2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started clearing some of the downed pine branches in the front yard this morning. I fed some of the dead/dry stuff straight into the stove and stacked the green stuff for next year.

Can't wait to get out into the woods and see what's come down from the four storms in a row. Possibly a lot!

For those that are on the fence with the Bk, let me tell you about my past 23 days. I've owned a bk now for 5 seasons, I have a princess with a strait up flue approx. 18ft in height, I burn a mixture of oak, maple, ash, with some black locust mixed in, all the firewood measures between 14 - 18% moisture content.
I main job is a utility worker and living in NJ some off you guys know we had a rough start to March, actually we have had a rough March, I went to work on March 2nd and worked 16hr days until yesterday March 23rd. In that time I've had multiple days were I couldn't make it home due to multiple harsh winter storms.
The BK did fine though, in that period of time I never had to use matches to re-lite the stove. I would fill the stove box to the gills twice a day, once around 4:30 am, and then again at 11pm, I would burn low during the day and high at night, the house temps were consistently between 74deg and 65deg at its lowest points. The back up heat never came on. Outside temps were in the low 30's during the day and upper teens at night.
The last leg of my OT journey landed me in south jersey for 2 days, I wasn't able to make it home, surprisingly though, when I came home last night, I had enough coals to rake forward and do a simple re-lite, The BK line up is like no other in my opinion, I will forever have one in my home.

Sir may I ask the sq ft and style of house? filling it twice a day... that's a lot of wood!

I started clearing some of the downed pine branches in the front yard this morning. I fed some of the dead/dry stuff straight into the stove and stacked the green stuff for next year.

Can't wait to get out into the woods and see what's come down from the four storms in a row. Possibly a lot!

I remember reading in my BK manual that burning pine branches MAY void the warranty.

Be careful, watch for things that might be pre-loaded

I love pine. So does my stove!

I remember reading in my BK manual that burning pine branches MAY void the warranty.

That's odd, BK's come from Eastern WA where pine is a predominant firewood. I found one mention of pine in the BK Princess manual, but no warning not to burn pine. That was in the troubleshooting section under creosote accumulating on the glass. Same info for the Ashford.

"Use seasoned wood with low pitch content, such as some types of pine."

A lot of people say pine will cake your flue with creosote and I agree. Wet pine will always do that. Dry pine does give lovely flame patterns and can get your cat lit off and underway in less than 10 minutes from cold iron.

Where shall I set the thermostat today? Hmmm. OSA=40, ISA=77 (got to keep the chicks warm), Peak OSA=~ 60, solar noon=1:05PM and sunny today, 5 splits left so 3:30 seems good. Reload the day after tomorrow. Probably won't readjust the thermostat unless the chicks are bunched up under the heat lamp.

That's odd, BK's come from Eastern WA where pine is a predominant firewood. I found one mention of pine in the BK Princess manual, but no warning not to burn pine. That was in the troubleshooting section under creosote accumulating on the glass. Same info for the Ashford.

"Use seasoned wood with low pitch content, such as some types of pine."

My manual covers the Princess as well as the King models and is dated 4/16/09.

Under "Definitions" on page 9 it states, "Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches, or artificial logs. Such abuse may void the warranty."

I think the key word here may be branches. As well as BK's regulate the burn, regulating the rate of burn from a full load of dry pine branches would be asking allot of any stove.

Under "Definitions" on page 9 it states, "Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches, or artificial logs. Such abuse may void the warranty."

I think the key word here may be branches. As well as BK's regulate the burn, regulating the rate of burn from a full load of dry pine branches would be asking allot of any stove.
Perhaps the “ branches” mean actual branches with pine needles, I’m sure if your fine if you cut 3” thick branches to 18” lengths, it’s the small stuff that could potentially give you a problem, we know how vigorous the small stuff burns and if the door is opened it could cause and issue

Look like this language was dropped. I am looking at the 2015 manual.

Beech, oak, maple, etc. will also cake your flue if the wood is wet and/or not seasoned.
...and fir, spruce, arbutus and...

No such wording in the Ashford manual. I burn as small as one inch.

Beech, oak, maple, etc. will also cake your flue if the wood is wet and/or not seasoned.

I think the issue is with the types of wood that will *seem* to burn well with high mc. once in a while is ok but load after load is bad news. Elm won't burn worth a damn unless it's really dry but pine will light up even at 30%+ relatively easily.

mmm, pine branches.

I wouldn't load a box full of small ones. When I fell standing trees I'll harvest down to +/- 1 inch, but zip the bark, cut through the bark, with my chainsaw tip down to wood and then season along with everything else. I just stack them with the splits, and then use the smalls to fill gaps in the woodstove tetris game. Much easier to zip, or unzip, the bark on that little stuff while it is still attached to the crown.

Under 2-3 inches birch and spruce branches, zipped, will season as fast as regular sized splits. Over 3", split once and move on.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Geez, you guys have some serious time on your hands. When I drop a tree, I lop off the entire top, and just take the trunk. I guess, in that sense, I’m only “harvesting down to” 12 inches, or something thereabouts. Even when cleaning up branches in my own yard, anything under 4”-6” goes into the fire pit to be burned as waste. No way I’m investing time in cutting and stacking 1” twigs.

Reactions: Tegbert and tarzan
1 inch pine twigs is what makes the water boil fast for my spaghetti... my wood cooker loves pine twigs!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Geez, you guys have some serious time on your hands. When I drop a tree, I lop off the entire top, and just take the trunk. I guess, in that sense, I’m only “harvesting down to” 12 inches, or something thereabouts. Even when cleaning up branches in my own yard, anything under 4”-6” goes into the fire pit to be burned as waste. No way I’m investing time in cutting and stacking 1” twigs.

But 1" twigs are what fits in the little holes after the splits are in! :)

Reactions: Ashful
Stove still doing well?
Stove is doing awesome, been running on 24 hrs reloads for the last 2-3 weeks or so..
Burning cherry, so not a super great hardwood, but makes btu's..

House has stayed 72-74 deg..

You're probably the only person in this thread that's actually seen the space I'm heating ??
I think the rest of em think I'm full of CHITT.. Lol

Outside air kit made a big difference for me..

I bought a princess for in the garage too !!

Reactions: woodchipper95

Part of that is you don't have a stubborn stove to start due to ALIEN TECHNOLOGY.

Stove is doing awesome, been running on 24 hrs reloads for the last 2-3 weeks or so..
Burning cherry, so not a super great hardwood, but makes btu's..

House has stayed 72-74 deg..

You're probably the only person in this thread that's actually seen the space I'm heating ??
I think the rest of em think I'm full of CHITT.. Lol

Outside air kit made a big difference for me..

I bought a princess for in the garage too !!
Wow, yeah it's a big place for sure! Two stoves and use half the wood you used with the outdoor boiler! I bought a place up near Millerstown built in 2002. Not a huge place at all found a $300 hearthstone I'll use it for a bit then I'll get an Ashford 30. Did you get both of yours at bowmans?

Wow, yeah it's a big place for sure! Two stoves and use half the wood you used with the outdoor boiler! I bought a place up near Millerstown built in 2002. Not a huge place at all found a $300 hearthstone I'll use it for a bit then I'll get an Ashford 30. Did you get both of yours at bowmans?
I got my King from Bowmans..
I actually bought 2 Princesses, used, I have one, the other I have to go to Newyork to pick up yet..
This wintr's been a bietttchh..

Status
Not open for further replies.