Jotul F55 V2 Carrabassett or Jotul F500 Oslo V3 or Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Definitely. These stoves have a conventional design that has been out for a long time. Fewer parts and simpler maintenance. The prior F500 has this style secondary combustion system.

Just an FYI when planning. Short legs are only approved on Jotul stoves for use on masonry fireplace hearths, not on hearth pads in front of the fireplace hearth.

Short Leg Kit - #157636 This kit includes four, 4 1/4” steel legs which allow stove installation into a fireplace opening height as low as 26 1/4”. Approved only for code-approved, masonry fireplace hearth mount installation.
I see. And yes, I was reading that about the shorter legs, which makes sense.

Well if you have the F100….. it’s a good room heater add a blower down on the floor (make sure you have a lock off plate). Short burn times but it’s hard to beat the price that one;). (It’s small it’s not a whole h use stove). But I bet you could sell it for 1000$ now if it’s good shape. I wouldn’t pay that much but there are not many small stoves like that in the market now.

Look up in the manual and see how you have to disassemble the F45 to clean it. If it’s rear vented to a T is probably an every other year thing. If it’s top vented and pointed inside the fireplace it would be a PITA.
It's Never been used. I was planning on just using the F100 for emergencies and just installing that, but I really desire a whole house system. I grew up with wood heating, and I really enjoy any excuse to go outside. If I get disenchanted with the way stoves are made now, I might just use it lol.

Look up in the manual and see how you have to disassemble the F45 to clean it. If it’s rear vented to a T is probably an every other year thing. If it’s top vented and pointed inside the fireplace it would be a PITA.
That's a good point and about my only concern with this stove. The top lid gets removed. To Jotul's credit, the procedure is well documented in the appendix of the manual.

Reactions: EbS-P
It's Never been used. I was planning on just using the F100 for emergencies and just installing that, but I really desire a whole house system. I grew up with wood heating, and I really enjoy any excuse to go outside. If I get disenchanted with the way stoves are made now, I might just use it lol.
There are really good stoves made now, some bad ones too. The smart decision is to spend money and time on air sealing with a blower door test (tax credit) then get a decent heatpump/ac (tax credit). Then pend what’s leftover on wood heat. ( possible tax credit if you choose the right stove).

I missed that the chimney is cut off in the attic. What’s your total budget for the stove installation?

There are really good stoves made now, some bad ones too. The smart decision is to spend money and time on air sealing with a blower door test (tax credit) then get a decent heatpump/ac (tax credit). Then pend what’s leftover on wood heat. ( possible tax credit if you choose the right stove).

I missed that the chimney is cut off in the attic. What’s your total budget for the stove installation?
This is the last step in my heating line up, did AC and heating already this year. The Total budget is roughly 8-10 (that's the stove left over budget). I already have the stove pipe needed to run from the attic out, and the chimney installers use the same pipe so they told me they could use mine to save me some money. 1,200 for linear, 2 for installation
The ideal price for the stove is under 5... To stay around that 8-10 range

This is the last step in my heating line up, did AC and heating already this year. The Total budget is roughly 8-10 (that's the stove left over budget). I already have the stove pipe needed to run from the attic out, and the chimney installers use the same pipe so they told me they could use mine to save me some money. 1,200 for linear, 2 for installation
The ideal price for the stove is under 5... To stay around that 8-10 range
By stove pipe you mean Class A chimney? Interior double wall can not run through the attic.

And you are sure you don’t want something like a PE T5 insert?
I was told by the inspectors/installers that the fireplace is much too small for an insert like that. (The back of the chimney is 15 inches from the outside edge of the hearth) and that no current inserts could fit... I double checked and T5 is too long and too wide...I've gone down the rabbit whole and they're right unless I want something that heats one room... Which I already have lol.

I'm really torn on the F500 v3... as it does seem to have a bit of problems with the cat... And I could see why. I also read where people have to clean the cat and the problems go away. If it wasn't for the cat issues it seems like a perfect design and fit for my house. I would like to know how many were purchased vs had problems, forums are notorious for painting worse pictures because happy customers don't post half as often.

I'm assuming the new VC is much worse? I see horrible things posted on stoves made during the changes of hands, but not as much on the current line up...

Right now, I'm just going off the models my dealer offers...

And you are sure you don’t want something like a PE T5 insert?

Screenshot_20231110-064316_Drive.jpg
for reference here are my measurements

The rear outlet in the stoves is about the same height as the stove itself. Check the manuals for a urinal height. they don’t sell the F100 new anymore. F55 short legs need 27 1/4” or taller.

View attachment 318278
I must have made a mistake. My hearth is 9 inches. So total space is 36". Plenty of room for even top rear venting stoves. Not sure where I got 3".... no need for short legs luckily

From all that's been said Right now my gut says the F55, and I'll assume I'm choking it down 50% most of the time and running fans where needed. That way I can load a bigger fire, add an extra hour to my choked down night time brun times.

With sub 20% moisture wood this shouldn't be an issue right?

If I'm misunderstanding btu properties though... I could see myself just sticking with the f45

From all that's been said Right now my gut says the F55, and I'll assume I'm choking it down 50% most of the time and running fans where needed. That way I can load a bigger fire, add an extra hour to my choked down night time brun times.

With sub 20% moisture wood this shouldn't be an issue right?

If I'm misunderstanding btu properties though... I could see myself just sticking with the f45
Additionally... I have a massive double window in the fireplace room that opens... So if it gets too hot I do have a massive heat escape option...

Another option is putting a thimble into the chimney above the fireplace. That would open you up to just about any stove option

Ah, this had not occurred to me, I will look into that!
I’d go this route if you are ok sacrificing the floor space. You will use double wall so you can plan accordingly for combustible clearances like to the mantle.

I talked it over with the stove pros, and my wife.

The Thimble would add an extra layer of complexity and price. The top of the chimney is surrounded by combustibles and would need to be ripped out (not as simple as it looks in the pics, plus the chimney stability could be compromised as it's 100 to 150 years old). Best path forward for an 8K installation cost is to run a tee... We decided on the F45 as mentioned above, with our insulation level being Very high, with the stove getting very positive reviews online, and a more tried and true baffle system (staying away from the Cat and tax credit) that this would be the best path forward for our house and wants. Worst case, I can turn the HV fan on (which is two rooms over on the same level) on very cold nights, which isn't but a couple days/weeks a year in ohio. plus this gives me an extra grand for add ons (like heat propelled fans and other fans/doodads around the house)

My Dad said they bought Soap stone from a quarry as a kid and just laid it on the top and sides to help their undersized stove.

This thread has helped me substantially as I'm someone who always wants to make big purchases as best I can. I'm going to ask the stove company to give me an estimate with the F 45 and go from there!

I agree EBS-P and Bholler there would be much better overall options with your recommended installation style, but I think this stove seems pretty solid still, about 80 to 90% what I want and need. I have also convinced the wife to fill the wood stove when I'm out of the house, which was why I was looking for longer burn times in the first place lol.

Reactions: bholler
Sounds like a good choice. The F45 is easy to operate, glass stays super clean and you should have no problem achieving a 10+ hour burn time.

No need to lay soapstone on top or side to help out this stove, it will do fine as is. A couple of strategically place fans and vents should help move more heat around.

Thanks guys! I'm sure it will be a while before install. but once it is, I will show the completed job. the room will also look pretty good by that point. I won't be as embarrassed to show haha!

Reactions: bigealta
Thanks guys! I'm sure it will be a while before install. but once it is, I will show the completed job. the room will also look pretty good by that point. I won't be as embarrassed to show haha!

Hopefully you already have your wood, if not you need to get it asap or you will not be happy with any stove.

I think you will like the stove. It's well made.
My Dad said they bought Soap stone from a quarry as a kid and just laid it on the top and sides to help their undersized stove.
The cast iron jacket on the F45 adds a lot of mass for thermal storage.

Reactions: Thundermonkey
Hopefully you already have your wood, if not you need to get it asap or you will not be happy with any stove.
as a kid I learned my lesson from my dad with one bad unprepared winter.

I have two cords that are probably borderline seasoned, the plan is to be mostly ready by next season and 100% ready by two seasons from now, I have some 2 year old maple, but it wasn't split so I imagine the interior moisture content is much higher. if it's not ready this year I am fine with that. If I need to, I will get a hold of ideal wood for a couple break in fires. There is a long line for installations at my local stove dealer. I imagine I won't get in until early February (won't know until I get the estimate changed from the hearthstone and sign off.