new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if you really do have a very high heat load house. Like some have mentioned before, a home energy audit may be of some benefit to you. A blower door test may find some glaring issues which may be simple to fix.
I bet that's where im going to end up. I don't think they will be easy fixes plus its hard to get anyone to come out here and do anything. I live in the deep woods. Lots of people hear where Im at and just say no.

mine would never work in -37 thats another reason why I bought the stove it never gets that cold here. I figured if they work in that im a sure deal but thats not what happen. Do you help it with other heat sources? or is that just the Kumma?

It normally doesn't get that cold here either! -20° is about as cold as we normally see, and even that is not too often. That one stretch of weather was a crazy polar vortex.

I have LP as a backup. It did kick on the very last morning of that cold snap and run for an hour or so. Before that it was all Kuuma. LP thermostat is set to 68°.

1575177569192.png

Here's my record of those days. 6 of the 7 days were 70+ HDD's. LP ran a total of 111 minutes over that span. I remember that 25 minute LP run day as I was pee'd off because there must have been a wet split or two which totally screwed up the loading that night. I remember my plenum temps were lower than they should have been and the computer was spending time on '1' and '2' when it should have been on pilot.

I bet that's where im going to end up. I don't think they will be easy fixes plus its hard to get anyone to come out here and do anything. I live in the deep woods. Lots of people hear where Im at and just say no.

Wait to see if slowing the blower down does something. If it does, try slowing it down more.

Are you -SURE- you are burning well seasoned wood?

I loaded 31# of wood at 8am and the house went from 71* to 75* and I still haven't reloaded...was still 72* in here the last I looked...I think we had about the same weather today.
OK, I lied...I just went down to do the overnight load...this mornings load was 32.9# ;lol
It finally dropped to 71* in here (still 40 out) so I loaded ~25# for the overnight. (for those reading along, that's a pretty small load) There were a few hot coals yet...it would have went on its own, but I try to limit any unnecessary smoke going up the chimney, so I'll just drop a match on those smoldering splits (literally) and they usually light right up...its off to the races after that.
I have better luck dropping an unlit match on coals than a lit match...they often go out when you light up them first, so all you did was to add one tiny half charred split to the pile...but if you drop it in unlit, when the hot coals light it, it flares up big at first and everything else that was already smoking takes right off...try it somtime!

this is what Ive been burning. I have lots more in my pole barn thats what Im burning tonight. I'm hoping this will give me less coals. Thats why I swicthed to the cherry in my pole barn.

Attachments

• new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat
    IMAG0535.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 177
OK, I lied...I just went down to do the overnight load...this mornings load was 32.9# ;lol
It finally dropped to 71* in here (still 40 out) so I loaded ~25# for the overnight. (for those reading along, that's a pretty small load) There were a few hot coals yet...it would have went on its own, but I try to limit any unnecessary smoke going up the chimney, so I'll just drop a match on those smoldering splits (literally) and they usually light right up...its off to the races after that.
I have better luck dropping an unlit match on coals than a lit match...they often go out when you light up them first, so all you did was to add one tiny half charred split to the pile...but if you drop it in unlit, when the hot coals light it, it flares up big at first and everything else that was already smoking takes right off...try it somtime!
I have zero problems with it going out. There just no heat so who cares.

Sounds to me like the ol clayton was a bandaid. I've woke up with temps in the low 20's out.....the fire ashed over with a few coals, the blower not running with a 74 degree home. Prior to all improvements over the years, I couldn't get the house above 68 with our furnace running full bore in those temps. Now, I can take the house to 80 or higher if I wanted to. While insulation made some difference, airsealing made the biggest difference. Seek makes an infrared camera that works with a smart phone. I bought one and they are worth their weight in gold. Any renovations I do, I can confirm everything is sealed and insulated before closing up the walls.

Sounds to me like the ol clayton was a bandaid. I've woke up with temps in the low 20's out.....the fire ashed over with a few coals, the blower not running with a 74 degree home. Prior to all improvements over the years, I couldn't get the house above 68 with our furnace running full bore in those temps. Now, I can take the house to 80 or higher if I wanted to. While insulation made some difference, airsealing made the biggest difference. Seek makes an infrared camera that works with a smart phone. I bought one and they are worth their weight in gold. Any renovations I do, I can confirm everything is sealed and insulated before closing up the walls.
It's 62 now if that's the case it must have been a big band aid. I miss the clayton

It's 62 now if that's the case it must have been a big band aid. I miss the clayton
The way it's sounding the house has to be warm with no fire in this furance? I dont want to spend any more money to help it. I got so much into it now I would be better off buying propane at this point

Last edited:
Been there done that. When I upgraded, I hated the new furnace. Like you I also had to install a liner. I struggled the first year and slowly made improvements to the house. Fast forward....I dont burn a fraction of the wood I used to and we are much more comfortable. I feel for you...its alot to go through.

Been there done that. When I upgraded, I hated the new furnace. Like you I also had to install a liner. I struggled the first year and slowly made improvements to the house. Fast forward....I dont burn a fraction of the wood I used to and we are much more comfortable. I feel for you...its alot to go through.
so the house has to be perfect for it to work?

so the house has to be perfect for it to work?
No not perfect, but matched for the heat load. A woodfurnace shouldn't be any different than purchasing a central furnace. If a house has a heat loss of 100,000 btus at zero degrees and you purchase a 60,000 btu furnace and it can't keep up....is it the furnace that's to blame? What's the size of your central furnace?

No not perfect, but matched for the heat load. A woodfurnace shouldn't be any different than purchasing a central furnace. If a house has a heat loss of 100,000 btus at zero degrees and you purchase a 60,000 btu furnace and it can't keep up....is it the furnace that's to blame? What's the size of your central furnace?
I don't have anything else besides electric baseboard

Our home isn't super tight for it's very old....however just this morning it was around 40 when I woke up....no woodfurnace going and I watched a movie that was an hour and a half long and I didn't drop a degree in the home (73 degrees). With that being said...if you have a good sized woodfurnace (I would consider the Kumma in that category) burning and can't get the house over 68 degrees in 40 degree weather, then your heating the great outdoors. It cannot be the furnace, I don't think it can keep up with the heat load, or it's not ducted right. I've never seen a post with a Kuuma not operating correctly, but I have seen a post or two where they were not large enough for the heating demand of the home. Like I say it's not the furnace's fault if its operating as it should and just isn't sized correctly for the home.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Our home isn't super tight for it's very old....however just this morning it was around 40 when I woke up....no woodfurnace going and I watched a movie that was an hour and a half long and I didn't drop a degree in the home (73 degrees). With that being said...if you have a good sized woodfurnace (I would consider the Kumma in that category) burning and can't get the house over 68 degrees in 40 degree weather, then your heating the great outdoors. It cannot be the furnace, I don't think it can keep up with the heat load, or it's not ducted right. I've never seen a post with a Kuuma not operating correctly, but I have seen a post or two where they were not large enough for the heating demand of the home. Like I say it's not the furnace's fault if its operating as it should and just isn't sized correctly for the home.

Well I'm going to have the switch it back then. I still got the old Clayton in the basement just not hooked up.

If you have a firebox full of coals make sure your primary air vents are clear of coals. As Brenn. has said I also prefer not loading the box full, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 depending on weather conditions and sometimes if I end up with a lot of coals at the end of the the cycle I turn the lower limit switch down to 100 and the blower cycles on more often.

It's 62 now

seriously?! wow.
Just thinking out loud here....
I know you don't have a return air hooked up. Is the furnace in the basement and do you have good cycling of air? Just wondering if, for some reason, you are not getting good internal cold air circulation. Grasping at straws here.

I don't have anything else besides electric baseboard

Do you have any records which show what you've used in electricity during a full heating season....or better yet, over numerous heating seasons so you can average them? Maybe from a previous owner or from your electric company...?? One could take what you've consumed in the past to heat the house and convert it to wood required to produce the same BTU's. Heck, even a couple months worth of heating bills in the dead of winter would work. I believe you did mention you burned 10 cords (?) a winter with the Clayton...? That's a lot of wood for the temps you see in the winter.

This is really mind boggling.

I heated my 2800 sqft home with a old Clayton 1800 for the last 6 year here in northern PA. It always did a very good job keeping the house 75 even on the coldest January nights. The only problem was it went through about 9 cords of wood and dirty the chimney all the time.
Something doesn't add up here...a Clayton 1800, (which is a large furnace) with all its known inefficiencies, would heat the house to 75* on 9 cords in the coldest weather, but the VF100 wont do 69* running hard at 40* outside...it just doesn't add up...I don't get it...scratching my head here...

I don't get it...scratching my head here...

same here :confused:

I would like to see what his delta is....if it's 30-40° that should be -plenty- to heat the house in those temps. Assuming return air temps of no more than 65° (if anything they may be lower than that if the upstairs is 68° at the most) AND good internal return air circulation. He was seeing 100° plenum temps with the blower on HIGH......100-65 = 35° or higher. With the blower on HIGH!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Well I'm going to have the switch it back then. I still got the old Clayton in the basement just not hooked up.
In 40 I had to open the windows with the clayton th
Something doesn't add up here...a Clayton 1800, (which is a large furnace) with all its known inefficiencies, would heat the house to 75* on 9 cords in the coldest weather, but the VF100 wont do 69* running hard at 40* outside...it just doesn't add up...I don't get it...scratching my head here...
It's a fact I use to open the windows in 40 and I only filled the clayton half way

Status
Not open for further replies.