New to wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some good answers on here already. Yes, you are correct, you need to burn it hot. Small fires will not work, except that you can burn a small amount of wood hot and let the fire die out. You will have pretty wild temperature swings doing it that way berceuse you have light (350 lb.) stove that will heat up quickly and cool off quickly. You might need to crack a window to keep the temperature comfortable on mild days, but that's not the worst thing in the world. The worst thing is NOT burning the stove hot and clogging your chimney up in two weeks or having a chimney fire.

You could probably keep your 850 sq. ft. house comfortable through the winter with 30,000 BTUs, so most wood stoves will be too much, unless your 1930s house is a lot draftier than my 1930s house. The data on the tractor supply website is fairly suspect, but it says the stove can run 40k - 60k BTUs, so maybe it's not as bad as you think. Ignore the sq. ft. numbers. A fairer estimate is 3-4 BTUs per cubic ft for primary heat for this part of the country.
You think the ad is really selling the stove up? So you think the stove will be fine? The only other stove they had was one made by US Stove Co that was only 950 sq ft but like I said my dad said overkill is better than it not heating properly.

It's hard to beat that price for a 2 cu ft stove. Unfortunately, there is no manual or EPA testing showing on their website. This is disconcerting because there is an implication that it may qualify for the tax credit. We saw this last year with their Cleveland Ironworks - Master Forge label which this may be a copy of. (This year selling as the Ontario and Huron).

Do you know where the stove is imported from?

It’s pretty clear on the TSC page that it does qualify in the bulleted points.

It’s an interesting mostly square firebox.

34BE71F7-FC76-4E85-934E-532C7F0E50B2.png

It’s pretty clear on the TSC page that it does qualify in the bulleted points.
Have you been able to find the certificate for the IRS? This was the same claim last year when sold under the Master Forge brand at Home Depot. There was a long thread on the topic and it turned out that the qualifying stoves were their pellet stoves. Not sure if anything has changed here but the branding. I don't see new testing on the EPA website. The stove's HHV is in the low 70s.

I could be wrong, but there seems to be something shady about this.

Reactions: Ashful
No, but its hard to be confused by their wording. Whether true or not, they are making that claim.

No, but its hard to be confused by their wording. Whether true or not, they are making that claim.
I haven't looked at this, as I've never had an opportunity to make a tax credit claim for a heating appliance, but I assume there's some standard of proof required, and outlined in the tax code? I wouldn't be surprised if a copy of a manufacturer's certificate is that required proof, not some printout from a reseller's web site listing.

Yes, there is supposed to be a legitimate certificate issued by the stove company if it qualifies. For example:
Previous discussion

This stove is cheap enough that it really doesn't need to wave the tax credit lie. It's seriously disingenuous marketing.

From the website:

2023-2032 IRS TAX CREDIT​

A pellet stove purchase qualifies you for a renewable energy tax incentive credit as outlined under Section 25(d) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Summary of Tax Credit​

Effective Dates: January 1, 2023 (for qualifying purchases and installations completed on or after that date) through December 31, 2032.
Credit Amount: 30% (percent) of the purchase and installation costs (with no cap or lifetime limit) for tax years 2023-2032.
Qualifying Products: Products (any biomass-fueled heater) must be at least 75% (percent) efficient.

The stove did come with the tax credit certificate.
Could you post a picture of it?

Do y’all think the stove is fine? Will it do what I need it to do?
As long as the stove is properly installed and run it should be fine. It's plenty big enough for heating 850 sq ft. You may find yourself running partial, 4 split loads in milder weather. Just be sure that the wood is fully seasoned.

Could you post a picture of it?

As long as the stove is properly installed and run it should be fine. It's plenty big enough for heating 850 sq ft. You may find yourself running partial, 4 split loads in milder weather. Just be sure that the wood is fully seasoned.
What do you mean by partial 4 splits loads?

What do you mean by partial 4 splits loads?
Instead of loading the stove full to the brim only put 4 small splits in the firebox so it doesn’t heat you out of the house

IMO too big is almost 100% better than too small. We have a around a 1200sqft house bought a stove the the manufacture specs for 2000sqft. Glad we did. Our house is poorly insulated and last winter we had a week of 70mph winds and -5f temps. It kept up but if we would have went smaller we would have been cold. You can always add less wood but you cant increase the sqft of your stove.

Reactions: EbS-P