Bye bye ICE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A reference:
And from the high mileage truckers:
"Rain, snow, or slush on the road increases the vehicle’s rolling resistance, because in addition to moving the vehicle, the tires must also push their way through the precipitation on the roadway. The precipitation cools the tires, transmission oil and axle oils. These components operate less efficiently at lower temperatures. The increased rolling resistance and drive-train friction in just a light rain can increase fuel consumption by 0.2 to 0.3 mpg."

Wow, 800 volts DC. Way higher than I expected.

I love ICE but I would also love to experience an EV someday.
The quiet engineering is really nice. We run it in ECO mode so far. In Sport mode the acceleration is eyewatering.

Reactions: EbS-P and Highbeam
Wow, 800 volts DC. Way higher than I expected.

I love ICE but I would also love to experience an EV someday.

Usually the onboard electronics like the motor and DC-DC are still 400V rating, but the battery has two identical 400V strings. During DCFC a contactor places these two strings in series to make a 800V battery temporarily. This speeds up DCFC by 2X, given that the current carrying capacity of the DCFC connector is the limiting factor (usually around 450 amps, with a water cooled jacket, or 60 amp when the water cooling is offline). 800V x 450A = '350 kW' rating DCFC.

The 400/800V are nominal maximum, real voltages are 10-20% lower.

My 'old tech' Bolt has a 400V platform and 125A max charging current.

Usually the onboard electronics like the motor and DC-DC are still 400V rating, but the battery has two identical 400V strings. During DCFC a contactor places these two strings in series to make a 800V battery temporarily. This speeds up DCFC by 2X, given that the current carrying capacity of the DCFC connector is the limiting factor (usually around 450 amps, with a water cooled jacket, or 60 amp when the water cooling is offline). 800V x 450A = '350 kW' rating DCFC.

The 400/800V are nominal maximum, real voltages are 10-20% lower.

My 'old tech' Bolt has a 400V platform and 125A max charging current.
Always thought it was clever how you can replace amps with volts by putting things in series (DC) or using transformers (AC).