EV developments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nokia is now doing business in network stuff, not (edit: primarily) phones anymore. That's why (how) they still exist.

edits after msg below

Last edited:
As in the company still exists, but do you know anybody with one?
The Nokia brand phone (now made by HDM) is still sold and popular with those looking for a value phone without a lot of bells and whistles that work on budget plans like Consumer Cellular. Walmart sells many models.

Ford currently has a forward P/E ratio of 8.5 , GM is around 6 while TSLA has a forward P/E of 79.57

Read any book on basic investing and PE ratio is a fundamental. The gambling aspect of buying stocks is buying in early in hopes that the company's earnings eventually line up with the price. Berkshire Hathaway invested in BYD years ago when they were an unknown and have since sold the investment when profits caught up with stock price.

All the US companies need to come up with a reliable low cost electric car and that means low margins. Fords last decade of small cars were developed for Europe and then shifted to the US. GM was not successful in bringing over Opels (or their ill fated Saab experiment ) and their last gasp Spark just didnt go anywhere. Both GM and Ford were losing money on every small car they built but it made corporate sense as it helped them sell more trucks by increasing the Corporate Average Fuel standard. I think Tesla realizes that they need a far higher profit margin on a new small car than they can meet. The Cybertruck appears to have turned into money losing vanity project, my guess is they should have shut it down a year ago before ramping up production. They did that with the sports car.

The logical firm to come out with an affordable small EV is Toyota and they have come to the conclusion that they cant make a buck on small EVs yet. Nissan tried and failed with the Leaf. When Toyota thinks they acna make a buck I have no doubt they will. Even the Koreans haven't figured out the low cost aspect of EVs. VW is betting the company and they may succeed in Europe but expect they will be niche player in the US. Polestar has an impressive looking product but expect unless someone buys them, they are niche player in the high end market.

Sandy Munro has a contrarian take on the Supercharger team layoffs:

He's the cranky uncle I want at Thanksgiving. ;lol

Reactions: begreen
Love it. I don't think his POV is too contrarian. The supercharger division is ripe for a sellout. And bad news is what sells.

Reactions: woodgeek
Love it. I don't think his POV is too contrarian. The supercharger division is ripe for a sellout. And bad news is what sells.
Really think the superchargers were expanding faster than sales when they were at their peak. Now sales have slowed. The NACS adoption was already figured into charger build out. If you had told me 4 years ago that GM still would not have a volume EV product that could charge at 100kw + in 2024 would have called you crazy.

The more I thought about it the less it really bothers me. He to manages to make cuts. Guess what happened to those that didn’t do what the boss said. He cut them all. There will be some collateral damage to this decision. Some stations won’t get built. They were not going to be in the top half of profitability anyway.

Sales will me chargers get more crowded. In two years I’ve never had to wait for a charger to open. It’s still the best charging network hands down. It will still be that in 12 months and I will venture to say even if they don’t add any new locations for two years it will still be the best.

NYC charges will surely be in the top half of profitability...

NYC charges will surely be in the top half of profitability...
Yes and probably the most expensive to install. And I did a quick look at rates. They are not that much more than one would pay down here. About $0.41/kwh

but they will likely be occupied the largest percentage of time anywhere.

Reactions: EbS-P
One has to wonder if there was some friction between the Supercharger network director and EM. She is considered an industry leader and narcissists hate to share the spotlight.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1...me-s-top-100-most-influential-climate-leaders

One has to wonder if there was some friction between the Supercharger network director and EM. She is considered an industry leader and narcissists hate to share the spotlight.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1...me-s-top-100-most-influential-climate-leaders
Who knows? He works well with Shotwell.

Meanwhile, BYD may be thinking about its first entry into the Mexican market. Looks a lot like a Ford Ranger.
BYD Shark

PV direct DC EV charger

This is a potential game changer for home charging EVs.

PV direct DC EV charger

But why would I spend that much on panels and not use a grid tied inverter? Tesla power wall now comes with an inverter. I see this as a corporate game changer when cars are parked during peak sun hours not paying peak rates to charge employees cars.

PV direct DC EV charger

I like it. Given that solar can fluctuate in real time, DC is the way to go!

Solar Panels are relatively cheap, and grid tie only makes sense if the local utility tariffs are net metering friendly. If an EV has bidirectional capability like a Ford Lightning, this opens up a way of utilizing the EV battery for household use backed up by solar. EV batteries have a lot more capacity than a Powerwall.

On average I need 500 kWh a month for my EV (in the winter it’s probably more like 650 kWh) I’m not home during peak solar hours 3-4 days a week (and I have a super flexible schedule). Net metering rules are now generally not helping the homeowner like they once were. so using/storing all your generated electricity on site is key. I’ve given it some thought and priced things out. And tracked hours when I’m parked at home. I just can’t make a non grid ties system ROI beat the stock market 10 year average. I

Now if one worked nights or from home this a totally great system. Add into that a DC connected mini split and you have a great system. But it’s still a very large capital investment.

I agree.
There is one assumption here, though, that the Chinese consumer wants the same thing in a car as the American consumer.

In my experience (and I've and am working with dozens of well paid Chinese, and many more less well paid, and I'm in daily contact with Chinese in China), the Chinese consumer is far more focused on techno bling than the American consumer.

And that is part of why the cars there are different than here.

Only part, but a non negligible part.

The larger part is that the manufacturers there are listening to their consumers more than the manufacturers here. That is what cut throat competition does....(! In China, as compared to here).

Yes, that is also true for the Korean consumer, thus a lot of features that only show on the top end Chevy or Ford are standard on a $15K car there. But it's not just technology, they appear to demand higher quality too. The big difference that surprised me was how shabby the GM and Ford cars sold there were perceived by both the Chinese public and the article's author. This is the opposite of current US perceptions of Chinese cars. It looks Chinese manufacturing is pole-vaulting ahead of the US right now.

I have worked with both Chinese and Indian workers before retirement. The Chinese engineers I worked with were well educated, disciplined, innovative, and smart.

In some ways this reminds me of the late 1970s and early 1980s when the perception of Japanese cars was set on it's butt. Honda, Toyota, and Datsun started selling rugged little cars with sophisticated engines that ran circles around the average US sedan. We got a new 1981 Honda Accord and it was a great car. Other than normal consumables, it needed nothing. The CVCC motor was a remarkable jewel of engineering. During the 80's my mom had 2 cars, a Mercury Zephyr and and Olds Cutlass Ciera. Both were costly pieces of crap.

The larger part is that the manufacturers there are listening to their consumers more than the manufacturers here. That is what cut throat competition does....(! In China, as compared to here).
Could this also be because in the US, the shareholder is the primary customer, not the consumer?

Could this also be because in the US, the shareholder is the primary customer, not the consumer?
It could. Though I don't know how prevalent shares are there.