Hearthstone truhybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I put this on the latch and the cast part about 4 times a season. Once per season easily take the latch apart and clean and lube with it also. Stove about 10 years old latches like new!View attachment 272304View attachment 272305
Thank you very much blacktop37, As soon as I can I will get that product. I tried graphite lubricant in powder and in spray but that didn't last very long. What I can't understand is why when new the latche is working like no other stove , it's like butter smooth and after a short while, let say one month they get rude , like if the parts were grinding one over the other one...the smoothness disappear and I cannot get back to the smooth feeling, even following the technical data sheet instructions ???? Salutations.

I bought the first Heritage 8023 brown Majolic no cat, sold it after one year, then bought a Heritage 8024 Brown Majolic Truhybrid cat. but that stove had so many issues the dealer who sold it decided to replace the stove but I told him to order an enameled black thinking the black would be of better quality of finish but when the enameled black arrived,it was worst than the majolica brown and the dealer didn't even uncrated it. Then I told him to order a flat black one so the enameled poor quality problems would be finished. The dealer did a very nice job . Meanwhile we wanted a smaller stove for the small living room, because we love soapstone we got a Castleton flat back. These stove are very beautifull and that is the mean reason why we stayed with Hearthstone. Here in Québec, having a Progress Hybrid is all a challenge to get . I hope that answer you question. But all that don't explain why Hearthstone makes so complicated latch and why they get rude after a so short time. In the past 38 years we got 12 stoves and no one got that kind of fragile latch. Some love cars, alcohol, drugs, gamble, ...me I like stoves. That is my sole sin LOL.
I’ve got a woodstove habit too. lol
I had 1 Hearthstone, I never have had the desire for another. I don’t see the appeal of soapstone really, my Woodstock was awesome! I feel that it was the cat and build quality more than the stone though.

Reactions: Highbeam
I’ve got a woodstove habit too. lol
I had 1 Hearthstone, I never have had the desire for another. I don’t see the appeal of soapstone really, my Woodstock was awesome! I feel that it was the cat and build quality more than the stone though.

What’s better than a high mass stove with a 12 hour “heat life”? A stove that rapidly heats up and efficiently burns for 12 hours! Or 24 for that matter.

I do admit that the polished hearthstone soapstone is a really nice look.

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone ever got the 25 hours of burn times/heatlife for the Heritage TruHybrid as described in the Hearthstone catalog ? And if so or close to, at what temperature rate you did so, and how did you realised the complete process : from A to Z ? Maybe some of you got those numbers or close to with an other Hearthstone model ?Thanks

"Heat life" is a nonsense marketing angle and I wouldn't read into it much. It's actually kind of irritating to me as it makes it more difficult to compare
The EPA report is on Hearthstone's website though - looks like the longest burn they had was 379minutes (6 1/2hrs). Obviously there are a ton of factors in play there though - i think they burn soft wood and i'm not sure if it's a packed firebox

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone ever got the 25 hours of burn times/heatlife for the Heritage TruHybrid as described in the Hearthstone catalog ? And if so or close to, at what temperature rate you did so, and how did you realised the complete process : from A to Z ? Maybe some of you got those numbers or close to with an other Hearthstone model ?Thanks
I think the important factor here is going to be which stove size you're looking at. The firebox size is pretty important.
I know on their Green Mountain models, which do use the "TruHybrid" tech, Nigel459 on here has gotten 12 hour burns on his little GM40. And there are a couple videos online of the GM60 going 16 hours and 19 hours burn time - with coals at the end.

Heat life is a marketing term, but for a lack of a better word, it does describe the behavior somewhat. Soapstone and cast iron jacketed stoves are less intensely radiant. The mass surrounding the firebox soaks up heat. This is slowly released back to the room as the fire dies down. As a result, the difference in room temperature swing is quite noticeable. Other stoves strive to achieve this effect with thermostatic regulation.

"Heat life" is a nonsense marketing angle and I wouldn't read into it much. It's actually kind of irritating to me as it makes it more difficult to compare
The EPA report is on Hearthstone's website though - looks like the longest burn they had was 379minutes (6 1/2hrs). Obviously there are a ton of factors in play there though - i think they burn soft wood and i'm not sure if it's a packed firebox
Thanks, I'm also like you not shure of the Hearthstone numbers and wonder if it is a false advertisement??? I don't know if EPA certify the burn times?
But yes the HeatLife is real from soapstone but not as long as said in the pub. Maybe the only truth from the Heritage TruHybrid stove is the 0.54 g/hr EPA Certified? And that is the main reason I would like to hear about those here having the TruHybrid stove.
One thing is the most important to me is to get the real experiences from the forum members, if someone searches informations about a product before buying, the real facts must be share here, bad or not.

I think the important factor here is going to be which stove size you're looking at. The firebox size is pretty important.
I know on their Green Mountain models, which do use the "TruHybrid" tech, Nigel459 on here has gotten 12 hour burns on his little GM40. And there are a couple videos online of the GM60 going 16 hours and 19 hours burn time - with coals at the end.
My questions are about the Hreitage TruHybrid performances in real life from that stove's owners compared to the Hearthstone pub. at aburn times of 25 hours and a HeatLife of also 25 + hrs, if we supposed all the numbers true, I would also discover how Hearthstone makes it. Here in Québec we are not very bright LOL.

As someone who is looking to purchase a Heritage TruHybrid, I see their "heat life" marketing and a few things come to mind. I have no doubt that it is indeed a marketing ploy, but either way I've been pondering it.

They don't elaborate "useable heat", where it is measured, or what designates the beginning and end of said time frame. Based upon a few graphs of their "heat life", I will assume they begin at the start of a fire before any heat is actually being used to heat the space, and end when temps are 150F. Their "comfort zone" as listed on a graph found in the YT video link below, is between 150F and 550F for the soapstone.

Our intention is not to purchase a wood stove for primary heating. We burn propane that is extremely cheap as of this time, but would like to have the ability to burn a fire for comfort when home and to offset the high fuel costs and/or scarce fuel is another propane shortage comes about.

Hopefully here in a few weeks or so I will be able to provide some of my wisdom on the subject.

I view it this way- but there are way more experienced folks here who can keep me honest- the fuel you load contains X number of BTUs and the stove design can only impact how it’s distributed. If the firebox size and design efficiency is roughly the same across different models it’s just how long the stove takes to move the heat to your space and what you need it to do.

For example, if u want to heat a space up fast soapstone is probably not the best choice as it’ll absorb much of the initial heat produced. Yes it’ll release most of that into the room later but I don’t buy that a 150 degree stove is radiating much useful heat, and I’m equally suspicious it’s going to be 150 degrees a full day after you lit it. That being said, the question is if you care. Something that isn’t a primary heater probably doesn’t need to be extending the heating time over 24hrs

Last edited:
I view it this way- but there are way more experienced folks here who can keep me honest- the fuel you load contains X number of BTUs and the stove design can only impact how it’s distributed. If the firebox size and design efficiency is roughly the same across different models it’s just how long the stove takes to move the heat to your space and what you need it to do.

For example, if u want to heat a space up fast soapstone is probably not the best choice as it’ll absorb much of the initial heat produced. Yes it’ll release most of that into the room later but I don’t buy that a 150 degree stove is radiating much useful heat, and I’m equally suspicious it’s going to be 150 degrees a full day after you lit it. That being said, the question is if you care. Something that isn’t a primary heater probably doesn’t need to be extending the heating time over 24hrs
I don't know about 24 hrs later, but at 10 hrs later it may be more like a 250º stove. You are right, though, depending on the outside temps and the rate of house heat loss. When it is extra cold outside and the stove is being pushed much hard, all stoves will have their burn time (and meaningful heat life) reduced considerably.

Reactions: avsmusic1
As someone who is looking to purchase a Heritage TruHybrid, I see their "heat life" marketing and a few things come to mind. I have no doubt that it is indeed a marketing ploy, but either way I've been pondering it.

They don't elaborate "useable heat", where it is measured, or what designates the beginning and end of said time frame. Based upon a few graphs of their "heat life", I will assume they begin at the start of a fire before any heat is actually being used to heat the space, and end when temps are 150F. Their "comfort zone" as listed on a graph found in the YT video link below, is between 150F and 550F for the soapstone.

Our intention is not to purchase a wood stove for primary heating. We burn propane that is extremely cheap as of this time, but would like to have the ability to burn a fire for comfort when home and to offset the high fuel costs and/or scarce fuel is another propane shortage comes about.

Hopefully here in a few weeks or so I will be able to provide some of my wisdom on the subject.

Thanks for the reply. What stove are you planning to buy? Many times here we compare the Heritage with the Progress Hybrid and some say the PH is more expensive than the Heritage but the PH is a bigger stove .

I saw a USA Hearthstone dealer on videos saying that soapstone takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get warm but keeps the heat longer, about 2 hours longer. I will try to find that videos, anyways I think that it could be hard to compare the burn time cause I think the comparisons from stove makers ends when you can restart the fire without lighting it , just from the coals in the ash. But it's possible to re-start a fire even with one chunk of coal, and coals can stay alive for many hours and even days . So I was wondering how Hearthstone do the burn times/heatlife maths? The same things can be asked for others stove makers. But the real numbers in real life coming from stoves owners can also give a good idea.
The PH has a 2.8 Cubic ft firebox and advertises 8-16 hrs burn times. The Heritage with a smaller firebox 2.2 Cubic ft, advertises up to 25 hrs burn times. Both stoves have about the same EPA certified emission : 0.63 for the PH and 0.54 for the Heritage,

Emissions are not directly related to efficiency. My princess from 2012 is quite dirty at 2.4 gph but is more efficient than the PH. My old heritage from 2006 was very low emissions but horrible efficiency. It’s great to find a stove that excels in both of these independent parameters like the new model princess.

Emissions are not directly related to efficiency. My princess from 2012 is quite dirty at 2.4 gph but is more efficient than the PH. My old heritage from 2006 was very low emissions but horrible efficiency. It’s great to find a stove that excels in both of these independent parameters like the new model princess.
Thanks Highbeam, my principale question still the long burn times from Heritage advertised. I wonder if Hearthstone could tell me how they achieved those 25 hrs burn times? And if us, the real custommers/owners we can get those results or at least close to ?
I was comparing the PH a bigger stove but having lower numbers compared to a smaller Heritage stove having higher numbers??? Where is the truth ???

Thanks for the reply. What stove are you planning to buy? Many times here we compare the Heritage with the Progress Hybrid and some say the PH is more expensive than the Heritage but the PH is a bigger stove .

Heritage TrueHybrid. I've been waiting around all day for the nearest (60 miles away) stocking dealer to price out what I want so I can go pick it up.

Gloss Black Heritage TrueHybrid with rear heat shield, outside air kit and ash tray.

Since my window of opportunity to pick it up today has closed, I'm heading to Menards to get materials to start on my hearth. Tomorrow may be the day I'll go pick it up.

I'd rather go with the PH but "built to order" keeps me from doing so as my wife would like to have wood stove heat before I go back to work. She just bore my 3rd son two days ago so I'm home for a few weeks. :)

Thanks Highbeam, my principale question still the long burn times from Heritage advertised. I wonder if Hearthstone could tell me how they achieved those 25 hrs burn times? And if us, the real custommers/owners we can get those results or at least close to ?
I was comparing the PH a bigger stove but having lower numbers compared to a smaller Heritage stove having higher numbers??? Where is the truth ???

I'd wager their definition of "burn" is different than ours. They probably consider live embers in the ash pan as still "burning" to inflate their claims.

I doubt I'll get much of a clear answer, but I will definitely inquire when I go pick up my stove.

The only ways to get a real answer are by owning one or by using the epa ratings. The epa tells you what the minimum burn rate is. The firebox capacity tells you how many lbs of fuel you can load. Apply the efficiency from the epa list and you can calculate how many hours that the burn will last. Of course, solid fuel burners are not super consistent but at least you can compare stoves this way.

Burn times in marketing brochures have a long history of being false. Not all companies lie but many do. As you point out, there is no standard definition of burn time so companies trying to be competitive will choose a pretty odd definition to favor their product.

I don’t believe a hearthstone will burn for 24 hours but I am glad they are trying for longer burns because long burns are fantastic.

Heritage TrueHybrid. I've been waiting around all day for the nearest (60 miles away) stocking dealer to price out what I want so I can go pick it up.

Gloss Black Heritage TrueHybrid with rear heat shield, outside air kit and ash tray.

Since my window of opportunity to pick it up today has closed, I'm heading to Menards to get materials to start on my hearth. Tomorrow may be the day I'll go pick it up.

I'd rather go with the PH but "built to order" keeps me from doing so as my wife would like to have wood stove heat before I go back to work. She just bore my 3rd son two days ago so I'm home for a few weeks. :)
Be very carefull when inspecting your stove, mine, an enameled black was a junk for the finition, the stove was in the dealer's show room, not even uncrated and I saw a stain/spot on the lef side of front door, I gently rubbed it with my finger to remove it but oops, the one inch round spot became a few inches long. So I said that to the employe and he tried to remove it with water but without success, then he came back with a spray cleaner and the spot got even longer, same results with a few other products (all products were for enamel ). In fact the front door had faded about for 3/4 of the door's frame., he tried to clean other places and the same fading occured. Plus there was a big enameled cast iron chip on the side just under the top. ...We are talking about a brand new stove not even un-crated yet. That day, we went to the dealer's show room cause the former Heritage majolica brown had many color issues and that is why we were so suspicious about the quality finition on the enameled black one. From there we told to the dealer to re-order one other stove but in flat black.
I just tell you all that so you may take a few minutes more and look for the finition quality of the enameled and the rest of the stove, rub the surfaces with your fingers and see if the shining glare doesn't fade off. Good luck, the Heritage stoves are certainly not as badly assembled as the one I described here. and the majolic brown we got. Maybe Hearthstone send the scrap stoves to us in Québec? LOL.

Reactions: Shrewboy
The only ways to get a real answer are by owning one or by using the epa ratings. The epa tells you what the minimum burn rate is. The firebox capacity tells you how many lbs of fuel you can load. Apply the efficiency from the epa list and you can calculate how many hours that the burn will last. Of course, solid fuel burners are not super consistent but at least you can compare stoves this way.

Burn times in marketing brochures have a long history of being false. Not all companies lie but many do. As you point out, there is no standard definition of burn time so companies trying to be competitive will choose a pretty odd definition to favor their product.

I don’t believe a hearthstone will burn for 24 hours but I am glad they are trying for longer burns because long burns are fantastic.
Thanks Highbeam for those advices.

Also, note they don't advertise 25hr burn times technically - they advertise "heat" times which include the alleged time the stove is simply ratiating stored heat

The only ways to get a real answer are by owning one or by using the epa ratings. The epa tells you what the minimum burn rate is. The firebox capacity tells you how many lbs of fuel you can load. Apply the efficiency from the epa list and you can calculate how many hours that the burn will last.

They give a range of btu for epa testing. The low end I'm assuming is air shut all the way down. Is the max btu with the air all the way open? Wouldn't that damage the stoves especially soapstone stove?

Also, note they don't advertise 25hr burn times technically - they advertise "heat" times which include the alleged time the stove is simply ratiating stored heat
Well, they advertise for the Heritage: * burn times = up to 25 hours *
* heatlife = 25+ hrs
*Heatlife is the total hours of usable heat from a single load of wood....* from Hearthstone .

Well, they advertise for the Heritage: * burn times = up to 25 hours *
* heatlife = 25+ hrs
*Heatlife is the total hours of usable heat from a single load of wood....* from Hearthstone .
Where is the burn time claim on that model? I must have missed it
The idea that heatlife, given how they define it, and burn time are equal seems counterintuitive at best