2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 2 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor unworthy tuber.

Image5195611892928575500.jpg

Reactions: Nelson and Ashful
Can you do an update of how long that burned and details?

Let it go about 11 hours, pulled the sides in and forward and burned it on high for another hour or so then reloaded.(STT over the cat was 400ish) Minus temps are too much for this place, stove room was still mid 70’s but rest of house took a hit to the mid 60’s.

Reactions: MissMac
Let it go about 11 hours, pulled the sides in and forward and burned it on high for another hour or so then reloaded.(STT over the cat was 400ish) Minus temps are too much for this place, stove room was still mid 70’s but rest of house took a hit to the mid 60’s.
on what sort of setting for your stove? medium? high? somewhere in between?

on what sort of setting for your stove? medium? high? somewhere in between?

I usually run about the same t stat setting no matter the outside temp. It seems the draft increasing or decreasing changes the stoves performance enough. I usually run around the n on normal, today when I was warming the place back up after reloading I ran it on 2 for an hour or so.

157EF818-5800-404D-AC70-BE3BC1551006.jpeg

Reactions: Nelson and lsucet
I usually run about the same t stat setting no matter the outside temp. It seems the draft increasing or decreasing changes the stoves performance enough. I usually run around the n on normal, today when I was warming the place back up after reloading I ran it on 2 for an hour or so.

View attachment 238811
So i'm just wondering what that setting gives you, in your particular application because everyone's low, med and high is different. So what is that for you? Is that as low as you can set your stove without the cat stalling out?

90% of the time I run mine slightly above or below 3 o’clock except on reload and when I need to burn down the coal

Was just thinking today about how does this work or what is it regulating. I usually havemy King about 3 o’clock position a bit more or less depending on temp. I haven’t changed from the 3 o’clock setting but stove is burning more wood when it’s cold. So what exactly is the control knob regulating?

that is the sweet spot for many of us with the princess. Around 2 o'clock. It does change on its own according to outside temps and consuming wood faster. Cold air coming from outside if an OAK is installed can affect burn time when too cold outside.

Reactions: rdust
Was doing my own energy audit of sorts last weekend and was running the princess insert at the time. I had rented a thermal camera from H.D.
and wanted to share a pic with everyone.
ztJTd27HWrsxonQCowRydiNGJFQt24Vf9RM7rzk0tJBbEUTqwZIVcsI9OWLsGFvHmEnyx6t5nLQ18D8eW-A=w456-h608-no.jpg

So I have a princess insert and am curious about my install. I have a fully insulated block off plate and insulation around the entire firebox. The surround was too small for the install and leaves a 4 inch gap at the top. If everything is insulated would I have to run the blower? I’m thinking low blower at all times for a little circulation but even on high burn rate not sure that blower would need to be on high given the heat is escaping through the gap. Thoughts?

Attachments

• E790CC12-91B4-45E8-B23A-53D6B3911A55.jpeg
    E790CC12-91B4-45E8-B23A-53D6B3911A55.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 194
  • 339A1D5B-35DD-4610-893B-4FC429BACCA6.jpeg
    339A1D5B-35DD-4610-893B-4FC429BACCA6.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 189
So i'm just wondering what that setting gives you, in your particular application because everyone's low, med and high is different. So what is that for you? Is that as low as you can set your stove without the cat stalling out?

When it’s cold it’s a medium output, warmer temps a low output. Gives me a 12-16 hour burntime(with fans on) when it’s cold, 24 hours give or take when it’s warm. I rarely demand high output out of the stove unless I’m warming a cold house up.

Reactions: lsucet
One more try. I’ve loosened the nut on handle a couple times but it keeps working tight.
Anybody know how to keep the door latch on the ashford 30 from getting too tight. A couple weeks ago it got so tight it was hard to open and I loosened the nut a little. It helped but it worked back tight again. I have a load in it so won’t be able to open it until tomorrow. Last time I looked at it it seemed the bolt was turning with the handle is that correct? Thanks

3rd day of sub -30f wind chill and presently -9f temps, both stoves on 8hr reloads
and still have the furnace running about once every 45min, helps to the pipes from freezing.
They are saying rain and 40f by tomorrow afternoon into thursday.
got an email saying my new cat will be in on wednesday but the old one seems to be running OK
at the moment, tried low burn for an hour yesterday and the cat stayed active so I will hold off
installing the new one while I do more tests on this one.

Reactions: Highbeam
One more try. I’ve loosened the nut on handle a couple times but it keeps working tight.

When does it become tight? On a warm stove or cold? If it’s like the ashford 25 the handle I think rides on a sleeve with a bolt and nut through it to hold it on.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

When it’s cold it’s a medium output, warmer temps a low output. Gives me a 12-16 hour burntime(with fans on) when it’s cold, 24 hours give or take when it’s warm. I rarely demand high output out of the stove unless I’m warming a cold house up.
How do you get such different burn times on the same setting? I understand that draft has more of an impact in the colder weather, but I’ve never experienced such a spread on my stove? Do other people get such different times?

Anyone have an explanation for this:

It is very cold suddenly here in CT. I was worried that my Princess Insert would be overwhelmed and need to be reloaded a lot. Especially since I have a really strong draft and no damper installed. Cold air should have increased that draft a bit.

Instead I have gotten nothing but really hot and long burn times. Best I have gotten so far. The average outside temp was around 33, and for the last 2 days it is around 5. This seems counter intuitive to me. Is there any reason the stove is acting so much better in the colder weather? I hope I can keep it up.

I have AF25 and experienced the same thing. I loosened the nut but then it failed dollar bill test. I used hammer drill to loose it that caused the nut to be stripped. I tried to tighten it as much as I can so that it can pass dollar bill test but was not easy with a half stripped nut. Then arctic weather set in. With the cold weather, I was running the stove wide open with fan max speed almost 24/7. I realized that handle is getting stiffer and stiffer again. I am not sure if it is a common problem in AF25 of this year. I purchased mine back in October.

How do you get such different burn times on the same setting? I understand that draft has more of an impact in the colder weather, but I’ve never experienced such a spread on my stove? Do other people get such different times?

I can easily ride my Princess for 8hrs on coals with active cat (according to the probe........) when it is warm out.

Try the same when it’s cold, no way.

I can easily ride my Princess for 8hrs on coals with active cat (according to the probe........) when it is warm out.

Try the same when it’s cold, no way.
yup, so what you describe i understand. i have similar experiences. however @chazcarr is saying the opposite, which i cannot wrap my head around?

Reactions: charger4406
Anyone have an explanation for this:

It is very cold suddenly here in CT. I was worried that my Princess Insert would be overwhelmed and need to be reloaded a lot. Especially since I have a really strong draft and no damper installed. Cold air should have increased that draft a bit.

Instead I have gotten nothing but really hot and long burn times. Best I have gotten so far. The average outside temp was around 33, and for the last 2 days it is around 5. This seems counter intuitive to me. Is there any reason the stove is acting so much better in the colder weather? I hope I can keep it up.

May be you are using your best and dry firewood stored for the worst weather that makes the difference?

I have AF25 and experienced the same thing. I loosened the nut but then it failed dollar bill test. I used hammer drill to loose it that caused the nut to be stripped. I tried to tighten it as much as I can so that it can pass dollar bill test but was not easy with a half stripped nut. Then arctic weather set in. With the cold weather, I was running the stove wide open with fan max speed almost 24/7. I realized that handle is getting stiffer and stiffer again. I am not sure if it is a common problem in AF25 of this year. I purchased mine back in October.

I have not had this issue with my AF25, i have been running it the past 3 days straight on ~1/2 swoosh mark. I remember reading your previous post about the handle tightness and I looked at mine and could not figure out where it would get tight other than it looks like there is maybe kind of a lock washer in there or a semi deformed washer in there that could cause the handle to become stiff sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.