new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not...if it was, this thread wouldn't have so many people reading along just out of shock, because they have never heard of a disappointed Kuuma owner before.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I've personally only ever heard of 2 people that had big ole drafty houses and had to sell their Kuuma...one installed a OWB, the other sold his to me, and went back to gas as far as I know.
But this house sure seems like it should be within the realm of the VF100 to heat...just need to figure out where things are wrong...
Maybe I didn't give it long enough to heat up I can take more temps later in the day? Could it be my leaky basement cooling it off the whole time?

Reactions: brenndatomu
This is great data. Is there any way to get the return air temps a bit higher.

Hmm...that plenum temp is low...but then again the return air temp is probably low too...was that blower on high or low?

I wasn't seeing much more than that with the stock setup when the blower was on high.

It's been almost 3 hours after I loaded it now 113

Wonder what led to this plenum temp? This is very good for high and higher than I was seeing back before my return air/slow blower tweaks.

Although, without knowing the return air temp it's hard to gauge. My return air temp used to always be right around 65°.

Last edited:
Although, without knowing the return air temp it's hard to gauge. My return air temp used to always be right around 65°.
Yes, that is a very nice chart Gary made...very informative...just need 2 more columns, blower speed, and return air temp.
This is how you get to the bottom of a problem...methodically.

I wasn't seeing much more than that with the stock setup when the blower was on high.

Wonder what led to this plenum temp? This is very good for high and higher than I was seeing back with everything stock.

I had the computer on max that time it was only on mid this time around I found run on max doesnt change much but burns wood up

well if running on max gives you 110°+ plenum temps and medium gives you 101° plenum temps.....that's a big difference...?

Could it be my leaky basement cooling it off the whole time?

you could very well be taking the air leaking into the house and trying to heat this instead of the cumulative effect of heating strictly inside air.

not that Ive seen in the house... Do you want me to make a new chart on high this time?

sure, more data points the better, just make sure the data is correct. LOL Your plenum temps will vary based on where you are in the burn, so try to take all measurements at the same time so we can directly relate return air temp to plenum temp to register temps.

Reactions: Case1030
sure, more data points the better, just make sure the data is correct. LOL Your plenum temps will vary based on where you are in the burn, so try to take all measurements at the same time so we can directly relate return air temp to plenum temp to register temps.
Ive been trying to hit it at 2 hours because @brenndatomu said thats when his is the hottest... I'll do my best to make sure its correct

Reactions: SpaceBus
Hopefully we can get it working correctly

Everything I have seen indicates the furnace itself is working correctly, just need to try to get the warm air to stay in the house and get it to accumulate. There is a point where things will start to roll and your house temp will increase, which will lead to return air increasing, which leads to warmer supply temps, which leads to even warmer house temps, which leads to even warmer return air....etc This is the accumulative/snowball effect you are shooting for. Right now it appears you are not at that "over the hump" point. Until you can get your return air to increase in temp as time goes on, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Last edited:
You are doing good work. Seriously, more than half the folks that come on here balk at trying to improve their setups.

I also find it commendable that you wanted to go with a more efficient and clean burning unit rather than pump smoke into the air we all breathe.
Agreed!

Reactions: TCaldwell
Everything I have seen indicates the furnace itself is working correctly, just need to try to get the warm air to stay in the house and get it to accumulate. There is a point where things will start to roll and your house temp will increase, which will lead to return air increasing, which leads to warmer supply temps, which leads to even warmer return air....etc This is the accumulative effect you are shooting for. Right now it appears you are not at that "over the hump" point. Until you can get your return air to increase in temp as time goes on, it's going to be an uphill battle.
ok

I guess I should have said my peak plenum temps occur at 2, sometimes 3 hours... depending on the load...I would think with a full firebox that 2 hours would do it...
@JRHAWK9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.