What size cant hook do you recommend for trees ranging from 12-24" in diameter? Should I get a 48" or 60" cant hook?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Studly

May 12, 2013
Minnesota
I have a bunch of downed trees I have to buck up, and they range in size from 12 to 24" in diameter. They average about 18" in diameter but many are 15-20 feet long. They are also a bit embedded in the soft soil around them.

On the recommendations of this and other forums, I'm planning to buy either a Logrite 48 or 60" cant hook to turn the logs while cutting. What size would you recommend that I buy? Is a 60" tool overkill or will it allow me to turn longer logs that a 48" wouldn't allow me to turn?

Go bigger; easier to work with, not harder to deal with.
Get a stand on it too to lift the logs out of the soil.

Go bigger; easier to work with, not harder to deal with.
Get a stand on it too to lift the logs out of the soil.
Thanks for the advice! Do you think that stand works well? I've read a bunch of threads about the various Timber Jacks/ Log Lifts and many say after buying it, they don't use that feature, and that it's much better to just use them as a cant hook.

I use it. If the soil is soft it won't work.
In MN the soil will be hard this time of the year...

I did not like the stand that came on the Northern Tool cant hook. It's too much effort to lift the log onto it. I'd rather just rotate the log 180 degrees and cut the other side. I've been fine with a 48" Woodchuck Dual but my back and legs are strong.

I did not like the stand that came on the Northern Tool cant hook. It's too much effort to lift the log onto it. I'd rather just rotate the log 180 degrees and cut the other side. I've been fine with a 48" Woodchuck Dual but my back and legs are strong.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking: If I can cut the log 3/4 the way through from the top, rotate it 180 degree, and then finish the cuts, that's all I need. Some of my logs seem too large to tilt up on a stand.

Fair enough. I cut part of my wood on the driveway so lifting the logs up is useful.

When I buy a tool I have the philosophy to better have options and not need them than the other way around.

Large logs will turn over.easier if.one has a longer canthook

Fair enough. I cut part of my wood on the driveway so lifting the logs up is useful.

When I buy a tool I have the philosophy to better have options and not need them than the other way around.

Large logs will turn over.easier if.one has a longer canthook
Good advice, thanks!

Greek philosopher Archimedes once said, “Give me a firm place to stand and a lever and I can move the Earth.”
But the lever may be too heavy to move.

Reactions: ClintonH
I mostly use a 48'' peavy. I have a 60'' too. I use that one less and mostly for really big stuff....diameter wise.
I have a third one somewhere with a busted handle. To busy to swap out the replacement handle when I still have 2 good ones. They're all wooden handled. I have a small, lightweight cant hook with a 3' handle. It rides behind the seat of the truck. Handy for smaller logs but will manage 24''dia stuff in a pinch.

Never had bigger than a 48." Maxed out the mill (32") but always moved what I needed to.

Reactions: all night moe
I have both a 48" and a 60" (Stihl versions). I almost never use the 60" one.

1708711706996.png

I have the 60" Logrite, and it's great for big stuff (eg. 30" and larger oak logs 15 feet long), but awful combersome for small stuff.

The smaller one would be preferred 90% of the time, for the size range you're listing. However, for those rare days when every log is frozen to the ground, or to the pile of logs upon which it is presently resting, you're going to need the big one.

Buy both! Otherwise, you're stuck with the long one, and cursing it every time the short one would've done, or buy the short one and an extension pipe handle. If it were me, handling the size logs you're listing, I'd buy the short one and figure out an extension handle to make it long when needed.

I think the long ones from some manufacturers might have a larger jaw capacity than the shorter ones. In your case, the smaller jaw would be better, as my 60" logrite honestly has trouble grabbing anything 12" or under.

Reactions: Zack R