Cant Hook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After using several junk ones, I finally broke down and bought a LogRite. Not the cheapest option, but I will never buy another brand, again.

Mine is 60”, and it often takes two of us leaning on the handle to roll a 15’ log, so I’d not go smaller than that.

Last edited:
LogRite for sure. I have the 60" model and I have moved some huge logs with no problem. You can tell its made really well.

Last edited:
I have the woodchuck Dual peavy/cant hook/log jack and it is all aluminum and very durable. I've used it, probably in an off label way, to get a tree down from the limbs of another tree. Now that I have my logging winch I haven't had to use it as much. The LogRite also looks like a good one. Do you have a logging store in your area? There's one by me and they have loads of even longer wooden handle cant hooks.

After using several junk ones, I finally broke down and bought a LogRite. Not the cheapest option, but I will never buy another brand, again.

Mine is 60”, and it often takes two of us leaning on the handle to roll a 15’ log, so I’d not go smaller than that.

Going to order a LogRite. Peavey or Cant hook?

Also LogRite sells for another $20 an “Extreme Duty” line. Know anything about it?

https://logrite.com/store/Item/Xtreme-Duty-Peavey

Stihl cant hooks and peaveys are re-badged Logrite models.

You can't go wrong with Logrite or Peavey MFG.

If the goal is to save your back, also consider a hookaroon (pickaroon) if you don't have one.

Until today I thought a Peavey and a cant hook were the same thing.

Easy to do. A lot of firewood guys use them the same way.
I guess for the most part we all use peaveys on the ground and cant hooks are really for floating logs down the river.

… Stihl cant hooks and peaveys are re-badged Logrite models ..

Thanks!

I actually blew up the pictures of the log stands yesterday to compare them and thought that they sure do look like the same thing. :)

60", wood handle, no log stand, cant hook.
COLUMBUS MCKINNON DIXIE
Goes along every time I'm cutting.
Usually I don't spring for gadgets, this is an exception, and has become a must have, right along with ppe, wedges, fuel and oil.

I guess for the most part we all use peaveys on the ground and cant hooks are really for floating logs down the river.

You got the right idea, but backwards. The pick on the end of a Peavy is for shoving logs around on the river. Cant hooks are for rolling logs on ground.

To the OP, buy a cant hook, unless you’re a river driver. [emoji14]

Back when I bought my LogRite, I think they only made one line, and I don’t know if that’s what they now call standard or heavy duty. I like the lightest tool that will do the job, though, so my gut tells me to go standard.

I wouldn’t bother with a log stand, the 2500 lb oak logs I’m rolling would crush any log stand into the dirt, if I could even manage to pivot the log up on it. Besides, if I want to get a log off the ground, I can always lay a branch down perpendicular to the log and roll up on that, if I ate my Wheaties that morning.

Last edited:
Traditionally cant hooks were used around sawmills for turning cants. While peaveys were designed for and used for river drives. ... A cant hook has a small toe hook on the end which provides a second biting edge. A peavey has a point on the end which is used to separate logs.

upload_2019-8-26_9-31-45.jpeg

Just ordered the log stand to go with my Stihl cant hook. Thanks, again! :)

LogRite's address is Vernon, CT? My late mom and dad moved to Manchester in 1985 from Huntington, and my sister is in Bolton.

Last edited:
Just ordered the log stand to go with my Stihl cant hook. Thanks, again! :)
I wish I would have seen this a day sooner. I got the stand for mine and never use it. It's a pain trying to get the log to balance and then when it gets below 6ft long it wont work anyways.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashful
I got my cant hook from Northern Tool with a 2" dia. solid fiberglass handle. It's heavy, but you couldn't break it with anything less than a D9. It came with a timber jack stand, which I have never used. Cut, roll and cut, that's why you bought the cant hook to begin with. If you can't buck up a log on the ground without grounding your chain you should probably buy your firewood.

Reactions: Sawset and Ashful
Stihl does have a cant hook I have it.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/forestry-tools/

Someone on here posted that they have the log stand that bolts onto it. I may buy that, too.
That would of been me on an older post...
I have the steal handle .. the weight helps when rolling that large log.
I use the log stand when cutting some good size logs to get it up so the back will work a little longer...
I'm very pleased with it ( Stihl )
SmallMood.png?preset=Category.png

I ordered it Monday, and it arrived from LogRite Tuesday. :)

Nothing to cut right now. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun
I could maybe see using a stand if the wood was long and straight. Most around here is open oak savana trees - branchy, knarly, small stuff transitioning to 2ft and larger dia. No need for the small curvy stuff, wouldn't be able to move the big stuff, little in between. I can usually snip something to 6ft or less, then roll the whole thing for the back cut. Usually I'm carrying the thing in and around branches and brush and need something minimal.

A peavey, which has a point on the end, while it does have a use in river drives, it also is very useful on bucking. The point on my old peavey is very useful on jamming into a cut which is pinched.
100_2164.JPG

Attachments

• 100_2166.JPG
    100_2166.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 154