2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that. But you said you didnt think it was a flue fire then went on to say that it lit off the buildup that was in there.
I think there’s a difference between a flash fire in the connector pipe than a flue fire. It’s a very short lived event that does not spread to the chimney. I wouldn’t call that a flue fire.

Really? You dont think.i checked that.

I guess you could be using more wood if the stove is keeping the house a consistent temperature all day, where before the House temp was dropping throughout the day and then heated back up at night when you were home. If nobody is home during the day then I guess that would be saving wood. If the house needs to stay at temp all day though, there wouldn’t be a savings.

I can say I definitely started using more wood when my wife started staying home to homeschool our kids.

Hearing this kinda scary for a newbie like me!

It scared me too! I don’t think it was just flames shooting through the bypass but perhaps flames shooting through the bypass and igniting a thin deposit. I’m sure there are varying severity of flue fires and this was fortunately minor because of low accumulation and rapid shut down of the intake.

The needle climbed very fast even after snuffing the fire in the box.

I’ll be a little paranoid for awhile now!

I think there’s a difference between a flash fire in the connector pipe than a flue fire. It’s a very short lived event that does not spread to the chimney. I wouldn’t call that a flue fire.
Have you ever read the csia white paper on flue fires? That is what is used by fire companies insurance companies etc. And according to that what you described is a flue fire.

Have you ever read the csia white paper on flue fires? That is what is used by fire companies insurance companies etc. And according to that what you described is a flue fire.
Ok...

Because its a pita to start
I am barely running 13ft of pipe on mine and have no issues with light off and kindling with the little propane torch.

I’m just basing the description on real life experience. It’s alarming when it happens, there’s no doubt, it’s easily snuffed by shutting the bypass and not a big deal unless your chimney has been neglected.

I am barely running 13ft of pipe on mine and have no issues with light off and kindling with the little propane torch.
Ok

I’m just basing the description on real life experience. It’s alarming when it happens, there’s no doubt, it’s easily snuffed by shutting the bypass and not a big deal unless your chimney has been neglected.
Yes i agree not a big deal at all. I said that from the start. But if there was creosote burning in the venting system it was a chimney fire

That i beleive without a doubt lol
My wife was none to happy initially when I told her my plans to install a indoor stove....as she had never experienced a indoor stove and was very apprehensive about it...but has grown to understand it and how to run it and loves it now and understands it saves me a lot of work as well!

Reactions: bholler
What's the difference?

We're pretty dead set on a Sirocco 30 with pedestal and black door. I can see that our dealer has quoted a 30.2. I have read quite a few favorable things about the 30.1. Can I assume that the 30.2 will perform the same?

As far as I can as far as I can tell they retested it with the EPA. so that they could use multiple catalyst manufacturers .

It's safe to say it will deliver the same BK experience.

I just had a quick chimney fire because, IMO, I kept the door cracked too long during warmup. Good thing I was there watching my flue temperature suddenly start whipping up. I slammed everything shut which on the bk actually means just that little air hole in the intake flapper. The young fire snuffed and the probe meter only climbed to about 1100 before stopping.

Whoa!

I pulled the probe meter out and the probe is shiney copper. No roaring or rumbling but crackling in the pipe.

Everything is normal now.

I never crack my door, load the stove and close the door.

In the beginning I experienced what you have on a few occasions. One was the day after sweeping the pipe and chimney. When the stove is in bypass flames can shoot right up the pipe and overheat it rapidly. I always try to load the stove with a split dead center in the stove so flames won’t be able to shoot right up the flue. If I see flames going right up and the cat probe is still not active I flip the bypass lever closed and say F it. Cats are cheap, I’m not having the pipe light off and start a chimney fire.

Reactions: Highbeam
@bholler, energy consumption is proportional to indoor temp minus outdoor temp, integrated over time. If your house is spending more hours per day at 72F with the BK, then you’re moving a lot more heat to the outdoors than if it cycles down to a lower temperature during off-hours, and wood consumption will reflect this.

I suspect you’re also burning at times that you might not, if you were running another stove. Yesterday was in the 50’s all day here, peaking around 57F, and I had mine running. If I waited for temps to drop below 40F, I’d burn half as much. If that threshold was 30F, I’d burn a quarter of what I burn now.

I never crack my door, load the stove and close the door.

In the beginning I experienced what you have on a few occasions. One was the day after sweeping the pipe and chimney. When the stove is in bypass flames can shoot right up the pipe and overheat it rapidly. I always try to load the stove with a split dead center in the stove so flames won’t be able to shoot right up the flue. If I see flames going right up and the cat probe is still not active I flip the bypass lever closed and say F it. Cats are cheap, I’m not having the pipe light off and start a chimney fire.

I agree with your analysis but I’m not sure about the solution.

Closing the bypass before the cat is active would likely result in a higher likelihood of volatiles building up within reach of the flames licking through an open bypass, and just a dirtier chimney all together.

In my findings after several sweeps since I’ve been running the BK, there’s never been any buildup anywhere near the flue collar to catch. The bad stuff is always at or near the top 18” to 24”.

@bholler, energy consumption is proportional to indoor temp minus outdoor temp, integrated over time. If your house is spending more hours per day at 72F with the BK, then you’re moving a lot more heat to the outdoors than if it cycles down to a lower temperature during off-hours, and wood consumption will reflect this.

I suspect you’re also burning at times that you might not, if you were running another stove. Yesterday was in the 50’s all day here, peaking around 57F, and I had mine running. If I waited for temps to drop below 40F, I’d burn half as much. If that threshold was 30F, I’d burn a quarter of what I burn now.

Now that that's sorted, just think how happy your wife will be when you tell her that you sold your saws and splitter and trailer and used the money to buy her an impressive sweater-and-mittens collection!

Reactions: Ashful
Hi, I got a BK Ashford 30 and I LOVE it! What a huge difference in the house from my old pellet stove. This is my first wood stove and first Catalytic stove (which I was and am apprehensive about). It has been a learning curve this off season. I have a few questions because I am so worried about doing something to wreck the cat. I may be misinformed, hence I'm here to learn...

So far, I've been mainly burning Pine, which burns quick and not as hot, but it does produce a lot of creosote when the stove is set on not all the way to low. I've been able to fill the stove and leave it to burn for 8 hours on that setting without needing to refill. Which was nice for overnight. This week, I've started to use a bit more Birch, which burns cleaner and definitely hotter, so I've not been filling the stove but only putting in a 3-4 pieces of wood in and burning it on medium, and even then my house is HOT, too hot, and I've had to refill it 3-4 times a day. My worry is that if I set it on low, I will get too much creosote (like with the Pine) and I worry about that as it's not good for the stove or the chimney but I would get longer burn time. I don't want to eventually start a chimney fire, especially if I'm not home and the dogs are. But if I set it on medium, I can only fill it a little at a time and then I'm opening the stove 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, which is not good for the cat.

As far as the cat is concerned I've been told conflicting information. The instruction book said to wait until the cat thermometer is indicating the cat is still active but barely before reloading, but the sales guy told me to wait to refill only when the cat is inactive. This last week, since I've had to refill the stove more often, I've been worried out of my mind about the cat ... sometimes I can't wait for the cat to be inactive or even on very low active before refilling (I either have to go back to work or sleep) ... so can I open it to refill even if the cat is in the mid range of active (and of course by-pass the cat before opening) or is that NEVER to be done? This week, I've just been leaving it and coming back to a cool house or waking up to a cold house.

Also, sometimes, I've forgotten to close the by-pass for 1/2 hour before I remember and close it when the stove is burning, because I'm afraid of closing it too quickly after I've opened it to reload. How long should I wait to close it if I reloaded it when the cat was still in the barely active stage?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just don't want to wreck a brand new stove ... thank you in advance.

Hi, I got a BK Ashford 30 and I LOVE it! What a huge difference in the house from my old pellet stove. This is my first wood stove and first Catalytic stove (which I was and am apprehensive about). It has been a learning curve this off season. I have a few questions because I am so worried about doing something to wreck the cat. I may be misinformed, hence I'm here to learn...

So far, I've been mainly burning Pine, which burns quick and not as hot, but it does produce a lot of creosote when the stove is set on not all the way to low. I've been able to fill the stove and leave it to burn for 8 hours on that setting without needing to refill. Which was nice for overnight. This week, I've started to use a bit more Birch, which burns cleaner and definitely hotter, so I've not been filling the stove but only putting in a 3-4 pieces of wood in and burning it on medium, and even then my house is HOT, too hot, and I've had to refill it 3-4 times a day. My worry is that if I set it on low, I will get too much creosote (like with the Pine) and I worry about that as it's not good for the stove or the chimney but I would get longer burn time. I don't want to eventually start a chimney fire, especially if I'm not home and the dogs are. But if I set it on medium, I can only fill it a little at a time and then I'm opening the stove 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, which is not good for the cat.

As far as the cat is concerned I've been told conflicting information. The instruction book said to wait until the cat thermometer is indicating the cat is still active but barely before reloading, but the sales guy told me to wait to refill only when the cat is inactive. This last week, since I've had to refill the stove more often, I've been worried out of my mind about the cat ... sometimes I can't wait for the cat to be inactive or even on very low active before refilling (I either have to go back to work or sleep) ... so can I open it to refill even if the cat is in the mid range of active (and of course by-pass the cat before opening) or is that NEVER to be done? This week, I've just been leaving it and coming back to a cool house or waking up to a cold house.

Also, sometimes, I've forgotten to close the by-pass for 1/2 hour before I remember and close it when the stove is burning, because I'm afraid of closing it too quickly after I've opened it to reload. How long should I wait to close it if I reloaded it when the cat was still in the barely active stage?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just don't want to wreck a brand new stove ... thank you in advance.
Follow the manual instruction of lighting a fire when cold and on reload procedures. That will give you a good starting point. Bypass needs to be closed when the cat reading is going into active zone.
about creosote regardless wood species, is normal to see buildup into the firebox and this time of the year burning low is normal a dirty glass. once it gets colder and you burn hotter it will clean up for the most part.

Last edited:

reload when you need. Just follow the procedures. You dont have to wait that the cat goes into inactive zone. give you some time. between the manual and many of us here you will get the hang out of it

As long as you don’t stall the cat, you’re always going to produce more creosote reloading with 3 - 4 sticks several times a day, than you would with just loading it full once per day. This is because you’re putting a lot of creosote into the chimney during the bypass phase after each reload.

Figure out how many sticks per day you need to keep your house warm, load the stove with that, and just choose a setting that will give you a 24 hour burn. If that setting (due to low draft or poor wood) calls the cat to fall out of the active range, increase thermostat setting very slightly and decrease wood load accordingly.

It will be interesting to see what cycle burns the most wood for you, all day low heat or evening warm up fires.

I burn way more wood if I try and keep the fire going.

In the shoulder season it seems like I can warm up my house pretty quick, and it drops slowly when the fire is out. I don't like lighting fires though, so sometimes I'm willing to sacrifice a couple splits to ride out the day even if I don't really need the heat. If keep it going low and slow during a warmer day (say warmer than 50f), my living room and kitchen overheats slightly to about 76

If I was willing to light a small hot fire once a day, I bet I would burn half the wood in the shoulder season.

Wow - lots of thoughts going on here, some over thinking to, just load the stove up until you cant get anymore splits in it, set stove on high setting until you get good flames, then set the t-stat air control to the desired heat output setting, play with the stove to see what it does so you can learn it. reload as needed.

Reactions: Jeff in Maine
Status
Not open for further replies.