Worth buying 19 year old used hearthstone Phoenix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For me the 8 years of use are nothing compared to the year sitting outside. I wouldn't pay more that $150 to $200. If that
That’s true. The cement is water soluble and you know it was sweating like crazy under that tarp.

Reactions: bholler
To break one down to rebuild it we dampen the joints with a spray bottle several times, then wrap it in plastic overnight. It really helps the stones come out easier.

To break one down to rebuild it we dampen the joints with a spray bottle several times, then wrap it in plastic overnight. It really helps the stones come out easier.
Good grief, I am glad I have a steel stove.

Good grief, I am glad I have a steel stove.
The difference is a cast or stove stove can be rebuilt. A steel stove can't. There are pluses and minuses to each

Reactions: Mech e
Fyi- I have inspected the new Hearthstones at my dealer, and the Heritage definitely has a redesigned door latch system with a replaceable wear component. The handles seem beefier than the old decorative style too.

Reactions: Highbeam
Not to beat a dead poorly engineered horse.. the Heritage has an optional ashpan. It’s a total PITA to install. The first year they didn’t seal tight to the floor of the stove. For several years now the revision is to add an additional gasket to the existing gasket. Really?