Another Whoops!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Since folks like to tell on themselves here when they screw up I thought I should fess up too. Thirty minutes ago it was time to load the 30 up for its journey to sunup. I had just come back in from doing something outside in the snow and didn't do my usual thing of hanging my down filled vest on the back of a kitchen chair. Selected the splits for the load, opened the door out straight into the room like always and started my push the ash and drag the coals routine. When I started smelling the unmistakable smell of burning polyester and feathers. The open vest had caught on the end of the latch rod inside the stove door and was doing a good job of adding the vest to the night fire. :red:

The stove is loaded and cruising but the place smells like somebody set fire to a duck in a leisure suit in here.

BrotherBart said:
Since folks like to tell on themselves here when they screw up I thought I should fess up too. Thirty minutes ago it was time to load the 30 up for its journey to sunup. I had just come back in from doing something outside in the snow and didn't do my usual thing of hanging my down filled vest on the back of a kitchen chair. Selected the splits for the load, opened the door out straight into the room like always and started my push the ash and drag the coals routine. When I started smelling the unmistakable smell of burning polyester and feathers. The open vest had caught on the end of the latch rod inside the stove door and was doing a good job of adding the vest to the night fire. :red:

The stove is loaded and cruising but the place smells like somebody set fire to a duck in a leisure suit in here.

Haha Now that made me chuckle as soon as I read it. At least you didn't have flames rolling off the vest!

Sorry to hear about the vest, but glad that was all that happened. Ya'll be careful with these fire boxes. We want you to hang around a bit.

BrotherBart said:

Pics - we need pics!!!!!!!!

Just kidding,
Bill

Now that's a real downer!

BrotherBart said:

Dam...that is funny! You sure can write and make us see your sense of humor...Glad all is well though . Also glad your Avatar is back to the little guy, for a moment I almost thought his shirt was on fire,,,
md

BrotherBart said:

About time those damn leisure suit wearing ducks get whats coming to them!

When I first got our stove I burnt the heck out of my arm on that inner latch ...but I think once is all it is going to happen.

I branded my right hand on that latch last week.

Makes me think of Chuck Connors :coolsmirk:

Glad you didn't incinerate yourself, BB.

Glad to see that you didn't "DUCK" the issue when confessing LOL

Eider way, what's done is done. Time to fluff it off and get down and dirty with some duck tape.

Time to switch to Kevlar.......Cheers!

It's funny how an everyday routine, as simple as they are, goes astray when one thing changes. Kinda like looking for your glasses when they are on your face. I feel for your down vest

Didn't your mother tell you to always take care of your clothing?

cmonSTART said:
I wonder what the BTU content of down is..

Probably not much, but that polyester.... that's a different story. Burns hot and completely to just CO2 and H2O. Imagine the secondaries someone would get if they tossed Barry Gibb on a hot coal bed.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I branded my right hand on that latch last week.

Makes me think of Chuck Connors :coolsmirk:

Glad you didn't incinerate yourself, BB.

Wow, haven't even THOUGHT of that show in I don't know how long.
BB, at least you weren't wearing it at the time. That woulda' been pretty ducked up. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.