Porcelain Jotul with mold spots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Campy

Dec 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi new member not new to wood stoves. I have 2 Jotul 12's one I bought new in 1996 and finally found a second one. I have torn it down and rebuilt it but, it sat and had dust on it then mold. They are both blue/black porcelain. I have cleaned it with everything I can think of but it has light spots were the mold was. I seems like the mold took the color out in spots that just stay a lighter color. Not bad in the dark but really show up in the bright sun. The second one was free but was very abused. I love my model 12 firelights and haven't found a stove that compares to it. They ran the second stove with broke glass with an aluminum patch in the hole which melted. It burned out the cat chamber sagged the grate down 2 inches. Numerous inside parts warped and damaged. It is now up and running and heating the basement. Now if I can find another one for my son so he quits coveting mine.

Hey Campy - The blue-black enamel is not a porcelain finish. Jotul's usually come in 3 types of finish:
1. Painted Cast Iron, 2. Blue-Black Enamel, and 3. other "enamels" that are a 2 part porcelain finish. The stove first gets a coat of a white porcelain and then a second coat of the color porcelain. The Blue-Black enamel is sort of an "epoxy-like" finish. It is not brittle like the porcelain - it's a totally different finish even though they call them all "enamel".

All that being said, I'd check in with your Jotul dealer on how to deal with the discoloration on your stoves from the mold. I have an Oslo in Blue-Black and I got a tiny amount of anti-seize on the top and I wiped it off immediately, but it looks just a tiny bit "dull" in that spot. I'd be careful trying a bunch of different cleaners on that finish without talking to Jotul first. Each year after we are done burning for the season, we wipe the stove down with a damp microfiber cloth to remove an dirt or dust. We don't use a cleaner, just water and the cloth.