new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what is going on then? Its the same setup (minus the chimmny) the old one used...

I would start by ruling out the obvious. Try cutting up 3 or 4 pallets and burning them to verify wood quality. These newer furnace/boilers have ZERO tolerance for anything other than perfect wood.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would start by ruling out the obvious. Try cutting up 3 or 4 pallets and burning them to verify wood quality. These newer furnace/boilers have ZERO tolerance for anything other than perfect wood.
I'm geting super long runs on small c. I was told even with one wet split you won't get long runs on c. I'm going to try something the company recommend first. I just got off the phone with them. They are very helpful, I can testify to that.

I've only ever personally heard of 2 people "giving up on them"...and they both openly admitted that they had big ole leaky houses and just didnt do their homework on what it was gonna take BTU wise to heat the place...the one went to a OWB then, the other back to gas (I think)
oh I didn't know it was that few

I don't think you guys really understand where I live. Haha My town is made up of maybe 1000 people and thats probably on the high side. It's really nice living out here though. Well sometimes...
I live in a place like this.

I've done this and it works well with my little thermal camera. Just do a poor mans test. Grab a few box fans (if you got them) and place them in the window on high sucking out the house air. Then grab the camera and go around the house. The colder outside the better, but it works well. I've done it in single rooms too that I was buttoning up. When a blower door test is done, they simulate a 20 mph wind on the home. Anything you can do to pressurize the home will work. Hell I'm heating 2500 sqft plus 1200 sqft basement with 10' ceilings and 42 windows in a 150+ year old victorian. It's currently 23 out and my fire has been ashed over for a couple of hours now (cool enough to remove the tubes and clean the furnace) and it's still 71 in the house. Get those leaks found and sealed.

This is an old picture but it gives you an idea what we are heating.
new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

Reactions: brenndatomu
I've done this and it works well with my little thermal camera. Just do a poor mans test. Grab a few box fans (if you got them) and place them in the window on high sucking out the house air. Then grab the camera and go around the house. The colder outside the better, but it works well. I've done it in single rooms too that I was buttoning up. When a blower door test is done, they simulate a 20 mph wind on the home. Anything you can do to pressurize the home will work. Hell I'm heating 2500 sqft plus 1200 sqft basement with 10' ceilings and 42 windows in a 150+ year old victorian. It's currently 23 out and my fire has been ashed over for a couple of hours now (cool enough to remove the tubes and clean the furnace) and it's still 71 in the house. Get those leaks found and sealed.
Ill try it if this doesnt work out... I dont got much to lose at this point...

Ill try it if this doesnt work out... I dont got much to lose at this point...
Don't give up! When we bought this house from my parents, my dad bragged about how easy it was to heat it cause it was "well insulated." Honestly when we purchased the home I think the heat loss was easily well over 120,000 btus an hour at zero degrees. The old woodfurnace just covered it up. We froze out asses off all of the time no matter how warm the thermostat read. At one point the house was so bad that 2-150,000 btu oils furnaces heated it (one up and down). Now I think we are around 70,000 btus at zero, or less. I want to spray foam the perimeter in the basement and I think that will take us towards the end of improvements. I also need to remove all old caulking around the windows and replace when I repaint.

Reactions: sloeffle
Unfortunately people judge a book by it's cover. When they see a nice house they automatically think it's tight, well built or efficient. None the less, sometimes it's the icesicles hanging off the gutters, snow missing from the roof and high heating bills that say otherwise. Over the years I've became OCD with energy and comfort. Like it's been mentioned, when things are buttoned up not only will you save in wood usage, but in comfort and cooling in the summertime. Many times people don't understand when it comes to home improvements the important steps to ensure a comfortable home. Something that only takes a few dollars up front will save thousands over the life of the home. I've went though a few homes with my camera and found some very troubling spots that were eating them alive in energy. I also knew a few people with 1500 sq ft homes with their gas bill hitting 600 a month.

Unfortunately people judge a book by it's cover. When they see a nice house they automatically think it's tight, well built or efficient.
Oh trust me this house was not nice when I got it. That picture is after many changes over the last 6 years.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thats never been a problem I like it warm even in the summer I only run one window ac

There ya go, that's your answer....move to Florida. ;lol

The wood is not dry, tons of cold air infiltration, or the house is hemorrhaging hot air.

I also knew a few people with 1500 sq ft homes with their gas bill hitting 600 a month.
I dont like the heat from other fuels, I like the constant heat that wood makes possible. Idk what it would cost to heat this house in gas (I'm sure it would be a lot) I never used anything else but wood. This is first year Ive had to use the electric. The bill was only 30 higher but I let most of the house get and stay cold. Only the bedrooms when they were occupied.

Reactions: laynes69
Heating that with a Caddy...impressive! You have most definitely fine tuned the air sealing and insulation in that palace!
I know! Last year I ran the furnace 2 times for 5 minutes. I just added a second master bath and gutted and redid a den. That alone made a world of difference. Also the blower always on low is working well, and when the plenum hits around 140 then its speed 2. I'll find out tomorrow night how it does in the colder weather. I still have alot of sealing to do, but it's getting there.

Don't give up! When we bought this house from my parents, my dad bragged about how easy it was to heat it cause it was "well insulated." Honestly when we purchased the home I think the heat loss was easily well over 120,000 btus an hour at zero degrees. The old woodfurnace just covered it up. We froze out asses off all of the time no matter how warm the thermostat read. At one point the house was so bad that 2-150,000 btu oils furnaces heated it (one up and down). Now I think we are around 70,000 btus at zero, or less. I want to spray foam the perimeter in the basement and I think that will take us towards the end of improvements. I also need to remove all old caulking around the windows and replace when I repaint.

Definitely some impressive results! :)

Reactions: laynes69
Status
Not open for further replies.