Blazeking Ashford 30 install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No problem.

Triple wall chimney is worse than double wall because it has less insulation and uses convection cooling of the pipe (and thus gases).
Better have double wall with thick insulation. I.e. class A chimney.

Reactions: kevk
No problem.

Triple wall chimney is worse than double wall because it has less insulation and uses convection cooling of the pipe (and thus gases).
Better have double wall with thick insulation. I.e. class A chimney.
Thank you. By the looks of my pictures is that part already installed?

I will confirm with my chimney guy on the triple wall, but I'm almost positive that is what he said.

If it's already in, then I'm guessing it's more trouble than it's worth to change out at this point. Will the triple wall impact the performance of the stove at all?

The chimney portion at the top is triple wall (2100 degrees F). The rest is Class A double walled black pipe.
MetalFab doesn't make triple wall. Their Tempguard, class A chimney pipe is double-walled. It has a clearance requirement of 1.5". Black double-wall stove pipe is not class A chimney pipe.

If the chimney pipe is triple-walled, it's likely DuraPlus. If already installled, there may still be a label on the pipe identifying it. A picture of the chimney cap might also help ID it. If it's DuraPlus, that will work ok and will not affect the stove performance.

MetalFab doesn't make triple wall. Their Tempguard, class A chimney pipe is double-walled. It has a clearance requirement of 1.5". Black double-wall stove pipe is not class A chimney pipe.

If the chimney pipe is triple-walled, it's likely DuraPlus. If already installled, there may still be a label on the pipe identifying it. A picture of the chimney cap might also help ID it. If it's DuraPlus, that will work ok and will not affect the stove performance.
Thank you for the reply. You were correct, it's MetalFab and it's not triple wall.
I got clarification from my chimney guy; its insulated double wall.

The house should be done by fall, it will be the perfect time to test out the new stove.

Reactions: stoveliker
Double wall insulated chimney pipe is superior to triple wall air cooled for burning wood