Cant Hook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A peavey, which has a point on the end, while it does have a use in river drives, it also is very useful on bucking. The point on my old peavey is very useful on jamming into a cut which is pinched.
View attachment 246943
Funny I use those plastic wedges for bucking..
th?id=OIP.41Zxctb5BQdp21m529mDYwHaFj&w=226&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.2&pid=1.jpg

I hadn't thought of using the point..

Funny I use those plastic wedges for bucking.. I hadn't thought of using the point..

I’d stick with the plastic wedges. Don’t even want to think about what would happen when the back of my chain contacts that steel point. I’m not trying to hit my wedges, but they all have a scar or two, from that exact thing happening once or twice over the years I’ve owned them.

I’d stick with the plastic wedges. Don’t even want to think about what would happen when the back of my chain contacts that steel point. I’m not trying to hit my wedges, but they all have a scar or two, from that exact thing happening once or twice over the years I’ve owned them.

Yup, I agree. I always use plastic wedges when bucking down through a top cut in compression. I only use the peavey when I need to pry something apart when jammed between rocks or logs.

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Ashful
It's just a stick with a metal spike coming out at 90 degrees. You can stick into a log and then be able to move it around a little, for adjustment more than transportation. They are nice to pick up rounds or splits instead of bending over to the ground, just stick into the end grain. Log tongs are great for that, those are the tool I use most

just saw this bundle...exactly what is a hookaroon used for?

Essentially most wood you bend down to pick up or are capable of draging can be snagged with a hookeroon (aka pickeroon) without bending down.

I frequently use mine as a handle for moving for long poles (stick hookeroon in the side of the pole) and for moving rounds from ground to the top of a splitter beam (stick hookeroon in the butt end of a round). It will stay stuck so you can lift some pretty heavy rounds, and with a flick of the wrist (most times) you can release it. I find it to be much faster than tongs.

This video demonstrates a lot of what I'm talking about. At the 5:29 mark, you'll see moving of longer logs/poles.

Last edited: