2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Tonight the forecast is saying rain then ice on Thursday night, anyone else have it in their forecast.
What do the lakes look like up there? Are they frozen over yet?

What do the lakes look like up there? Are they frozen over yet?
I'm not sure but I'm thinking some of the smaller bays up here that are well off the main river are, I haven't been down to the St. Lawrence River but they have areas that probably are thick enough that are off or on the opposite side they fish.

We haven't had a ton of snow in this area so that will help everything freeze quicker, I'm not sure what they received up around the St. Lawrence River area, the Waddington NY area was always a good area for ice fishing.

Down to 19 tonight here. Coldest night in the 3 or 4 years. Back up to 75 by Thursday. I I don’t have much practice running stoves for nights like this. If just go to bed I’ll wake up cold. If go load both stoves house will hit 75 before I go to bed.
Weird. It'll be 18 here tonight (and quite windy).
You're not inland, right? Knoxville will be 6 F tonight, but I'd expect the coastal Carolinas to be a bit warmer than here. Sea temps will surely be higher?

Anyway, stay warm.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Weird. It'll be 18 here tonight (and quite windy).
You're not inland, right? Knoxville will be 6 F tonight, but I'd expect the coastal Carolinas to be a bit warmer than here. Sea temps will surely be higher?

Anyway, stay warm.
North west offshore winds, we all live on sand. Temps drop quickly but climb quickly too. We are 3 miles from the inter coastal and 4 from the beach. Ocean temps according to the web are 55 which is quite cold for here.

North west offshore winds, we all live on sand. Temps drop quickly but climb quickly too. We are 3 miles from the inter coastal and 4 from the beach. Ocean temps according to the web are 55 which is quite cold for here.
Still it's surprising given that we had winds from N and NW, i.e. from land.
Anyway, interesting observation.

Reactions: EbS-P
11 am clear skies 31 degrees. Unusual for us not t get above freezing by 10. If it was a month later we would have made it.

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

What Accu is forecasting for the East Coast.

Well, it is winter. Snow was bound to happen eventually. The ground should be frozen now. Hopefully the winter sports crowd gets some of the weather they want!

This will be the second night in this area ( The Burg, Massena & Potsdam) they've received ice, the state roads were fine but the trees were loaded with ice from last night.
2024 severe weather!

I hope there isn’t too much firewood delivered to your area. That much ice can be bad news!

It’s pouring here. I’ll be on the road today, I’m hoping it stays raining.

I hope there isn’t too much firewood delivered to your area. That much ice can be bad news!

With that much ice coating the trees I suspect there will be a lot of new firewood once this is over.

I think they received less than the map showed but I'm sure there was some tree damage. We pretty much had all rain but we might get a dusting of snow tonight.

@begreen , they were removing some dead trees just before this ice chit started next to a garage & house, a big ole dead pine just across from Potsdam State University.

I'm sure someone is getting firewood out of this.

We hit 83 yesterday. Does not feel like January.

Yesterday it was 37 and poured all day. Today was 37 and foggy. That’s maybe a few degrees warmer than normal.

Foggy here too, we are in the clouds. The stove is cold today.

IMG_4202.jpg

On my 10 day forecast the highs are above freezing every day. All our snow is almost gone now.

Today was 36 and foggy. I let the stove go out this morning and lit another fire just now. The house was getting cold (72 lol).

I’m jealous of your inside humidity @begreen. Mine is 30% right now. And that’s with evaporating a gallon of water per day on top of the stove.

On my 10 day forecast the highs are above freezing every day. All our snow is almost gone now.

Today was 36 and foggy. I let the stove go out this morning and lit another fire just now. The house was getting cold (72 lol).

I’m jealous of your inside humidity @begreen. Mine is 30% right now. And that’s with evaporating a gallon of water per day on top of the stove.
My dehumidifier has been cycling since Wednesday!

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker

That's in part because it's 100% humidity outside right now.