New stove considerations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Twigster

Feb 14, 2020
Burlington WA
Welcome, I grew up in silverdale and live over near Enumclaw now.

My stove burns for 20 hours straight so I only load at night but it is still burning with about a half load when I walk past in the morning. I like the long and low burn with a steady house temperature instead of ever letting the house go cold. 57 would tick off the whole family plus the dog.

Experiment this weekend with smaller fires.
You are burning a BK correct? I think that is the stove I have decided on. Sounds like you get some great burn times?

You are burning a BK correct? I think that is the stove I have decided on. Sounds like you get some great burn times?

yes, I have been burning a princess long enough to wear out three cats. Since 2012.

with our lower btu hardwoods and softwoods I get a solid 20-24 hour burn time per load. I only reload once per day unless we are in a cold snap (about a week per year) .

With the very dry Doug fir I’m getting from my new woodshed and since I split larger now, I get 20 hour burns from about 2/3 full firebox unless we get a cold snap and I need to crank it higher. Doug fir works really well in this stove.

Long burn times are very important when heating a home full time. Nothing comes close to matching the bk line on this. Woodstock stoves come close if you want some other options.

I know it should be obvious but you need to run the stove on low to get the longest burn times. That’s plenty of heat for me but if your home needs more heat and you choose to run the bk hotter then your burn times will be reduced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twigster
yes, I have been burning a princess long enough to wear out three cats. Since 2012.

with our lower btu hardwoods and softwoods I get a solid 20-24 hour burn time per load. I only reload once per day unless we are in a cold snap (about a week per year) .

With the very dry Doug fir I’m getting from my new woodshed and since I split larger now, I get 20 hour burns from about 2/3 full firebox unless we get a cold snap and I need to crank it higher. Doug fir works really well in this stove.

Long burn times are very important when heating a home full time. Nothing comes close to matching the bk line on this. Woodstock stoves come close if you want some other options,
I really like the looks of the Ashford and Woodstock Ideal Hybrid stove. I ha e had soapstone years ago and love it. Just seems the control of the BK and long burn times is what I’m after. I have a foam insulated house and very tight.

Reactions: Highbeam