Help me choose a new stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sunil6784

Sep 24, 2023
Boston, ma
Hi all,

Been learning a lot over the years from you all.. I appreciate the vast knowledge on these forums.

I am looking to replace my 12 yeae old VC Montpelier stove. The current stove has a number of broken panels..to replace the panels is close to 900 dollars. Plus, I've never really been able to get the 10 hour burn I need to keep it easily going during the work week.

I am strongly considering the Blaze King Ashford 25. I understand the cat stoves, and the BK specifically, should easily be able to reach those burn times at lower temps.

My house is approximately 3000 sq feet, just outside of Boston, buit in 1998. Most of that square footage is on the first floor of a custom cape. The insert would be going in the middle of the house, in a family room with center fireplace and cathedral ceilings. The family room/stove room is open to the kitchen, dining room, sitting room. A master bedroom is adjacent to the stove room, with a door. Family room is open to upstairs, with doors to bedrooms.

I'm not expecting the insert to heat the whole house (though I would love that). With the current VC Montpelier, the ends of the house were cold. I see that the VC Montpelier lists 2300 sq ft max, and the BK Ashford says 1600 sq ft. Not sure if that is accurate, and I'm trying to balance burn time with heat output. To get the most out of any stove with my schedule, I need to get 10 hour burn times (not necessarily the 20 hour times of the BKs).

Firebox opening is quite large..40 inches wide, 29 inches high, and 21 to 24 inches deep (hard to read handwriting from stove cleaner).

I don't really have the room for a stove to stick far out into the room, would need flush mount or close to..maybe 4 to 6 inches of protrusion max.

Is there another stove that would meet my needs better other than the BK Ashford ? I understand no stove is perfect, but easily running a stove 24/7 would get me more supplemental heat out of the wood burner, and cut down on my oil usage.

Appreciate any suggestions !

Sq Ftg. ratings are more of a marketing estimate. It's going to vary hugely depending on the house construction and location. Blaze King tends to be more conservative with its ratings. Other inserts in this category are the Regency i2700/Hampton Hi500 and the Lopi NexGen hybrid large. Check fit.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Thank you...one other thing..will the Blaze King at least throw off the same amount of heat as my Montpelier stove ? Albeit not with the extended run times, but when I am home it would be nice to be able to crank it up knowing I will just have to fill it more often.

Yes, it should. BK tends to understate the stove specs.

I have an Ashford 25 insert and love it. I would also check out the princess insert. I was torn between the two but went with the Ashford for looks and availability. Other good recommendations would be the Kuma Cascades Le. I have the alpine (smaller version) upstairs and those two stoves are great for my application. I get 12 hours from the alpine and 14+ with the Ashford. I’ve heard better for princess insert, and I would expect better with Kuma cascade. Interested in hearing what you go with. BK princess may protrude onto hearth more than you can accommodate.

Reactions: dafattkidd
We put in a Quadrafire Pioneer III this summer. So far this fall it's been great. Automatic combustion control (air control open/close) based on a thermostat setting. Air runs wide open at startup, closes down based on room condition. Big unit, throws some serious heat. The fan is temperature controlled, kicking on only once the unit is up to temp.

We put in a Quadrafire Pioneer III this summer. So far this fall it's been great. Automatic combustion control (air control open/close) based on a thermostat setting. Air runs wide open at startup, closes down based on room condition. Big unit, throws some serious heat. The fan is temperature controlled, kicking on only once the unit is up to temp.
That’s great, you are probably getting into burning season if you’re up near the lake. Cold up that way already! Enjoy.

I have a BK Ashford 25. It’s beautiful. It heats my space well. Sounds like I’m hearing less cubic footage than you. I cannot speak to the heat output comparison of your current unit vs an Ashford, but I can tell you if you have good seasoned hardwood you’ll get 10 hours no problem.