Advice on new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Damper doesn't sound all that sensitive. Stuff a bag or balloon temporarily in the flue to check. Just remember to take it out after the test!

Reactions: Doc C
Air will take the path of least resistance so if your damper contraption is even slightly weighted closed then that wide open flue works fine as a leak.

I've had to shut off the range hood to start a fire in my BK several times or else the smoke dumped into the room through the open door!

Ok. I went up to the roof and sealed the chimney with a thick plastic garbage bag and duct tape.

Closed all the windows, turned on all fans and dryer.

Vent did not open. I am confident in how tight the house is. It was a complete gut over the last couple years and I sealed every penetration including where drywall meets subfloor.

I flipped the vent to test it to see if it would work blowing out and it did????

Why is my house pressure reversed?

Ok. I went up to the roof and sealed the chimney with a thick plastic garbage bag and duct tape.

Closed all the windows, turned on all fans and dryer.

Vent did not open. I am confident in how tight the house is. It was a complete gut over the last couple years and I sealed every penetration including where drywall meets subfloor.

I flipped the vent to test it to see if it would work blowing out and it did????

Why is my house pressure reversed?
Honestly there is no way for us to know that we are not there.

Reactions: Doc C