happy watch you in light saber mode though. It does sound fun!

Last edited:
I used to feel that way until I destroyed my shoulder skiing 2 years ago. You may remember, I shared the whole ordeal here. It completely killed my desire to push the envelope with anything. Sad but true.

I used to do it all. Trees, jumps, bumps, speed. I just loved going fast. Nowadays I'm just trying to work up the courage to get back on the slopes with my kids. It would be easier to overcome if I had gotten hurt by doing something stupid, which frankly I'm shocked I never did, but it wasn't that. It was just a freak accident. I'm not there yet.

One of my biggest concerns. Surviving an ordeal with yet another injury.

I totally understand. Turning 50 in a few months, and getting regular "midlife crisis" jokes from my wife, for several years now. I'm still a horsepower junkie when I'm awake, I just nap more than I did at 25. ;lol

Reactions: all night moe
I totally understand. Turning 50 in a few months, and getting regular "midlife crisis" jokes from my wife, for several years now. I'm still a horsepower junkie when I'm awake, I just nap more than I did at 25. ;lol
I'll be 40 in a few months myself. I don't feel mid-lifey yet. Still young! Just takes a little longer to recover from going hard at anything than it did at 30 lol.

I'll be 40 in a few months myself. I don't feel mid-lifey yet. Still young! Just takes a little longer to recover from going hard at anything than it did at 30 lol.
I'd say it gets worse each decade, but then the older guys on this forum will tell me to quit whining.

• Haha
I try to limit my age related whining. This isn't the right audience. 🤣
Yeah u definitely have to not whine. Take it like a young man.

I play paddle with my buddy who is late 60's. He runs around that court like a 25 year old and is still a wild man. That's the goal for me.

I worked yesterday.

At 38 i definitely feel it if I push my self too much compared to say 8-10 years ago. I’ll be popping 6-800 of Advil if I do too much! Like lately haha. My job is physically demanding also so it doesn’t help.

Also dealing with some stuff on the home front so another reason I haven’t been as active today. Let’s just say I won’t be “heating” the house with wood unless I get divorced and keep the house, or some act of god and hell freezes over and my wife changes her tune on things.

Last edited:
Don't slow down until you hit 75, and ignore the haggard look of the guy in the mirror, until then. That's my plan, anyway.

Need some motivation? Count the number of really good summers you have left, when you can still surf, water ski, mountain bike, or race insanely fast sailboats. That'll get you moving.

38 is too young to be worrying about aches and pains. You're just dipping your toe in the water!

Don't slow down until you hit 75, and ignore the haggard look of the guy in the mirror, until then. That's my plan, anyway.

Need some motivation? Count the number of really good summers you have left, when you can still surf, water ski, mountain bike, or race insanely fast sailboats. That'll get you moving.

38 is too young to be worrying about aches and pains. You're just dipping your toe in the water!
Turning wrenches for heavy truck and diesel for nearly 20 years will age your body quickly.

Yeah, my BIL is a heavy equipment mechanic, and coming up on 60 soon. He’s in better shape than me, but he has his aches and pains, for sure. He works on semi tractors and tri-axle dump trucks, mostly undercarriage stuff, where nothing is light.

I sit at a desk all day, so every chance to go outside and abuse my body is a treat, not a chore.